Feb 2nd, '12, 14:09

Mashiko Teaware of Japan 101

by Saladin » Feb 2nd, '12, 14:09

[Moderator Edit: this Mashiko Teaware of Japan discussion was taking place in the teaware show off topic. Since I sense most of us know little to nothing about "Mashiko," we decided to split off the discussion into its own topic.]

My newest mantle exhibition. :D
Attachments
mashiko_yunomi_friends.jpg
mashiko_yunomi_friends.jpg (27.86 KiB) Viewed 2429 times

Feb 3rd, '12, 16:24

Re: NEWEST CHAPTER! Show Off Your Pots and Cups XVII

by JBaymore » Feb 3rd, '12, 16:24

Nice Saladin. I recognize a few things there. :wink:

best,

............john

Feb 3rd, '12, 20:38

Mashiko Teaware of Japan 101

by Saladin » Feb 3rd, '12, 20:38

JBaymore wrote:Nice Saladin. I recognize a few things there. :wink:

best,

............john

Thanks John, I'm glad... :wink: Most of these are pretty easy. It would seem I'm collecting Mashiko Yunomi. Any other artists you'd suggest I look for?

John

Feb 4th, '12, 11:30

by JBaymore » Feb 4th, '12, 11:30

Saladin wrote: Thanks John, I'm glad... :wink: Most of these are pretty easy. It would seem I'm collecting Mashiko Yunomi. Any other artists you'd suggest I look for?
John,

As you know, good potters in Mashiko are like fleas on a stray dog :wink: . So this list could take forever. I'll cut it down.

One of the "prize" ones is of course Kamoda Shoji.....if you can find one... and if you can afford it. I never had the pleasure of meeting him before he died; he died pretty young. Yunomi are not common from him. Pricing will be about like Hamada Shoji. (Get a mortgage :wink: ).

And another Mashiko "biggie" like Kamoda-san to strive for is Goda Yoshimichi. I did have the honor of spending some time at his studio before he died. QUITE a man. Impressive. When I met him he was probably 80-85 years old or so.... but if you saw some of this pieces, you'd swear they were made by a 25 year old with good skills and fresh new ideas. If you find his work, it'll also be "pricey".... maybe more between Hamada Shinsaku's and Hamada Shoji' works.

You certinaly need a "classic" Matsuzaki Ken yunomi for your collection. :wink: Either his Oribe or his finger-wiped-on thick shinos. He just rebuilt his wood kiln after the earthquake. I was there visiting with him in September just after his first firing of the new kiln. GREAT results .......which if he is getting that from the first firing..... bodes well for the future.

A very good friend who shows in Mashiko all the time and Mashiko seems to consider "its own", but technically his actual kiln is just over the border in Motegi, is Ogawa Hirohisa. He's in about the Hamada Tomoo level of "fame" in Japan. Major award winner in major competitions. He unfortunately lost his big anagama in the earthquake. He says he won't rebuild it until the Mashiko economy turns around. He's firing only oil and gas at the moment. KILLER Ki-seto and Oribe work.

Another one in pretty much the same "tier" as Ogawa-san is Saeki Moriyoshi. His use of layers of clay creating landscapes is awesome. I don't think I have ever seen a yunomi by him though. I've seen many chawan though. Chawan pricing runs in the 220,000 Yen range to give you an idea.

Senda Yoshiaki makes some killer hand-built inlaid clay forms. Usually in a brown and white combination. REALLY nice pieces.

Miyake Youji does some great stuf with floral motifs and gold and silver lusters on slip covered dry-ish clay surfaces.

Matsubara Naoyuki is the Mashiko potter whose work I saw many, many years ago that inspired me to really start using the overglaze enamels I had been using on other works on my shino glazes. My avatar here on TeaChat is a good example of where I took this general idea. His work is of course different (and better).

In the "newer generation" of folks exploring new forms and ideas arena, check out Asada Emiko and her husband Yokoo Satoshi. And Ishijima Akihiro. And Baba Yuchiko....... nice overglaze enamel work.

And don't forget to check out expatriates Andrew Gemrich and Harvey Young.

Hope that info is useful. I'm sure I am forgetting somebody that I SHOULD clearly include here (I'm getting old)...... but this is a start.

best,

.....................john

Feb 4th, '12, 15:47

by Saladin » Feb 4th, '12, 15:47

Wow, thanks for all of that info! I did a quick google image search for one of those artists and wound up on this crazy auction site ( not sure how it works, or if it's legit) with more excellent Mashiko cups than I have ever seen. :shock: I really like one by Kimura Ichiro. http://one-jp.com/category/lots/29285/7

I clearly need a bigger house :lol: and to just move there I guess.. Plus Lotto winnings. :D
Last edited by Saladin on Feb 4th, '12, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 4th, '12, 16:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 4th, '12, 16:29

I think Mashiko is a new one for me. :oops: I will have to read up on it. :idea:

Thanks for sharing as always!

Feb 4th, '12, 18:01

by Saladin » Feb 4th, '12, 18:01

Glad you like them! Here is a revised image for those of you wondering about the artists who made these cups. Mashiko pottery was particularly influential on Western studio ceramics via Hamada Shoji.
Last edited by Saladin on Feb 4th, '12, 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

Feb 4th, '12, 18:07

by JBaymore » Feb 4th, '12, 18:07

Chip wrote:I think Mashiko is a new one for me. :oops: I will have to read up on it. :idea:

Thanks for sharing as always!
Maybe at some point I can put together a TeaChat "teaware excursion" to Japan for you and the forum members. :wink:

HAMADA Shoji is arguably the most influential potter of the last century. He and an expatriate Englishman, Bernard Leach, had a profund impact on the development of studio ceramics around the world from the 40's onward to this day. Most potters of my generaltion were directly touched by their influence, and as teachers of the future generaltions.... that legacy has been passed forward on both overt and subtle ways.

HAMADA Shoji decided to settle in the town of Mashiko, which is about 100 km north of Tokyo. His influence caused the town of Mashiko to become a "hotbed" of ceramics, open to foreigners and Japanese outsiders, and resulted in the ballooning of the potter population there.

The three most notable potters from Mashiko are Hamada Shoji, Kamoda Shoji, and Shimaoka Tatsuzo. Hanada and Shimaoka were designated Ningen Kokuho ("Japanese Living National Treasures"). Hamada Shoji's son Shinsaku is still alive and working, as is his grandson Tomoo. Shimaoka's son Kei is continuing his father's tradition.

Then there are a TON of other REALLY good potters there. Before the earthquake situation devastated Mashiko, there were 400 potteries (not potters...... potteries) and about 60 ceramic galleries in Mashiko. That number is a bit in flux now due to the economic mess caused by the earthquake. But there are still a LOT of potters and galleries there.

I am speaking on this Mashiko and the earthquake subject at the coming National Council for Education in the Ceramic Arts conference (NCECA) in Seattle, Washington in late March.

best,

...................john

Feb 4th, '12, 18:08

by JBaymore » Feb 4th, '12, 18:08

John,

Ahhh you labeled them while I was writing. I was staying away from mentioning that stuff in case you wanted that info not to be public.

best,

..................john

Feb 4th, '12, 18:10

by JBaymore » Feb 4th, '12, 18:10

And since you labeled them........

The SAKUMA family are the people who first took in HAMADA Shoji when he arrived in Mashiko. At first the potters in Mashiko were a bit "unsure" of this "outsider" potter guy coming from the city with the formal ceramic technical education. The SAKUMA family "stepped to the plate".

best,

................john

Feb 4th, '12, 18:48

by Chip » Feb 4th, '12, 18:48

This is a bit of a Mashiko 101 for many of us, perhaps I could split this off the Show Off topic and onto a new Mashiko topic?

What say you :?:

Feb 4th, '12, 19:00

by Saladin » Feb 4th, '12, 19:00

JBaymore wrote:John,

Ahhh you labeled them while I was writing. I was staying away from mentioning that stuff in case you wanted that info not to be public.

best,

..................john

Luckily my mantle whereabouts is a closely guarded secret! They are what they are I suppose... some obvious, some not so obvious. Some of these were incredibly inexpensive, and a few were kinda spendy, as they say here in Oregon. Instead of spending money on electronics or fancy Italian shoes I've collected pots!

Feb 4th, '12, 19:01

by Saladin » Feb 4th, '12, 19:01

Chip wrote:This is a bit of a Mashiko 101 for many of us, perhaps I could split this off the Show Off topic and onto a new Mashiko topic?

What say you :?:
Fine with me! I'd love to see some of John's photos. :D

Feb 4th, '12, 19:04

by JBaymore » Feb 4th, '12, 19:04

No problem Chip.

best,

..................john

Feb 6th, '12, 05:34

by Stentor » Feb 6th, '12, 05:34

Some very informative posts. Thank you, John!

That's a beautiful collection, Saladin. Very nicely arranged, as well. A different style of pottery than what you would see on display at my place but it definitely has its appeal!
That's one of the things about getting into tea pottery. There's some sort of gateway drug like Hagi and Tokoname were for me and then you start to branch out and suddenly like all these other types of pottery that you had never even heard of before.
I guess it comes with getting to know and learning to appreciate the material and craftsmanship more and more.

I don't know what it is... They are simply beautiful objects.

+ Post Reply