Sep 6th 05 5:34 pm

by klemptor » Sep 6th 05 5:34 pm

I see my mistake - I said "airtight seal." They don't actually have a seal, but they do close tightly enough that they serve as airtight.

When you pull the lid off it's like a suctiony-thing. (Yes, that's the technical explanation.)

So I guess they're a little more airtight than the sampler tins - the lids fit very snugly.

Sep 7th 05 1:45 pm

by PeteVu » Sep 7th 05 1:45 pm

i must have a thousand coupons from the container store. they practically coated the floor with them on our merchant advertising day.

Sep 7th 05 2:04 pm

by Tadiera » Sep 7th 05 2:04 pm

I have this bag from Teaism for my white tea. It is not airtight (being a bag, that is difficult), but it is light-tight and has a... hrm, I am not sure what it is, but on the front a section that allows for decent air circulation into it.

After a year, I have not noticed any issues with the tea, but that may be due to it being white vs. say green.

Also:
Know those sippy cups for kids? The small cups with the lids that snap on? You can get ones without the spout and I have found those to be airtight. When I was still living at home, I snagged at least one for tea use. ;)

Sep 8th 05 12:38 am

by DavidH » Sep 8th 05 12:38 am

The Quattro Stagioni Spice Jar from the Container Store is essentially a 5oz canning jar. I bought some nice airtight tins at Cost Plus Imports a few years agon, their prducts vary, so they may not have them now.

Sep 9th 05 2:39 am

by Ric » Sep 9th 05 2:39 am

Tadiera wrote:I have this bag from Teaism for my white tea. It is not airtight (being a bag, that is difficult), but it is light-tight and has a... hrm, I am not sure what it is, but on the front a section that allows for decent air circulation into it.

After a year, I have not noticed any issues with the tea, but that may be due to it being white vs. say green.

Also:
Know those sippy cups for kids? The small cups with the lids that snap on? You can get ones without the spout and I have found those to be airtight. When I was still living at home, I snagged at least one for tea use. ;)
Good idea,

My son is now five years old and now I know what I can use those old snap on lid cups we have left over.

And I just thought of another good idea, Glad and Ziplock both make disposable "tufferware" containers that are airtight. Use those and keep in a dark cool place.

I do have quite an assortment of tea tins from Adagio and Upton teas - I just use those when they are empty and tape on the label from the tea I put in thos tins.

Sep 9th 05 10:47 pm

by Mina - not logged in » Sep 9th 05 10:47 pm

klemptor wrote:This is on-topic ;)

Container Store has some great ones - search "seamless tins."

I've been using these and am very happy with the results!

Edit: These do have an airtight seal - like the Adagio sampler tins.
I have tins like these. They are inexpensive but not terribly useful for longterm use. They rust easily. Container Store posts a warning about that, but the place where I bought the tins did not. So I used some to freeze coconut. Apparently the moisture of the freezer caused rusting around the rim. Yuck. I didn't think food-grade items could rust. So now I'll just use them to transport tea on a daily basis, and I'm still looking for good decorative tins for my cabinets. Or rather, canisters, with a rubber seal. I have jars from IKEA that I love, but alas, they are glass. Is a transparent container still a problem if I store tea in a dark cabinet?

Sep 9th 05 11:48 pm

by klemptor » Sep 9th 05 11:48 pm

No - glass is fine for a dark, closed cabinet.