Jun 30th, '08, 21:58

Chajougu ... funnels for the matcha completicist!

by chamekke » Jun 30th, '08, 21:58

I spotted an eBay auction for chajougu today, and thought that maybe some of the matcha fiends on this forum might like to know how they're used.

Basically, chajougu means "tea funnel" or "tea funnels". The chajougu set, which is mainly used in Chadou (Japanese tea ceremony), usually contains three items:
  • 1 - A larger funnel for filling a natsume (container for thin-tea matcha)
    2 - A smaller, more steeply sloped funnel for filling a chaire (container for thick-tea matcha)
    3 - A cup on which the used funnel can be placed, to avoid spillage of any remaining matcha.

The above photograph is from an online shop in Japan (this particular set is made of cherry wood).

This is how you use them:

You'll notice that the actual shape of the matcha "heap" inside the container depends on the type and shape of the container itself.

At left, you make a slightly rounded heap for a large, medium-size, or small natsume.
At centre, you make a flatter, more rounded heap for a hira-natsume (a type of natsume that is short and wide - hira means "flat")
At right, you make a taller, pointed heap for a nakatsugi (a tall, thin type of natsume).

These funnels can help you make a perfectly-shaped mound of matcha. Because the guest usually examines the tea container after the tea is made (and in the case of natsume-s, most of the matcha still remains), it's important for the host to present a beautiful "landscape" of matcha.

Having said this ... my tea sensei prefers her students to fill the natsume or chaire slowly and painstakingly, one teascoop at a time. You can make just as perfect a matcha mound that way; it just takes more effort and attention!

Jun 30th, '08, 22:03

by RussianSoul » Jun 30th, '08, 22:03

chamekke, you are full of amazing knowledge! I love reading your posts!

Thanks for taking time and sharing.

Jun 30th, '08, 23:27

Re: Chajougu ... funnels for the matcha completicist!

by olivierco » Jun 30th, '08, 23:27

chamekke wrote:
Having said this ... my tea sensei prefers her students to fill the natsume or chaire slowly and painstakingly, one teascoop at a time. You can make just as perfect a matcha mound that way; it just takes more effort and attention!
So I have a justification not to buy another teatoy.

Jul 1st, '08, 01:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » Jul 1st, '08, 01:36

Once again I am reminded that I am not even remotely aware of how much I don't know. A well-shaped pile of matcha? Who'd a thunk it?
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

Jul 1st, '08, 02:40

by chamekke » Jul 1st, '08, 02:40

Also, when you take some matcha out of the "mountain", you take it out of the 11:00 position - so that only one side of the mound gets blasted away, so to speak.

I always say that the mound starts out looking like Mount Fuji, and ends up looking like Mount St. Helens.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Jul 1st, '08, 10:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jul 1st, '08, 10:17

That is just Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior that somehow turned ito a ritual.
Wow.

Jul 1st, '08, 13:05

by chamekke » Jul 1st, '08, 13:05

Victoria wrote:That is just Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior that somehow turned ito a ritual.
Wow.
I didn't even mention that when you scoop out the matcha, you do with a particular crescent-moon gesture, which is like drawing the hiragana letter "tsu":

How could anyone see this stuff as O-C? :wink:

By the way, if you want to see a great parody of Japanese cultural prescriptiveness, check out the hilarious Sushi "instructional video" by the Rahmens.

+ Post Reply