Jan 26th, '20, 00:00

January 26th communiTEA Discussion

by Bridgette » Jan 26th, '20, 00:00

Hello communiTEA drinkers,

Today we taste- Milk oolong!

Milk Oolong is a relatively new cultivar in the delicious world of Taiwanese teas and is prized for its inherent cream and butter notes.

Whatcha think?

Jan 26th, '20, 07:39

Re: January 26th communiTEA Discussion

by CindyG » Jan 26th, '20, 07:39

Bridgette wrote: Hello communiTEA drinkers,

Milk Oolong is a relatively new cultivar in the delicious world of Taiwanese teas and is prized for its inherent cream and butter notes.

Whatcha think?
I like the mild non bitter flavor

Jan 26th, '20, 10:55

by dramamath » Jan 26th, '20, 10:55

I love the smooth flavor. I will definitely add this to my tea rotation.

Jan 26th, '20, 13:57

by Sanguipax » Jan 26th, '20, 13:57

Steeped at 190 bc of the pot I have for 3 min 15 s. Very light in color, smooth no bitterness with this first steep. I usually like more full bodied teas, but this would be nice for a change of pace.

Jan 26th, '20, 15:23

by Jcpill » Jan 26th, '20, 15:23

Whatcha think?
I wasn’t impressed initially by the scent of the tea. There was really none to speak of, but the taste was wonderfully mellow and smooth. I definitely enjoyed this one.

Jan 26th, '20, 15:24

by Jcpill » Jan 26th, '20, 15:24

Jcpill wrote:

Whatcha think?
I wasn’t impressed initially by the scent of the tea. There was really none to speak of, but the taste was wonderfully mellow and smooth. I definitely enjoyed this one.

Jan 26th, '20, 17:02

by Macassi » Jan 26th, '20, 17:02

At first, the tea smelled like dirty sweat socks, but it evolved into an earthy aroma that wasn’t unpleasant. The tea itself is very mild. I don’t dislike it, but I won’t be buying any. As I told my husband, if it were served at a restaurant, I’d have a cup or two and probably enjoy the experience but that’s where I see my experience with this tea ending.

I did love watching the leaves expand as the tea brewed.

Jan 26th, '20, 17:37

by MarkA » Jan 26th, '20, 17:37

Tried this one with my gf and we both agreed the initial smell of the tea was not great. Very mild flavor but not a bad one... not overly impressive either though. Would have to say the milk oolong... is not our cup of tea.

Jan 26th, '20, 18:39

by Insomnisnack » Jan 26th, '20, 18:39

Oolong is absolutely my preferred tea leaf drink with its multiple infusions and variety in terms of color and flavor profile, and this Milk Oolong is definitely up there with my favorites.

Dry leaves smell strongly of grass and hay.

Upon the first infusion, the leaves tripled in size giving off a strong grassy/hay-like aroma. It has a wonderfully clear, light-yellow liquor - characteristic of a lightly-oxidized (greener) tea.
This tea is smooth and subtly sweet without the grassy/vegetal taste. The flavor was milky without the weight or richness, and very reminiscent of sheeps butter. Mellow and soft.
(180F for 3 min)

The second infusion gives way to a powerful sweet-fermented smell to the leaves. At this point they've completely unfurled and the liquor is actually slightly green but still clear.
This tea pushes fresh, dewy sweetness of the aforementioned grassy notes to the forefront. Even though the milk has taken a back seat, it still definitely reminds me of sheeps butter both in flavor and how it can manage to be so subtle yet robust in flavor.
(175F for 3mins)

(: Will definitely be purchasing some of this in the future!
Attachments
CommuniTEA Jan 26 Milk Oolong.jpg

Jan 26th, '20, 23:13

by Samantha Ball » Jan 26th, '20, 23:13

This pack of tea packets randomly arrived with a box of tea I ordered. I don't know if it was a mistake but I'm loving it. Today was the first day for me, and I so wish I'd known sooner. I already ordered the February pack!

This oolong is lovely. I love white tea best so this works well for me with its delicate flavor.

+ Post Reply