May 10th, '12, 23:05

In the market for a new kyusu.

by bryan_drinks_tea » May 10th, '12, 23:05

Hey folks -

I'm starting to think that it's time to move up from my Banko Kyusu and get something a little nicer.
Of course, I'm well aware of Artistic Nippon and the tokoname.or.jp site, both of which seem okay.

when buying a teapot such as a new kyusu, should i be just as concerned about firing, clay type, etc? I'm going to assume (and I know that I shouldn't do that) that the 40-60 dollar small (4 ounce) teapots may not be worth it? the small pot is because i brew sencha in two ounce cups - two people only....
anyways, please, noble and wise people, give me your advice.

May 11th, '12, 01:41
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: In the market for a new kyusu.

by Chip » May 11th, '12, 01:41

I have never met a kyusu that ... messed up sencha [EDIT: with the exception of if the screen clogs up which can be catastrophic compared to the little differences clay can create]. I personally do not get overly hung up on having to have certain clays, firings when it comes to Kyusu.

What I do focus on is size, because size does matter, donCha know. :mrgreen: I also am more interested in shape, the screen, and location of the screen in relation to low or high in the pot (if it is a clay screen). Higher is better.

And how does the kyusu look. If I am going to handle a kyusu everyday, I want it to look ... right for me.

I just don't think there is an absolute right or wrong. However, if you want obsession, go with the Hojo. Or save some money and go with ArtisticNippon.

May 11th, '12, 01:42

by Chip » May 11th, '12, 01:42

Oh, the more kyusu I have, the merrier I am ... personally. :lol:

I look at a pot and figure it will be good for asa ... or for fuka, etc.

May 11th, '12, 02:00

by Chip » May 11th, '12, 02:00

... hmmm, but I do like to try many clays and firings ... more out of curiosity and variety than obsession for a specific clay or specific firing.

... really, I am just not obsessed ... unless you think the 4 kyusu that I have on order from AN is ... obsession. :shock: :wink: :roll: :mrgreen: 8)

OK, I am done ... until I think of something else I want to add.

May 11th, '12, 02:29
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » May 11th, '12, 02:29

Chip wrote:However, if you want obsession, go with the Hojo. Or save some money and go with ArtisticNippon.
:oops: I'm looking for a new kyusu too. From the amazing looking pictures on Hojo's site, I always assumed they must be all high-end with high-end prices, and that deterred me from asking Hojo san for a price list. Guess I should. :roll:

Chip wrote:... really, I am just not obsessed ... unless you think the 4 kyusu that I have on order from AN ...
OK, I am done ... until I think of something else I want to add.
:lol:
Last edited by SilentChaos on May 11th, '12, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, '12, 07:54

by Chip » May 11th, '12, 07:54

SilentChaos wrote:
Chip wrote:However, if you want obsession, go with the Hojo. Or save some money and go with ArtisticNippon.
:oops: I'm looking for a new kyusu too. From the amazing looking pictures on Hojo's site, I always assumed they must be all high-end with high-end prices, and that deterred me from asking Hojo san for a price list. Guess I should. :roll:
What? Don't you have the magical available now from the Hojo? 8) Of course you can email him for it.
Hey, how did the link get there??? Must of been the Hojo-god's magic at work! :shock: 8) :mrgreen:

May 11th, '12, 11:08

by Drax » May 11th, '12, 11:08

I need to remember to bookmark that link when I get home... I can never find it when I need it.... :lol:

Thanks, Chip!

May 11th, '12, 11:16

by Chip » May 11th, '12, 11:16

Drax wrote:I need to remember to bookmark that link when I get home... I can never find it when I need it.... :lol:

Thanks, Chip!
It seems to be some kind of secret, not sure why it is unobtainium on the site ... which of course is ironic since it is "available now."

Of course you still have to email for a shipping quote.

May 11th, '12, 11:38

by AdamMY » May 11th, '12, 11:38

I always had the impression when ordering from Hojo you are also paying for a story about the item, whether or not it is completely factual or not.

Sadly when I looked at Artistic Nippon the other day, it appears the smaller Yohen Gyokko kyusu's were all sold out, in both types too. I would have recommended one of those to you if you could get one of the larger ones.

I personally feel Sencha is quite different than a lot of Chinese teas, in the sense that its easier to drink more per steep and not feel as bad. I would honestly aim for something that's 3-7 ounces per person ( of course depending on the sizes of the cups you have available). I am saying this because I have a kyusu that is a little over 4 ounces in advertised size from Artistic nippon, and I can not see myself easily sharing that between two people. But your mileage may vary, I tend to be a bit more of a sencha guzzler, while most other teas I sip at a bit slower.

May 12th, '12, 04:49

by Alex » May 12th, '12, 04:49

Just to add what Adam said about volume.

If you're grabbing a Kyusu for all round usage I'd get a 250ml-300ml.

Personally I drink between 100ml-120ml per cup for 2-3 infusions. Half filling a kyusu is fine. So you got the option for 1-2 120ml cups plus if there's more people you can easily use smaller cups and serve 3-4.

May 12th, '12, 20:41

by bryan_drinks_tea » May 12th, '12, 20:41

Alex wrote:Just to add what Adam said about volume.

If you're grabbing a Kyusu for all round usage I'd get a 250ml-300ml.

Personally I drink between 100ml-120ml per cup for 2-3 infusions. Half filling a kyusu is fine. So you got the option for 1-2 120ml cups plus if there's more people you can easily use smaller cups and serve 3-4.

That's a good point, Alex.

Thanks All for the help, I'm refining my search a little bit to see what comes up. thanks again.

Bryan

May 13th, '12, 03:56

by Alex » May 13th, '12, 03:56

As for a vendor I'd recommend artisticnippon.com 8)

Good luck in your search.

May 23rd, '12, 12:18

by limbo » May 23rd, '12, 12:18

Didn't want to start a new topic, so I'll tack on my question here.

I'm also looking for a kyusu with a sasame filter.

I'm thinking of ordering from tokoname directly since their catalog has so many more varieties than any other shops I've visited online.

http://www.tokoname.or.jp/teapot/yubi2012-e/

Has anyone done this, or would it be more advisable to submit photos of what I like to artistic nippon.

Thanks!

May 23rd, '12, 13:03

by Chip » May 23rd, '12, 13:03

Hi limbo, welcome to the forum!

I like dealing with ArtisticNippon. He may be able to get what you are interested in.

But I am always curious regarding the tokoname site.

This page has a lot of nice artisan pieces with sasame screens, and you can often click on one and find a bunch more from the same artisan. Full of surprises!!!
http://www.tokoname.or.jp/teapot/gallery.htm

May 23rd, '12, 13:59

by limbo » May 23rd, '12, 13:59

Thanks Chip!

I'll peruse through the selection.

Also, what size would you recommend for using the same kyusu for brewing both sencha and gyokuro. I was thinking of 250-350mL and brewing at less than full capacities, or would using a 180-250mL capacity kyusu be better?

Can't for the OTTI to start tonight. Shincha fever! :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply