Oct 25th, '17, 18:50

Tea Mat/Timer Idea

by Jolaroth » Oct 25th, '17, 18:50

Hello TeaChat!

I'm new to TeaChat and forum posting in general, so bear with me.

Over the past year I have become more and more involved in the world of tea after using it to stop drinking coffee. I am excited to share and learn everything I can about it.

I have an idea for a tea related product that I wanted to get some opinions on. The product is a tea mat, made of some form of cloth material, and possibly a thin layer of absorbent material inside. Built into the corner of this mat, or perhaps protruding off the edge of the mat, would be a steep timer. I was thinking the timer could have programmable steep times for different teas/brew strength preferences, and feature a relaxing sound to denote the steep is complete, perhaps a gentle gong sound, rather then the loud piercing beeps most timers feature. Currently, I use the timer on my smartphone, but find it a pain to pull my phone out every time I brew some tea, when I could just press a single button, with a pre-programmed time and not have to worry about over-steeping or forgetting to set a timer in the first place (it happens to me more then you would think).

Anyway, I know from a little perusing, and common sense, that many tea drinkers don't use timers, however many do as well. I am curious as to what you, the members of the tea community think of this idea. I am open to opinions on this idea from anyone, regardless of whether or not you use a timer, but I do ask that if providing feedback you indicate whether or not you currently use a timer to steep your teas (and feel free to go into detail I'm curious what other means people use to time there tea steeping, as I haven't been able to find any timing products specifically marketed towards tea steeping). Thank you for any and all inputs on this post!

Jul 10th, '19, 15:04

Tea Mat/Timer Idea

by BarryRah » Jul 10th, '19, 15:04

Another idea - look up a architectural reclaim yard. Mine stock loads of stone and rocks for road use.

Jan 24th, '20, 18:53

Re: Tea Mat/Timer Idea

by Dusty13 » Jan 24th, '20, 18:53

I started learning Taiwan-style kung-fu tea ceremony recently. The style calls for 5-8 steepings of 3s-50s each.In rare occasions it goes to 130s for the tea I drink. Tools for counting time is not allowed, I had to learn to count in my mind... at first I would forget how far I counted if I did anything else but counting, like eating a blueberry....I’m getting better now but my teacher can do pretty much anything (ie chatting) while keep a consistent count. I don’t imaging this method would be precise to the second but it’s good enough ( with practice) to brew tea consistently! I look forward to the day that I could chat with tea guests while keeping the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 25th, '20, 18:17

Re: Tea Mat/Timer Idea

by isabellamor » Feb 25th, '20, 18:17

I never thought that such thing exist, I will try it at home to see if it will create a difference.

+ Post Reply