Aug 15th, '17, 18:47

Tea desk / Gongfu cha table

by Shine Magical » Aug 15th, '17, 18:47

Hello,

Do you know online sources where I can purchase a table for tea brewing? The kind that has holes for drainage. Stone would actually be preferred to wood, but I'm looking for a minimalist design.

Or does anyone have experience with purchasing one of these or putting together your own set?

Here are some examples:
http://gw2.alicdn.com/bao/uploaded/i2/1 ... 10x210.jpg
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2000 ... tray-b.jpg
http://imgur.com/a/uFl0a

Aug 15th, '17, 21:03

Re: Tea desk / Gongfu cha table

by Bok » Aug 15th, '17, 21:03

Depending on where you live, why not go to a local stonemason, or interior architects might have ressources and let them drill a few holes in a stone of your liking? Legs can be easily constructed as well. Or go for a hike and see what lies around! Some of my friends found theirs like that.

For outdoors use or indoors? If outdoors you might not even need the holes, just let it dry off :lol:

Aug 16th, '17, 13:27

by Shine Magical » Aug 16th, '17, 13:27

Bok wrote: Depending on where you live, why not go to a local stonemason, or interior architects might have ressources and let them drill a few holes in a stone of your liking? Legs can be easily constructed as well. Or go for a hike and see what lies around! Some of my friends found theirs like that.

For outdoors use or indoors? If outdoors you might not even need the holes, just let it dry off :lol:
Do stone masons make furniture, or should I be searching under a different name?
All of my yelp searches for stone mason showed construction and outdoor work.

Aug 16th, '17, 14:44

by victoria3 » Aug 16th, '17, 14:44

Shine Magical wrote:
Bok wrote: Depending on where you live, why not go to a local stonemason, or interior architects might have ressources and let them drill a few holes in a stone of your liking? Legs can be easily constructed as well. Or go for a hike and see what lies around! Some of my friends found theirs like that.

Do stone masons make furniture, or should I be searching under a different name?
All of my yelp searches for stone mason showed construction and outdoor work.
Since you are in NY, there a lots of stone quarries in NY & Connecticut, might be fun to visit and pick up a nice slab. Otherwise there are stone building supply stores where you can browse around. They should be be able to drill some holes for you also, of course then you have to build a catchment basin... or you could get one of Miroslava Randova's beautiful ceramic teaboats. A teachater was trying to sell one a while back...
Last edited by victoria3 on Aug 16th, '17, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Aug 16th, '17, 17:13

by JRS22 » Aug 16th, '17, 17:13

Fabricators take the stone slabs from the stone yards (granite, marble etc) and prepare kitchen and bathroom counters, etc. they often have leftover pieces that might be the right size for your table, and they can certainly drill drainage holes.

Aug 16th, '17, 20:41

by Bok » Aug 16th, '17, 20:41

You can also just adopt your brewing style to a dry one, then you won’t need drainage :mrgreen:
That movement is quite popular in Taiwan now. No water splashing mess, only a clean table with a tiny flat bowl or plate to put the teapot on.

Brewing this way need more mastery of your teaware though.

At most times a flat bowl is enough anyways to catch the overspill, if it is full you can use a waste water bowl.

I personally dislike those plastic tubes and buckets that tea tables usually have… Ugly and get moldy and disgusting very fast (at least in Asia).

On the other hand there is a beauty to drying water on stone… :D

Aug 17th, '17, 21:55

by victoria3 » Aug 17th, '17, 21:55

I also just use small flat bottom bowls to catch spills. Local potters are plentiful and the bowls offer nice mobility.

+ Post Reply