Feb 26th 14 10:36 am
Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 9th 12 7:14 pm

Sencha cup

by Jadee » Feb 26th 14 10:36 am

I want a new sencha cup and I still can't decide what to get. Any recomendation on what to buy?

User avatar
Feb 26th 14 12:09 pm
Posts: 1424
Joined: Oct 5th 09 9:03 am
Location: UK

Re: Sencha cup

by Alex » Feb 26th 14 12:09 pm

It depends what you want. There's so many styles. Do you want rugged hagi? clean clay? or porcelain?

I personally like thin porcelain. So recommend this or using the bowl from a nice gaiwan (which is what I do with the summer gaiwan from redblossomtea)

http://www.everyonestea.com/product/134

if you want clay then this

http://www.tokoname.or.jp/teapot/maker_ ... kujo19.htm

or if you like rugged clay pieces then why not grab this lovely piece from our very own tea swap.

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19563

Feb 26th 14 1:01 pm
Posts: 18
Joined: Feb 9th 12 7:14 pm

Re: Sencha cup

by Jadee » Feb 26th 14 1:01 pm

I'm not a big fan of rugged peaces. I'm looking more for a thin porcelain. This elegant thin Wabi-iki sencha cup from everyonestea looks really nice and it could be a winner.

User avatar
Feb 26th 14 2:28 pm
Posts: 1254
Joined: Nov 7th 07 5:23 pm

Re: Sencha cup

by JRS22 » Feb 26th 14 2:28 pm

Have you considered a hand made yunomi from one of the tea ware artisans? Shyrabbit, for one, has a variety of yunomi, some delicate and some rugged, as does Shawn from Greenwood Studios.

Here's an example of a yunomi I purchased recently from Shyrabbit:

Image

This is an example of a delicate cup. Glazes are unique and varied.

User avatar
Feb 26th 14 4:22 pm
Posts: 1424
Joined: Oct 5th 09 9:03 am
Location: UK

Re: Sencha cup

by Alex » Feb 26th 14 4:22 pm

Jadee wrote:I'm not a big fan of rugged peaces. I'm looking more for a thin porcelain. This elegant thin Wabi-iki sencha cup from everyonestea looks really nice and it could be a winner.

Well they are great cups as I have a couple so highly recommend. You can comfortably get 120ml in them as well.

User avatar
Feb 26th 14 6:15 pm
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Sencha cup

by Chip » Feb 26th 14 6:15 pm

JRS22 wrote:Have you considered a hand made yunomi from one of the tea ware artisans? Shyrabbit, for one, has a variety of yunomi, some delicate and some rugged, as does Shawn from Greenwood Studios.

Here's an example of a yunomi I purchased recently from Shyrabbit:

Image

This is an example of a delicate cup. Glazes are unique and varied.
+1 on both of these artisan. I have a few of Shawn's very delicate-like porcelain cups that are also really very nice versus a mass production cup. This does come down to personal preferences of course. I would just rather accentuate my tea with a unique and interesting cup. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Feb 26th 14 7:34 pm
Posts: 5916
Joined: Jan 10th 10 9:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Sencha cup

by debunix » Feb 26th 14 7:34 pm

I would certainly head to our teaware artisan pages, because I have found everything from the most robust, bold pieces

Image

to the most delicate, translucent little cups

Image

and if you don't see exactly what you want on current offer from one of them, but see something you do like in their topic, they'd probably be happy to take a special order, if they still have the clay/glaze stuffs available.

User avatar
Feb 26th 14 7:52 pm
Posts: 21658
Joined: Apr 23rd 06 12:52 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Sencha cup

by Chip » Feb 26th 14 7:52 pm

It is always interesting to watch member tastes in teawares (quickly) evolve ... once bitten. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Feb 26th 14 9:39 pm
Posts: 1254
Joined: Nov 7th 07 5:23 pm

Re: Sencha cup

by JRS22 » Feb 26th 14 9:39 pm

Chip wrote:It is always interesting to watch member tastes in teawares (quickly) evolve ... once bitten. :mrgreen:
Perhaps the Teaware Addiction Thread should be a 'sticky' so people have an idea what they're getting into.

User avatar
Feb 26th 14 10:49 pm
Posts: 2240
Joined: Jul 22nd 09 2:55 pm
Location: Capital of the Mitten

Re: Sencha cup

by AdamMY » Feb 26th 14 10:49 pm

JRS22 wrote:
Chip wrote:It is always interesting to watch member tastes in teawares (quickly) evolve ... once bitten. :mrgreen:
Perhaps the Teaware Addiction Thread should be a 'sticky' so people have an idea what they're getting into.
You mean like the warning labels on packs of Cigarettes? :twisted: :lol: