Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

User avatar
Aug 22nd 09 7:35 pm
Posts: 434
Joined: Apr 1st 08 1:46 am

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by thanks » Aug 22nd 09 7:35 pm

I love her Taiwan Wuyi from 08 so I ordered a pound even though it's the same price as it's been for a while. Just figured I'd snag it before it's gone. With it came a sample of her Shui Xian and I have fallen in love! Delicious!

Aug 24th 09 12:15 pm
Posts: 67
Joined: Jun 7th 09 7:45 am

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by JPX » Aug 24th 09 12:15 pm

ordered 4 taiwanese teas from there. 1ounce each. Gonna make some tasting then order more :D

User avatar
Aug 24th 09 6:11 pm
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd 06 11:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by tenuki » Aug 24th 09 6:11 pm

JPX wrote:ordered 4 taiwanese teas from there. 1ounce each. Gonna make some tasting then order more :D
Which ones?

Aug 24th 09 10:59 pm
Posts: 67
Joined: Jun 7th 09 7:45 am

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by JPX » Aug 24th 09 10:59 pm

1 ea. 2009 Spring Nantou Four Seasons $3.83
1 ea. 2009 Spring Jin Xuan $3.83
1 ea. Taiwan Wuyi $4.20
1 ea. Oriental Beauty $4.90


these i figured i would try those first. but im prob putting an order on another oolongs website to compare.

I really love tung ting tho... camellia sinensis 09 one is real good and the '95 one is awesome. And cheaper and near me, so i decided to wait and not get it at floating leaves and try new teas.

User avatar
Aug 27th 09 4:30 am
Posts: 1784
Joined: Jul 9th 09 3:39 am
Location: Maui
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by tingjunkie » Aug 27th 09 4:30 am

Just got my sampler kit in the mail today with an extra free sample of Da Yu Ling. Woo hoo!

I tried the Shan Lin Xi tonight. Gongfu style in my gaiwan- only enough dry leaf to cover the bottom, but once the leaves opened up, it was almost hard to close the lid! My infusion times were: 7 second rinse, 30s, 25s, 35s,1:00, 1:50, 4:00. Only one of the infusions (2nd) was excellent- pronounced honey notes with a strong, lingering floral finish. The rest were a bit too subtle for my tastes. Didn't really find any of the strong fruit notes claimed on the website's description- perhaps a slight lychee flavor. Any suggestions for better results with this one? Perhaps it needs more heat from a clay pot to bring out the flavors?

User avatar
Aug 28th 09 8:13 am
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd 06 11:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by tenuki » Aug 28th 09 8:13 am

Sounds like it needs waking up and hotter water? Maybe wait a couple minutes after the flash before the first infusion and start at 20, 30, 40? What kind of water are you using, it makes a huge difference in gaoshans, which tend to the subtle side of things.

User avatar
Aug 28th 09 2:19 pm
Posts: 130
Joined: Mar 6th 09 4:44 am

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by teaskeptic » Aug 28th 09 2:19 pm

What does waiting a couple of minutes do?

What type of water do you suggest for gao shans?

User avatar
Aug 28th 09 2:40 pm
Posts: 1784
Joined: Jul 9th 09 3:39 am
Location: Maui
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by tingjunkie » Aug 28th 09 2:40 pm

tenuki wrote:Sounds like it needs waking up and hotter water? Maybe wait a couple minutes after the flash before the first infusion and start at 20, 30, 40? What kind of water are you using, it makes a huge difference in gaoshans, which tend to the subtle side of things.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try it! I'm using NYC tap water run through a PUR water filter.

User avatar
Aug 28th 09 6:29 pm
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd 06 11:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by tenuki » Aug 28th 09 6:29 pm

teaskeptic wrote:What does waiting a couple of minutes do?
Allows for the tea leaves to 'wake up' / soften / relax further from the water/heat of the flash infusion. This allows them to open more fully in the first infusion. The shorter times I'm suggesting are to spread the intense second infusion out across the others. I'm not there so I can't say for sure, but my guess from the description is that the leaves aren't opening enough for the first infusion and that in general the infusion times are too long for the amount of leaves and water temp, hence all of the flavor coming out in the second infusion.
teaskeptic wrote:What type of water do you suggest for gao shans?
For a widely available brand I recommend Fiji. I also use bamboo charcoal in my water kettle when boiling the water.

User avatar
Aug 28th 09 11:08 pm
Posts: 796
Joined: Sep 3rd 08 3:01 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by Maitre_Tea » Aug 28th 09 11:08 pm

wow, shuiwen is definitely psychic or something. When I was making my order I contemplated about ordering the '91 Aged Buddha's Hand (Fo Shou), but didn't in the end...so imagine my surprise when I received some as a free sample with my order! Of course, she probably could tell from my order (all of her medium roasted teas) that I like my teas nicely roasted...hehe

User avatar
Aug 29th 09 1:11 am
Posts: 1784
Joined: Jul 9th 09 3:39 am
Location: Maui
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by tingjunkie » Aug 29th 09 1:11 am

Victoria- you were 100% right about the Da Yu Ling! I just finished the best home gongfu session of my short career with some of my sample. A truly superior oolong. So many flavor and aroma layers!

I used my 90ml gaiwan, with dry leaf covering the bottom, and managed to stretch it to 8 infusions- each one excellent in its own way. My times were 7s Rinse, 22s, 28s, 38s, 38s (accidentally forgot to add to the timer), 1:05, 1:45, 3:00, 5:00. Over the course of the session I found different notes of flowers, honey, apricot, orange blossom, butter, cashew, citrus, salt, and vegetal notes. Most of the while, a lingering sweet floral finish filled my mouth. Crystal clear infusions, and really refreshing mouth feel to boot! Really gotta order some more of that!

Too bad my first attempts with the Muzha TGY, and the Shan Lin Xi were nowhere close, but I'm not giving up on those yet.

User avatar
Aug 29th 09 2:00 am
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 21st 06 4:33 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by Salsero » Aug 29th 09 2:00 am

tingjunkie wrote: Victoria- you were 100% right
I had a similar experience today with the Li Shan. I took a hint from Tenuki by adding a quick rinse + rest and then using shorter infusion times. An amazing 9 infusions, all excellent!

User avatar
Aug 30th 09 5:12 am
Posts: 2299
Joined: Oct 23rd 06 11:46 pm
Location: Seattle Area

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by tenuki » Aug 30th 09 5:12 am

A comment on 'hotter water'. For a long time I knew that if I used my ceramic kettle on the stove to heat my water to a boil that my tea tasted better than when I used my electric kettle with auto shutoff. I really didn't think to much about it, just used my ceramic kettle when I wanted that extra yummy and had the time. Then one day I got curious and payed attention to my electric kettle. It shut off _before_ the rolling boil ever gets established. So I tried an experiment and held down the lever another 20 seconds or so after it would normally shut off and bam, almost as good as my ceramic kettle.

User avatar
Aug 30th 09 7:16 pm
Posts: 8065
Joined: Jan 8th 08 11:00 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by Victoria » Aug 30th 09 7:16 pm

Glad to hear it tingjunkie & Sal - sometimes something you think is most excellent, others disagree. All a matter or taste of course. All the tea I have ordered here has been good, but these two flew off the cart. Glad I restocked.

User avatar
Sep 1st 09 7:37 pm
Posts: 795
Joined: Feb 2nd 09 1:31 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Sale at Floating Leaves Tea

by brad4419 » Sep 1st 09 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone for the info, I ordered the taiwan high mountain Oolong sampler and 1oz of 2009 spring wuyi. These will be my first high mountain Oolongs and only second good oolong tasting. I have a feeling it wont be my last order of oolongs :)