Nov 26th, '17, 12:05

Modern vs antique Aka Raku

by absence » Nov 26th, '17, 12:05

Most modern Aka Raku bowls have a smooth surface with translucent white glaze that gives them a kind of desaturated terracotta colour:
However, the original bowls by Chojiro are more rusty in both colour and texture, with none of the almost plastic-like white coating of modern bowls:
I haven't found modern Aku Raku in that original style, it's almost as if the modern style has become a standard. Is the original style a lost technique, or just out of fashion? In contrast, modern Kuro Raku can be found in both relatively smooth and more rustic styles:

Dec 2nd, '17, 00:45

Re: Modern vs antique Aka Raku

by LouPepe » Dec 2nd, '17, 00:45

I don’t think there is a standard now , or even much of a standard then. There are many variations of contemporary Aka Raku if you search thoroughly. Contemporary in the sense of having been made in the last century or so. The main guidelines that determine whether a bowl is labeled as raku are the way the bowls were formed and fired. Results can vary from kiln to kiln, potter to potter.

It’s like comparing Momoyama shino to contemporary ”momoyama inspired” shino or the hundreds of modern shino renditions. Pottery evolves. Styles vary amongst potters, clay makeups vary. Even if you are focusing on one family solely, centuries of lineage will display varied results.

You have to keep in mind that during the muromachi/momoyama periods alone pottery evolved in leaps and bounds. And pottery styles were more centralized to specific kilns/regions showing more common traits than nowadays.

Dec 2nd, '17, 10:57

by absence » Dec 2nd, '17, 10:57

LouPepe wrote:There are many variations of contemporary Aka Raku if you search thoroughly. Contemporary in the sense of having been made in the last century or so.
By "modern" I was thinking of this century (i.e. after 2000) rather than the previous one, if that's what you meant. Either way, do you have links to a few such variations, to help guide me where to look? I have searched, but probably in the wrong places, as I'm quite new to Japanese pottery.

Dec 2nd, '17, 13:31

by LouPepe » Dec 2nd, '17, 13:31

absence wrote:
LouPepe wrote:There are many variations of contemporary Aka Raku if you search thoroughly. Contemporary in the sense of having been made in the last century or so.
By "modern" I was thinking of this century (i.e. after 2000) rather than the previous one, if that's what you meant. Either way, do you have links to a few such variations, to help guide me where to look? I have searched, but probably in the wrong places, as I'm quite new to Japanese pottery.
I don’t collect Raku or follow it specifically, but if you want good examples they will likely be scattered in tiny amounts through different gallery websites and vendors. Many Japanese galleries with Raku might not even have an English accessible website. The best examples will always be in the high triple digit (at the least) to 4 digit (the norm) figures.

Check Momoyama Gallery, Kyoto Fine Arts and Ceramics, artists Wada Tōzan and Sawada Hiroyuki. Googling potters names thoroughly searching the web will usually yield some online purchasing sources or at least photos of past exhibitions. Sometimes Pinterest can lead you to some wonderful online sources by simply browsing the photos and clicking on the link related to the photo.

Dec 2nd, '17, 13:32

by LouPepe » Dec 2nd, '17, 13:32

absence wrote:
I don’t collect Raku or follow it specifically, but if you want good examples they will likely be scattered in tiny amounts through different gallery websites and vendors. Many Japanese galleries with Raku might not even have an English accessible website. The best examples will always be in the high triple digit (at the least) to 4 digit (the norm) figures.

Check Momoyama Gallery, Kyoto Fine Arts and Ceramics, artists Wada Tōzan and Sawada Hiroyuki. Googling potters names thoroughly searching the web will usually yield some online purchasing sources or at least photos of past exhibitions. Sometimes Pinterest can lead you to some wonderful online sources by simply browsing the photos and clicking on the link related to the photo.

Sep 18th, '18, 02:09

by MartinAndersen » Sep 18th, '18, 02:09

Not sure but I suppose a part of the difference between new and old glazes is related to restrain in using the beautiful but poisonous lead and cadmium based glazes?
And incapsuling the whole surface in a clear transperent top glaze could perhaps stop any metals or chemicals leaking from both clay and glaze into water/tea

Best regards
Martin

+ Post Reply