User avatar
Sep 7th, '15, 14:16
Posts: 379
Joined: Jan 5th, '14, 06:48
Location: Sneeeeaking

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by Fuut » Sep 7th, '15, 14:16

hobin wrote:Beautiful chawan! I like the colour, not so common for ohiyaki...the typical ameyu glaze is there though, in the small vertical stripe and in the foot! also the shape is one of my favourite, with a 5 hill- edge, (I've read somewhere that the hills represent the 5 kyoto zen temples)
Thank you, and after reading your comment :roll: , i slightly remember reading or hearing something like the 5 hill rim. At this moment i don't have time to recheck the following, but it might be from this demonstration that i do recall :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdKtf90rN0

User avatar
Sep 7th, '15, 14:18
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 7th, '15, 14:18

I searched for reference and found another meaning for the 5 hills
Attachments
go-gaku.jpg
go-gaku.jpg (25.03 KiB) Viewed 797 times

User avatar
Sep 7th, '15, 23:28
Posts: 4584
Joined: Apr 1st, '09, 00:48
Location: Bangkok

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by Tead Off » Sep 7th, '15, 23:28

This would be more inline with the meaning of the 5 raised edges of the raku chawan. Also, the representation of mountains carved or glazed into the exterior would fit this, too. But, the more common meaning I've read was it represented Mt. Fuji.

User avatar
Sep 8th, '15, 08:32
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 8th, '15, 08:32

Fuut wrote:
hobin wrote:Beautiful chawan! I like the colour, not so common for ohiyaki...the typical ameyu glaze is there though, in the small vertical stripe and in the foot! also the shape is one of my favourite, with a 5 hill- edge, (I've read somewhere that the hills represent the 5 kyoto zen temples)
Thank you, and after reading your comment :roll: , i slightly remember reading or hearing something like the 5 hill rim. At this moment i don't have time to recheck the following, but it might be from this demonstration that i do recall :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdKtf90rN0
interesting video. one can see how the art of tebineri is strongly linked with chanoyu. the bowl is designed to second each gesture of the tea master, it's made to be felt in the hands

User avatar
Sep 8th, '15, 18:17
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 8th, '15, 18:17

Tead Off wrote:This would be more inline with the meaning of the 5 raised edges of the raku chawan. Also, the representation of mountains carved or glazed into the exterior would fit this, too. But, the more common meaning I've read was it represented Mt. Fuji.
yes, mount fuji! I particularly like fujiyama raku and ohi :D

here are "3 views of mount fuji"
Attachments
29619_RakuChawan1.JPG
29619_RakuChawan1.JPG (24.77 KiB) Viewed 762 times
20719.jpg
20719.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 762 times
15e3su6g8ldkj.jpg
15e3su6g8ldkj.jpg (22.83 KiB) Viewed 762 times

User avatar
Sep 8th, '15, 18:18
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 8th, '15, 18:18

three more...
Attachments
DSCN0498.JPG
DSCN0498.JPG (14.66 KiB) Viewed 761 times
DSCN0050.JPG
DSCN0050.JPG (19.28 KiB) Viewed 761 times
224235263_624.v1434720043.jpg
224235263_624.v1434720043.jpg (20 KiB) Viewed 761 times

User avatar
Sep 9th, '15, 07:17
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 9th, '15, 07:17

Tead Off wrote:When I was in the Ohi Museum, I was surprised to see the amount of work that was not done with the common Ame glaze. There's a lot of varied work and much more than just bowls that we are used to seeing
another traditional glaze for ohi is green:

http://www.jauce.com/auction/197584639
http://www.jauce.com/auction/v417470562
http://www.jauce.com/auction/u83759758

User avatar
Sep 9th, '15, 13:40
Posts: 379
Joined: Jan 5th, '14, 06:48
Location: Sneeeeaking

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by Fuut » Sep 9th, '15, 13:40

I like these two the most :!:
hobin wrote:
Especially with the moon in the background.
Attachments
file.jpg
file.jpg (22.61 KiB) Viewed 733 times

User avatar
Sep 12th, '15, 18:14
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 12th, '15, 18:14

my fujiyama ohi has finally arrived (the picture doesn't do it justice though) :D
Attachments
fuji_ohi.jpg
fuji_ohi.jpg (41.04 KiB) Viewed 695 times

User avatar
Sep 13th, '15, 03:24
Posts: 379
Joined: Jan 5th, '14, 06:48
Location: Sneeeeaking

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by Fuut » Sep 13th, '15, 03:24

Hey nice!

Do you generally put new pieces in boiling water, to clean them and all?

User avatar
Sep 13th, '15, 04:06
Posts: 1899
Joined: Mar 22nd, '08, 22:26
Location: Shanghai

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by chrl42 » Sep 13th, '15, 04:06

hobin wrote:three more...
these are really awesome teacups..

are they classified as Bizen? :)

User avatar
Sep 13th, '15, 08:38
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 13th, '15, 08:38

Fuut wrote:Hey nice!

Do you generally put new pieces in boiling water, to clean them and all?
yes, but I pre-warm the bowl to avoid any thermal shock. if the bowl needs a deeper cleaning I use a soft toothbrush

User avatar
Sep 13th, '15, 08:43
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 13th, '15, 08:43

chrl42 wrote:
hobin wrote:three more...
these are really awesome teacups..

are they classified as Bizen? :)
we were OTed by ohiyaki... :lol:

bizen is (hopefully) coming soon...
(and also some ol' shinos)

User avatar
Sep 13th, '15, 08:53
Posts: 141
Joined: Oct 17th, '10, 11:04

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by hobin » Sep 13th, '15, 08:53

three bizen tebineri houhin by nishimura shunko (1886-1953), one of the fathers of bizen renaissance at the beginning of 20th century...
Attachments
nishimura2.jpg
nishimura2.jpg (69.82 KiB) Viewed 668 times
tebineri_bizen.jpg
tebineri_bizen.jpg (74.5 KiB) Viewed 671 times
nishimura1.jpg
nishimura1.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 671 times

User avatar
Sep 13th, '15, 09:20
Posts: 1899
Joined: Mar 22nd, '08, 22:26
Location: Shanghai

Re: Bizen, shino & other teaware appreciation anyone?

by chrl42 » Sep 13th, '15, 09:20

I am ignorant :mrgreen:

Love those Bizens..that masculine texture and mesmerizing color :)

+ Post Reply