May 9th, '18, 17:01

Has anyone bought tin cans from specialtybottle?

by rabbitjump » May 9th, '18, 17:01

I have some green tea I'd like to store. Has anyone bought from specialtybottle.com? I was looking at their Tin cans for storing tea, and it says their products are made from "Tinplated Steel".

https://www.specialtybottle.com/metal-t ... ainers/tea

I have never heard of them, but they came up from a google search. Is this a safe material? Has anyone bought from them and confirmed that it's not some cheap stuff that can cause metal toxicity or if it's not welded using lead solder?

Sep 14th, '18, 11:46

Re: Has anyone bought tin cans from specialtybottle?

by Bok » Sep 14th, '18, 11:46

Green tea is best kept in their original pouch, sealed tightly and ideally in a fridge. Then with additional odor protecting cover.

In a tin your greens will go flat very quickly. Matter of weeks.

Jan 31st, '19, 19:41

Has anyone bought tin cans from specialtybottle

by TimothyTup » Jan 31st, '19, 19:41

I have not bought from them, but that method of payment is not that unusual here in Europe. For companies that do not use Visa, it is the cheapest method for them to receive your payment.

Mar 17th, '19, 10:51

Re: Has anyone bought tin cans from specialtybottle

by AliceG » Mar 17th, '19, 10:51

I have not bought from them, but the two squareish tins on the left look similar to one’s I bought at a local tea store and on Amazon for much more.

One option is to buy cheapish tea from a reputable company that comes in a tin (Rishi, Harney, Republic of Tea) and then throw out or drink the tea and then reuse the tin. I bought tins by themselves for $16 for 4 empty 4 oz tins, which makes the tins $4 each. The seller was Nakapunar, although I can’t attest that it doesn’t have heavy metals or anything like that. Then I discoverered Harney sells the exact same tin with 4 oz of tea for as low as $7 on Amazon. Except it’s painted black instead of silver.

For me, the point of having smaller tea tins is to keep a month’s worth of tea out where I will see and use it, and to keep a large bag safely sealed away from air.

Then again, when I’m out of a tea phase, (and didnt have small tins out to remind me) I’ve kept small amounts in spice jars at the back of a cabinet for a couple years, and it seemed ok to me. The tea that was left in a plastic bag for a year did not seem good.

I know Cost Plus World Market sells the double lidded tea tins for 2 for $8. Those hold about 8 oz of tea.

Republic of tea makes stacking tea bag samplers with 3 cans in the height of their normal tins. I bought one of those just so I would have stacking 1 oz tins. And two out of the three are double lidded.

+ Post Reply