Nov 1st, '17, 12:41

I don't think this is a patina

by Shine Magical » Nov 1st, '17, 12:41

https://imgur.com/a/UmUSJ

There was a green patina forming on the bottom of my pot, which is still visible in the pictures.
However, what is concerning me is the purplish undertone that is starting to form both in the very center of the pot and streaks on the inner right of the pot as well.

The inside of the pot now smells a bit like iron, and I think it is because the purple is showing through, which I think is the actual "inside" of the pot which should not be exposed. I've left sencha inside the pot for a few hours/overnight a few times which I feel may have worn down the "outer layer" of the pot.

This pot was bought for $200 in the Ippodo store at the very beginning of my tea journey.

What do you think?
My very noob assessment is that I should replace the pot with something of higher quality instead of continuing to use it.

Nov 1st, '17, 20:28

Re: I don't think this is a patina

by Teatog » Nov 1st, '17, 20:28

Shine Magical wrote: https://imgur.com/a/UmUSJ

There was a green patina forming on the bottom of my pot, which is still visible in the pictures.
However, what is concerning me is the purplish undertone that is starting to form both in the very center of the pot and streaks on the inner right of the pot as well.

The inside of the pot now smells a bit like iron, and I think it is because the purple is showing through, which I think is the actual "inside" of the pot which should not be exposed. I've left sencha inside the pot for a few hours/overnight a few times which I feel may have worn down the "outer layer" of the pot.

This pot was bought for $200 in the Ippodo store at the very beginning of my tea journey.

What do you think?
My very noob assessment is that I should replace the pot with something of higher quality instead of continuing to use it.
From the look of it, this is an unglazed pot. You can try to soak and rinse it with hot water a couple of times to get rid of the smell, and possibly the stain as well.

+ Post Reply