Sep 28th, '08, 05:09

Kyusu heathens?

by caligatia » Sep 28th, '08, 05:09

I read somewhere that kyusu are traditionally for green tea. But is there any technical reason why one couldn't use them with other types of tea? All those photos in the TeaDay thread got me interested, but I don't drink much green tea...

Sep 28th, '08, 06:15

Re: Kyusu heathens?

by olivierco » Sep 28th, '08, 06:15

caligatia wrote:I read somewhere that kyusu are traditionally for green tea. But is there any technical reason why one couldn't use them with other types of tea? All those photos in the TeaDay thread got me interested, but I don't drink much green tea...
No reason at all.
You can brew quite every tea in a kyuusu.

Sep 28th, '08, 08:29
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Sep 28th, '08, 08:29

As olivierco said - no reason at all.

Oolongs are very well suited for kyusu! Especially the Tokoname clay. Consider that if the kyusu is ceramic or glazed, it really is the same as any pot, just a different style.

As a general rule - blacks though, if they are not fuller leaf varieties, will make a mess and get stuck in the filter.

Since kyusu is Japanese some purists do not favor "cross-brewing", that could be why you read they are traditionally for green tea.

Sep 28th, '08, 09:39
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Sep 28th, '08, 09:39

In my experience, while most teas can be brewed well enough in a kyusu, some teas can be brewed better in a small clay pot, such as black, pu-erh, a good many oolongs, and at least some darjeeling.

I'd abandoned all hope for some teas until a kind soul gifted me with a little yixing clay pot I quickly learned to love. Lately I've thought hard about buying at least one more such pot because I think I'll be a sad padre when I eventually break this one and have to wait around on a replacement.

Sep 28th, '08, 10:45

by Photiou » Sep 28th, '08, 10:45

I bought one white Ippodo teapot as a gift to a relative - who drinks black tea only - and after ~year there are quite bad black tea stains under the lid/on the lid.

No problems with the filter though.

+ Post Reply