Oct 17th, '14, 06:29

Re: Uneven colour on a Shigaraki kyusu

by Teaism » Oct 17th, '14, 06:29

Arioche wrote:
Just wondering, what teas do you generally use your Shiggies for brewing? In your opinion, would it be fine for yanchas?
Hi Arioche,

So far, I have only use the shiggies teapot for younger raw Puer (those less than 10 years) and it works pretty well.

I tasted Yancha brewed in shiggies once and think it is not suitable. It was brewed in the same Yancha I am familiar with by another tea friend. A few of us who have tasted the tea concluded that it was not suitable.

I haven't explore it with other tea any further. I have a whole cabinet of teapots of around 100 pots that I will use regularly so there are many favorite pots for many other teas. I will update if I do in future.

Generally, when I use teapot, it is just for the enjoyment of the whole tea ceremony. For serious tasting and evaluation of tea, I use Gaiwan or porcelain teapots. In fact, a simple Gaiwan can almost rule it all but life is full of choices.

Have a nice day!

Cheers! :D

Oct 17th, '14, 10:53
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 17th, '14, 10:53

Teaism wrote:I bought a few shiggy from the recent batch and enjoy using them thoroughly. The uneven color is almost unnoticeable. They looks even to me. I have the earlier 1st and second batch of shiggy and I believe this is the 3rd batch. All of them have their own personality and character.

The shiggy definitively have the wabi sabi feel. For me personally wabi sabi is something that I feel rather than see, being at peace with something personal and humble over time. A good article on it, which is also related to tea, can be found here: http://nobleharbor.com/tea/chado/WhatIsWabi-Sabi.htm

Great article, thank you for sharing it with us. It seems I have some wabi - sabi going on ... 8)

Oct 19th, '14, 06:25
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Oct 19th, '14, 06:25

Chip wrote:
Teaism wrote:I bought a few shiggy from the recent batch and enjoy using them thoroughly. The uneven color is almost unnoticeable. They looks even to me. I have the earlier 1st and second batch of shiggy and I believe this is the 3rd batch. All of them have their own personality and character.

The shiggy definitively have the wabi sabi feel. For me personally wabi sabi is something that I feel rather than see, being at peace with something personal and humble over time. A good article on it, which is also related to tea, can be found here: http://nobleharbor.com/tea/chado/WhatIsWabi-Sabi.htm

Great article, thank you for sharing it with us. It seems I have some wabi - sabi going on ... 8)

That was a good article, needs a little more fact checking but the overall impression was very informative and a good break down, I also saw Cadwallader Sensei was quoted, I currently study under him here in Kyoto. he just recently gifted me two Hana-ire that he no longer needed in his impressive collection, and didn't want to move to his new residence.

Oct 22nd, '14, 19:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Oct 22nd, '14, 19:34

Received my 2 new shiggies today. Did not get to open until after sundown ... so cannot conclude much ... except clearly the clay of the lid is colored differently, the clay is clearly smoother, and clearly it will not matter to me. :mrgreen:

This will serve to identify which batch they came from. I have a first batch shiggy which has no such variations but has other variations through use.

I mentioned to Akira about ensuing discussions w/o mentioning specifics. He did reply that he does check out TeaChat. I wonder if anyone mentioned this discussion to him and what response he had.

+ Post Reply