Dec 4th, '11, 14:18

Removing odor from tin cans

by Poohblah » Dec 4th, '11, 14:18

Hi guys,
I have a few double-lidded tin canisters which were once used to store outspoken (so to speak) fragrant teas such as nai xiang oolong, earl gray, masala chai, and other things. I want to reacquisition them to store some teas that would not bear being bathed in those fragrances very well. I tried rinsing them out with water, but even when they dry, the odor remains. Are there any good methods specifically for removing odors from metal canisters?

Dec 4th, '11, 15:06
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Removing odor from tin cans

by Chip » Dec 4th, '11, 15:06

Try a tea you are not going to drink, put dry leaves in there ...

Aromas from oils can be very persistant to say the least.

Also maybe leaving open in a well ventilated area for a while ... to a long time.

Maybe try baking soda ...

Dec 4th, '11, 15:15

by Drae » Dec 4th, '11, 15:15

The one that housed earl grey may not be salvageable - the citrus is pretty corrosive and could have pitted any coating on the metal or sometimes the metal itself. In my experience getting odors out of things, you really can't beat baking soda. If the tins are washable (IE, not covered in washi or something you don't want to ruin) - then wash them with dish soap, shake out most of the water, then put in some baking soda and scrub. Dry it with a towel and see if it still smells. If it does, fill the dried tin up with baking soda and let it sit overnight.

Dec 4th, '11, 15:41

by Poohblah » Dec 4th, '11, 15:41

Shoot, I don't have any baking soda, only a ton of baking powder :|

Dish soap didn't do a darn thing except get my hands clean. I could certainly try putting in a tea that I won't drink, I have one of those available :D

Dec 5th, '11, 10:17

by Buzz Fledderjohn » Dec 5th, '11, 10:17

Go to the local pet store and pick up some charcoal that is used for fish aquariums. A box of loose charcoal is probably better than bags already filled with charcoal. Wrap enough charcoal in a tissue, paper towel, whatever and place it in the tin. Put the cap on the tin and forget about it for a while.

I had a tin that I put sakura sencha in and could not get the cherry smell out. I tried everything but this finally did the trick.

Dec 5th, '11, 14:31

by beecrofter » Dec 5th, '11, 14:31

Buzz has a good idea with activated charcoal but put the charcoal in the tins and put the tins in the oven at about 200F and you should get most of the smells to volatize and be absorbed.

+ Post Reply