Dec 23rd, '16, 22:06

Sandstone tea tray

by kakofonik » Dec 23rd, '16, 22:06

Recently I've found beautiful piece of ablong sandstone nearby in my local woods. I did like an elongated shape and size of it so I managed to scapple and treat it to be more suitable as tea tray for my teaware. I had already seen same concept before so I knew I'm not only one who has same idea to use sandstone - It's nice to prepare tea on natural mossy surface and feel connection with area where I found it. I enjoy a porosity of that mineral which absorbs smells of tea and slowly builds up patina. But I'm afraid for potential spalling and cracking a whole piece or another serious demage because of constant action of hot wster (I don't pour excess water directly on it, but the humidity from ceramics is frequent) and acidity of tea. I'm just asking uf there is somebody who has experience with untreated sandstone and if it is still usable.

I bought pure natural tung oil so I thought I can impregnate and protect it but I prefer things untouchable as much as possible to see spontaneous change of surface after time. :roll:

Sep 22nd, '17, 14:11

Re: Sandstone tea tray

by Steve@Adagio » Sep 22nd, '17, 14:11

kakofonik wrote: Recently I've found beautiful piece of ablong sandstone nearby in my local woods. I did like an elongated shape and size of it so I managed to scapple and treat it to be more suitable as tea tray for my teaware. I had already seen same concept before so I knew I'm not only one who has same idea to use sandstone - It's nice to prepare tea on natural mossy surface and feel connection with area where I found it. I enjoy a porosity of that mineral which absorbs smells of tea and slowly builds up patina. But I'm afraid for potential spalling and cracking a whole piece or another serious demage because of constant action of hot wster (I don't pour excess water directly on it, but the humidity from ceramics is frequent) and acidity of tea. I'm just asking uf there is somebody who has experience with untreated sandstone and if it is still usable.

I bought pure natural tung oil so I thought I can impregnate and protect it but I prefer things untouchable as much as possible to see spontaneous change of surface after time. :roll:

That sounds like an ideal piece of stone.

Please see the informative piece below for more information:

http://www.drytreat.com/surfaces/sandstone.html

Sep 22nd, '17, 15:50

Re: Sandstone tea tray

by pedant » Sep 22nd, '17, 15:50

pics??

+ Post Reply