May 13th, '09, 14:03

todays matcha

by bonjiri » May 13th, '09, 14:03

interesting shomen

otemae chodai itashimasu

today's chawan. not for sale.

recovering from a long firing last night ! went to 11pm. i'll unload tonite and see more fruits of the labors. will see the pieces in about 3 hours.

went this morning, the kiln cooled to 600 degrees fahrenheit. wow.

mostly my colleagues work in this firing.

May 13th, '09, 23:32

by xuancheng » May 13th, '09, 23:32

TIM wrote:Image

This should be in my procession, hopefully by the end of the season? :roll:

A Jian tea bowl (temmoku) from the Song Dynasty. Suitable for traditional pressed green tea cake or Dragon and Phoenix Round.
This is great!

Will you use it for Dokk-cha?
茶也醉人何必酒?

May 14th, '09, 17:24
Vendor Member

by TIM » May 14th, '09, 17:24

xuancheng wrote:
TIM wrote:Image

This should be in my procession, hopefully by the end of the season? :roll:

A Jian tea bowl (temmoku) from the Song Dynasty. Suitable for traditional pressed green tea cake or Dragon and Phoenix Round.
This is great!

Will you use it for Dokk-cha?
Right on :lol:

May 17th, '09, 01:46

My favourite Chawan

by robbie_olive » May 17th, '09, 01:46

Here is my favourite chawan. It is a Hagi Yaki chawan dating back to the 60's - it is by Kaneta Sanzaemon VII. Simple but elegant. It also came with a title
"Nao Shin" or correct mind, named by a Daitokuji priest.

May 17th, '09, 13:21
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: My favourite Chawan

by Mrs. Chip » May 17th, '09, 13:21

robbie_olive wrote:Here is my favourite chawan. It is a Hagi Yaki chawan dating back to the 60's - it is by Kaneta Sanzaemon VII. Simple but elegant. It also came with a title"Nao Shin" or correct mind, named by a Daitokuji priest.
robbie_olive, that is a beaut! Chip and I have one similar in style and color. Any of the orange hues are usually my favorites! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to seeing you around the forum. :)

May 17th, '09, 22:14
Vendor Member

by TIM » May 17th, '09, 22:14

http://www.cctv.com/program/civilizatio ... 5963.shtml

Interesting section on tea bowl. Enjoy :wink:

May 21st, '09, 21:22
Scrolling: fixed

by Intuit » May 21st, '09, 21:22

I found and purchased this simple and earthy version. Not nearly as tactile as others pictured here, but it suits me just fine.

May 21st, '09, 22:15

by Dreamer » May 21st, '09, 22:15

Nice tea bowls on this page! Thanks for sharing, all!!
I love how the chawan form is so functional...
The size of the bowl is so much larger than the expected amount of tea but that allows room for the hot (matcha is meant to be a HOT tea) tea to be in the bottom and your fingers can safely be at the top. It also allows room for the whisking action; the tea does not get whisked right out of the bowl.

The foot of the bowl...yet another way that our importantly sensitive fingers are protected. I can't imagine a matcha bowl without a substantial foot.

There is so much comfort in the simple functional form of a matcha bowl...and while all "good" matcha bowls would share these functional characteristics, it is soooo interesting to see the artistic expression added by the makers!

Is it because matcha engenders deep thinking that I so enjoy the chawan...or is because the chawan engenders deep thinking that I so enjoy the matcha?

Mmmmmatcha,
Dreamer

May 21st, '09, 23:07

by Tead Off » May 21st, '09, 23:07

Intuit,

That is a very elegant bowl. Great color and markings. Inspires lust in me!

May 22nd, '09, 04:40

by Seeker » May 22nd, '09, 04:40

Just received a pagasari I acquired off of Etsy - can't figure out how to post the pic though. :oops: My image is on my computer, so don't understand the cryptic (to me) instruction to provide-- http://image_url --???
Bi lew chun - did your pagasari have a "clay" odor, and if so how did you get rid of it so as to enjoy yummy matcha? I washed mine by hand, then warmed with boiling water (which exaggerated the clay odor), dried it, and made tea. Big clay odor. So I ran it through my Tersano Sanitizing system (awesome appliance!). But a little of the odor still remains. I'll make tea again tomorrow morning and see how it is.
As soon as I figure out how to post my pic, I will!
Lovely Chawans everyone!!!
Last edited by Seeker on May 22nd, '09, 14:59, edited 6 times in total.

May 22nd, '09, 05:45

by olivierco » May 22nd, '09, 05:45

Here is the way to post it. You just have to write it without the "*"

[img*]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3381/355 ... 1d6ac5.jpg[/img]

May 22nd, '09, 09:25

by Victoria » May 22nd, '09, 09:25

Very nice Seeker. I just recently bought one too! Been watching him for awhile.
Congrats!
:)

May 22nd, '09, 14:58

by Seeker » May 22nd, '09, 14:58

Thank you olivierco! - through your reply, I was able to figure it out, although I needed to figure more out - my solution came when I right clicked on my flickr image for its location, copied that, then pasted it using the Img key in this chat's editor.

May 22nd, '09, 15:43

by Geekgirl » May 22nd, '09, 15:43

Seeker wrote:did your pagasari have a "clay" odor, and if so how did you get rid of it so as to enjoy yummy matcha? I washed mine by hand, then warmed with boiling water (which exaggerated the clay odor), dried it, and made tea. Big clay odor. So I ran it through my Tersano Sanitizing system (awesome appliance!). But a little of the odor still remains.
Don't know what the sanitizing system is, but I've had a couple of teaware items that had a strong clay odor. I completely immersed the bowl and soaked overnight. One cup took two soakings but the odor is gone.

May 22nd, '09, 20:50

by Seeker » May 22nd, '09, 20:50

Thank you Geekgirl! I've run my pagasari chawan through the Tersano again (it's a sanitizing system for food, fruits, veggies, and kitchen wares, I also sometimes do tea wares, never of course my yixing clay pots - works by ozonating water and then soaking the stuff you put in for 2min - which kills microorganisms and also removes pesticides and contaminants, I think by virtue of the high valence of the ozone molecules - it is how some municipalities purify public drinking water, the science is solid and I love mine! Here's a link to a youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4cTJscm9Bg);anyway, the clay odor persists, so now I've filled the chawan with tap water to soak overnight - did you fully submerge yours?
Also - several pages back, I read about your chawan accident and physically flinched - I am so, so sorry. The pics you shared were of truly beautiful chawan; who is the artist?
Does anyone else have any tips for cleansing out the "clay" odor of some new chawan? I wonder how many of the artisan chawan (Pagasari, Jay Strommer, etc) share this issue?
(I've given some consideration to emailing Pagasari, but not sure if he'd know, I might try anyway if submerging doesn't work).
Live long and prosper!

+ Post Reply