Growing your own tea?

For general/other topics related to tea.

User avatar
Mar 31st, '10, 16:18
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Growing your own tea?

by Chip » Mar 31st, '10, 16:18

Gimme a Yutaka Midori clone!!! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Jun 6th, '10, 16:20
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 28th, '08, 15:42
Location: The first State (DE)

Re: Growing your own tea?

by nonc_ron » Jun 6th, '10, 16:20

nonc_ron wrote:Ebay
30 Tea Plant Seeds,Camellia Sinensis
$3.50

30 Tea Plant Seeds
Young Tea sprouts have been popping out of the ground for the last three days. As of this morning I have 16 Tea plants. Of course there very tender at this age. All it would take is a lazy cat to plop down on them or to dig a hole for a #2 :D
Next year I would like to turn the plants into a hedge.

User avatar
Jun 23rd, '10, 15:07
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 28th, '08, 15:42
Location: The first State (DE)

Re: Growing your own tea?

by nonc_ron » Jun 23rd, '10, 15:07

June 22nd and the tea sprouts have stopped popping up.
I haven't seen any new sprouts this a week.
25 out of 30 came up, which is very good. :)
The embarrassing thing is, I think it was my fault the last 5 didn't come up.
This was my first time at growing tea plants so I tried different methods.
The method I think didn't work is called scarfing (works great on thick shelled nuts) (Sanding/thinning of the shell so it will break open easier)
I did about 5 that way. :oops:
Image

User avatar
Jun 23rd, '10, 15:59
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Growing your own tea?

by Chip » Jun 23rd, '10, 15:59

They are looking great!!! I guess you did not mark the pots that you tried scarfing the seeds?

User avatar
Jun 23rd, '10, 16:42
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 28th, '08, 15:42
Location: The first State (DE)

Re: Growing your own tea?

by nonc_ron » Jun 23rd, '10, 16:42

Chip wrote:They are looking great!!! I guess you did not mark the pots that you tried scarfing the seeds?
No I didn't, I should have. :roll:
I tried different methods to insure that some would come up.
My worst fear was that nothing would come up.

User avatar
Jun 23rd, '10, 17:02
Posts: 20891
Joined: Apr 23rd, '06, 00:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Growing your own tea?

by Chip » Jun 23rd, '10, 17:02

Well, looks like your germination rate was very good! :mrgreen:

Jul 7th, '10, 20:17
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 7th, '10, 20:08

Re: Growing your own tea?

by billybarty » Jul 7th, '10, 20:17

funny I drink so much tea and have a huge garden and havent thought about growing my own until now . Where do I start looking for seeds ?

User avatar
Jul 8th, '10, 00:36
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 28th, '08, 15:42
Location: The first State (DE)

Re: Growing your own tea?

by nonc_ron » Jul 8th, '10, 00:36

billybarty wrote:funny I drink so much tea and have a huge garden and havent thought about growing my own until now . Where do I start looking for seeds ?
Welcome! Nice to have you with us!
Back when I got mine, I did a search for Camellia Sinensis Seeds on Ebay.
30 Tea Plant Seeds $3.50
Wait until next spring to buy your seeds.Image

Aug 31st, '10, 07:38
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 31st, '10, 00:32

Re: Growing your own tea?

by just mǐ » Aug 31st, '10, 07:38

Boo! I almost bought one earlier this year when I went on a plant buying binge at Territorial. At the time I had a VERY plant unfriendly apt. Now I could make it work and they are sold out. Ah well, next year.

User avatar
Aug 31st, '10, 08:23
Vendor Member
Posts: 1518
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 15:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China

Re: Growing your own tea?

by IPT » Aug 31st, '10, 08:23

[quote="nonc_ron]
Young Tea sprouts have been popping out of the ground for the last three days. As of this morning I have 16 Tea plants. Of course there very tender at this age. All it would take is a lazy cat to plop down on them or to dig a hole for a #2 :D
Next year I would like to turn the plants into a hedge.[/quote]

They'll make an awesome hedge! Congrats on your success. I hadn't seen this post or I would have replied a long time ago.