Show off your Pu!!!!!!!

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


User avatar
Mar 10th, '09, 23:07
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Mar 10th, '09, 23:07

shogun89 wrote:They do look good, but I cant see paying that price for them. . .
$5.00 doesn't sound like much, but when they are only 50 grams, that makes them pretty expensive puerh.

User avatar
Mar 10th, '09, 23:46
Posts: 316
Joined: Sep 12th, '08, 01:14
Location: Philippines

by odarwin » Mar 10th, '09, 23:46

hi drax,

they are from china, but my friend purchased them from KL malaysia for me.

-darwin

Mar 11th, '09, 11:38

by Deleted User #30641 » Mar 11th, '09, 11:38

Salsero wrote:
shogun89 wrote:They do look good, but I cant see paying that price for them. . .
$5.00 doesn't sound like much, but when they are only 50 grams, that makes them pretty expensive puerh.

Yeah when I bought them I didn't fully realize that they were so small, but I look at is as I like it just as much as I like some of my oolongs, and 5 dollars for 50 grams is a really good deal on some of those oolongs.

At least thats how I view it.

User avatar
Mar 11th, '09, 18:04
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Mar 11th, '09, 18:04

Well its still only about $0.60 per session. So it is cheap when you think of it that way but expensive when you can get a Menghai session for like $0.03 per session.

User avatar
Mar 11th, '09, 19:39
Posts: 2794
Joined: Oct 16th, '08, 21:01
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact: Drax

by Drax » Mar 11th, '09, 19:39

shogun89 wrote:Well its still only about $0.60 per session. So it is cheap when you think of it that way but expensive when you can get a Menghai session for like $0.03 per session.
"Hit".... I think the term is you can get a Menghai hit....

:D

Mar 11th, '09, 20:03

by Deleted User #30641 » Mar 11th, '09, 20:03

shogun89 wrote:Well its still only about $0.60 per session. So it is cheap when you think of it that way but expensive when you can get a Menghai session for like $0.03 per session.
in terms of the Menghai that is 3 cents a session I assume you are talking about : 2006 Menghai Yue Chen Yue Xiang Pu-erh Tea Brick

Which is cooked, not even to mention that its not Menghai Tea Factory, but rather just produced in the menghai area.

Personally I've never trusted comparing sheng prices to shu prices, due to different processing methods, just like you shouldn't compare black tea prices to white tea prices. I honestly do view sheng and shu as two separate types of teas. That and the fact that I've heard many people say there is a very steep fall off in flavor of shu's after a certain number of brews which does not occur in sheng.

So to search for a tea to compare it against, to select a say menghai area, and a brick that is also a sheng. lets select 2006 Menghai Dayeh Pu-erh Tea Brick

now assuming you are using 5 grams a time the Douji comes out to 50 cents a session, whereas the 2006 Menghai Dayeh comes out to 14 cents a session. Though that difference can easily be explained by the extra production costs of making many smaller bricks, and packaging them. And the fact that Douji seems to have a better rep than both of those other tea factories. This can be seen in searching for each of the different bricks, there are many more favorable reviews for the douji products then there are for the Menghai Dayeh.

As they say the proof is in the pudding.

User avatar
Mar 11th, '09, 21:53
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Mar 11th, '09, 21:53

No I was not referring to that brick. I am referring to a regular Dayi product such as the 8582. I actually made the mistake of putting down cup price, it is really $.15 per session. My bad. Still cheap though.

User avatar
Mar 12th, '09, 08:22
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Mar 12th, '09, 08:22

shogun89 wrote:No I was not referring to that brick. I am referring to a regular Dayi product such as the 8582. I actually made the mistake of putting down cup price, it is really $.15 per session. My bad. Still cheap though.
What? You only get five cups per session out of the 8582?

I get at least ten. :lol:

User avatar
Mar 12th, '09, 17:01
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 10:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Mar 12th, '09, 17:01

tony shlongini wrote:
shogun89 wrote:No I was not referring to that brick. I am referring to a regular Dayi product such as the 8582. I actually made the mistake of putting down cup price, it is really $.15 per session. My bad. Still cheap though.
What? You only get five cups per session out of the 8582?

I get at least ten. :lol:
5 is the min I always do so thats how I calc it, That way I pay at most $.15 per session.

User avatar
Mar 13th, '09, 08:11
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 17:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Mar 13th, '09, 08:11

shogun89 wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:
shogun89 wrote:No I was not referring to that brick. I am referring to a regular Dayi product such as the 8582. I actually made the mistake of putting down cup price, it is really $.15 per session. My bad. Still cheap though.
What? You only get five cups per session out of the 8582?

I get at least ten. :lol:
5 is the min I always do so thats how I calc it, That way I pay at most $.15 per session.
Any way you look at it, it's cheap as can be.

I find that the number of sessions I yield falls within these extreme bounds-
100g tuo: 8-12
250g brick: 20-30
357g bing: 30-40

Some products contain a higher percentage of unusable material.

User avatar
Mar 13th, '09, 13:43
Vendor Member
Posts: 1990
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

by TIM » Mar 13th, '09, 13:43

Image

Good solid single estate, wild yiwu leaves 2004-05. Hit of Lemon and lots of Yiwu musk.

User avatar
Mar 13th, '09, 15:11
Posts: 2061
Joined: Mar 15th, '06, 17:43
Contact: MarshalN

by MarshalN » Mar 13th, '09, 15:11

Oh... those cakes are EXPENSIVE

User avatar
Mar 13th, '09, 16:01
Vendor Member
Posts: 1990
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 15:07
Location: NYC
Contact: TIM

by TIM » Mar 13th, '09, 16:01

MarshalN wrote:Oh... those cakes are EXPENSIVE
Have you try them before? Planning on ordering some. I have samples of those, and its quite alright. Not That EXPENSIVE :D

User avatar
Mar 13th, '09, 17:00
Posts: 2794
Joined: Oct 16th, '08, 21:01
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact: Drax

by Drax » Mar 13th, '09, 17:00

TIM wrote:
MarshalN wrote:Oh... those cakes are EXPENSIVE
Have you try them before? Planning on ordering some. I have samples of those, and its quite alright. Not That EXPENSIVE :D
Yeah, how do they taste? Expensive isn't bad if it's worth the expense, right?

Well, and if you can afford the expense ;)

User avatar
Mar 13th, '09, 17:07
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 20th, '06, 23:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Mar 13th, '09, 17:07

OK, is anyone going to actually say what they are?

+ Post Reply