How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Oct 10th, '14, 12:27

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by Alex » Oct 10th, '14, 12:27

LIterally lol'd

Yeah the particles are lovely....sadly this one was pretty big and left a bit of a jarring hole right in the wrong place for me. I just knew straight away I wouldn't be able to get over it :lol:

Oct 10th, '14, 12:38

by saxon75 » Oct 10th, '14, 12:38

Chip wrote:In addition to the shudei Yamada Sou, I added a Hokujo ... or two that Toru just added. :mrgreen: A really nice Mogake and Mayake.
I've been wanting a Hokujo mogake piece for some time now. They're just so pretty.

Oct 10th, '14, 13:10

by Teaism » Oct 10th, '14, 13:10

Alex wrote: Just got my first Yukamashi in the post today! this will cheer me up! oh wait............
IMG_1346.JPG
Oh dear oh dear Alex! Not another one.

Not to worry! Two negatives will add up to a positive. Some people believe a broken treasure propose is to take over our lousy luck. So good luck to you for your next find!

Have a great day!

Cheers! :D

Oct 10th, '14, 13:26

by Alex » Oct 10th, '14, 13:26

Thanks Teaism!

The seaweed one that just sold on artistic was the best I've ever seen....nearly bought it myself.....is that now yours chip?

Here's the pot I went for off Hojo
tj050 250ml.jpg
tj050 250ml.jpg (6.24 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Last edited by Alex on Oct 10th, '14, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

Oct 10th, '14, 13:30

by Puk » Oct 10th, '14, 13:30

Alex wrote: Just got my first Yukamashi in the post today! this will cheer me up! oh wait............
IMG_1346.JPG
Alex, what I see is an opportunity for KINTSUGI!!!! I've been daring myself to, er, drop one of my cups...
Chip wrote:
Alex wrote:
Puk wrote:
Alex wrote:LOL yeah. I honestly had no idea how I held off this long.
I just came back from a store here and wow they had some gorgeous Yamada Sou pieces, including a red kyusu, but not round like yours. I think my eyeballs fell out. Seeing and handling things in-person really hurts. Good investment there.
Must be so nice to examine stuff in person. I wouldn't be able to contain myself in a teaware store. :lol:
I know I shared this on TeaChat likely years ago ... but this reminds me of my first visit to the Ito-En store before it closed. Up to this point, I had only seen mass produced and rather junky and large Kyusu (this was before we had the resources we have at our fingertips today).

I saw a wall of pots ... to my excitement, they had Kyusu covering the entire wall setting on glass shelves under spotlights!!! I walked over not knowing what a good kyusu that was well crafted by an artisan even looked like. But was in awe. I imagine I looked hypnotized to an onlooker.

They had a bunch of shudei, tiny lil things I thought. The clay was rough, In hindsight, I am betting it was created by one of the Yamada, but not Yamada Sou due to the time frame.

I was not overly impressed with the rugged appearance and tiny size (what did I know, right?). Nevertheless, I picked it up, instinctively ... (must hold, touch, right?).

It is as light as a feather, I remember it almost seemed to jump and fly off the shelf as I picked it up which shocked me more than a bit. The clay seemed paper thin to make it this light (hmm, must be cheap to be so light, right?)

I did not see the price ... must be on the bottom, right?

I flipped it over, one handed, holding the lid with my thumb as I did with my cheapy kyusu many times as I poured.

What, OMG, it was around 400 USD I remember, my right hand holding the kyusu began to tremble, literally. I quickly brought my left hand up to assist the right hand and in a firm grasp I shakily set it back down on the now intimidating and very hard glass shelf.

And I stepped back a step ... and finally began to breath again.

Nothing like seeing a display of REAL kyusu for the first time, right? :mrgreen:
Your soul kinda flies up into your throat and you start to stutter. The saleswoman actually laughed at me. And I was so giddy that I actually managed to drop the lid of a 300$ hagiyaki houhin. (!!!) Lucky I was sitting down at a table at the time, so no harm done, except to my heart.

I did touch the Yamada Sou pieces, being floored by a mini shiboridashi at that time but didn't look at the pricetag, figuring that I would never. Way too classy for me right now. But oh, look, a week later and my feet had brought me back there....and then I sat there playing with it for an hour, telling myself, no. I shouldn't.

And then I bought it.

Oct 10th, '14, 13:32

by Alex » Oct 10th, '14, 13:32

Got pics? need pics after such a vivid story :D

Oct 10th, '14, 17:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 10th, '14, 17:34

Alex wrote:Thanks Teaism!

The seaweed one that just sold on artistic was the best I've ever seen....nearly bought it myself.....is that now yours chip?

tj050 250ml.jpg
... ummmm, yezzzz. Yeah, best Hokujo mogake I have seen since I have been looking seriously for one.

Beautiful replacement selection!

Oct 10th, '14, 17:40
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 10th, '14, 17:40

Alex wrote:Got pics? need pics after such a vivid story :D
lol, I was hoping for a YouTube video of Puk's shopping experience, but I had a good time envisioning it. It was easy, maybe too much empathy on my part. :mrgreen: kind of a been there and done that, but I did not buy in mine.

Oct 10th, '14, 17:59

by Alex » Oct 10th, '14, 17:59

Chip wrote:

tj050 250ml.jpg
... ummmm, yezzzz. Yeah, best Hokujo mogake I have seen since I have been looking seriously for one.

Thanks Chip.....it was expensive but I've been wanting to try one for ages and couldn't resist the shape of this one.

I've not seen a mogake like it. The balance on it is perfect. I'm glad you got it.....means hopefully at least I'll see it again :mrgreen:

Oct 11th, '14, 10:10

by Puk » Oct 11th, '14, 10:10

Chip wrote: lol, I was hoping for a YouTube video of Puk's shopping experience, but I had a good time envisioning it. It was easy, maybe too much empathy on my part. :mrgreen: kind of a been there and done that, but I did not buy in mine.
I'm just curious and you don't actually have to answer, but approximately how many years ago were you a novice to kyusu in the Ito-En store?

Teaism wrote: Not to worry! Two negatives will add up to a positive. Some people believe a broken treasure propose is to take over our lousy luck. So good luck to you for your next find!
Wow, I know that sentiment... someone once told me that a precious jade bracelet breaking is same, in that it's saving your life.
Alex wrote:
Chip wrote:

tj050 250ml.jpg

Thanks Chip.....it was expensive but I've been wanting to try one for ages and couldn't resist the shape of this one.

I've not seen a mogake like it. The balance on it is perfect. I'm glad you got it.....means hopefully at least I'll see it again :mrgreen:
I hope we'll see personal pics soon of both :) I'm not sure which Hokujo mogake you're referring to and now I want to know. And who made that buttery smooth one from Hojo? I guess I can go look it up myself. Lovely!

BTW, what did you do with your poor broken piece, Alex? Was it insured?

Oct 11th, '14, 10:44

by kyarazen » Oct 11th, '14, 10:44

have very few kyusus! a recent addition to my tea table

yixing, made for the japanese market then :)

handle's hollow :D

Oct 11th, '14, 11:28

by dilettante » Oct 11th, '14, 11:28

hope u didnt pay too much for it... it looks odd

Oct 11th, '14, 12:56

by kyarazen » Oct 11th, '14, 12:56

dilettante wrote:hope u didnt pay too much for it... it looks odd
$18 :( :( i think i overpaid then 8)

Oct 14th, '14, 07:12

by Alex » Oct 14th, '14, 07:12

tj050 250ml.jpg

Got this one today will take some pictures soon....

-Clays is soooo smooth to such, with a lovely softness
-Pour surprised me as its one of the best I've used....it kind of builds up the pressure in the spout and then comes out super clean and sharp....didnt expect that from the pics I've seen
-Pot feels chunky in the hand but in a good way.
-Clay seems to make body super strong...had some fuka in it and the unami was insane like you could bite in to it.
-11 hole direct filter so not as good as my nosaka for super broken fuka, but due to the shape still do-able if half filled, and the fuka I like these days is pretty whole leaf.
-Very pleased.....expensive but I love it and it sailed through customs without picking up the $80 of fees that it could have.

p.s hibiki-an.com got another yakamashi to me already, superb service from them and it arrived in same post as my new kyusu!

Oct 14th, '14, 11:07

by Alex » Oct 14th, '14, 11:07

Pics as promised.....raining all the time here so excuse the rain :lol:

IMG_1348.JPG
IMG_1348.JPG (36.16 KiB) Viewed 824 times
IMG_1350.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG (23.45 KiB) Viewed 824 times
IMG_1351.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG (15.75 KiB) Viewed 824 times

+ Post Reply