Jun 21st, '11, 19:50

Water boiler interiors

by Bakkoi » Jun 21st, '11, 19:50

'lo Teachat,

I'm diving headlong into the world of tea, and I'm looking to get a water boiler. Running up and downstairs to constantly boil a new pot of water is a real drag on the experience, so I was hoping a water boiler would be the answer.

Here's what I'm wondering though... all the Zojirushi have non-stick interiors. I am concerned about xenoestrogens leaching from this plasticized interior, given that it'll be used to boil water and high temperatures and keep it hot for long periods at a time. I've done a bit of searching, and I haven't been able to turn up any water boilers with stainless steel interiors (resevoirs, I guess?).

My question is, does anyone know if they even exist, and if they do, what are the brands/models so I can grab one and stop having to jog up and down stairs?

Jun 21st, '11, 20:23

Re: Water boiler interiors

by wyardley » Jun 21st, '11, 20:23

Most of the ones I know of do have non-stick interiors, I think because they reduce the problems with scale buildup somewhat. I am not sure how much of an actual issue leaching would be likely to be. We do use a Zojirushi brand hot-water dispenser for general drinking water, though I use it less often for tea brewing.

Jun 21st, '11, 21:12

by debunix » Jun 21st, '11, 21:12

My pino kettles have a stainless interior except for plastic on the underside of the lid.

Scale does build up.

Jun 21st, '11, 22:00

by wyardley » Jun 21st, '11, 22:00

debunix wrote:My pino kettles have a stainless interior except for plastic on the underside of the lid.
I think the OP is looking for an automatic water dispenser type device, rather than an electric kettle.

Jun 21st, '11, 22:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 21st, '11, 22:19

The Pino linked is semi automatic and will maintain the desired temp for shorter periods of time. And a pretty good alternative for someone not wanting the non stick interiors.

It would sure solve the running up and down the stairs.

But why do all these seem to have plastic lids (electric kettles in general)? Steam goes up, condenses, drips.

Jun 21st, '11, 23:17

by rdl » Jun 21st, '11, 23:17

Chip wrote: But why do all these seem to have plastic lids (electric kettles in general)? Steam goes up, condenses, drips.
chip - time for a TC SO - all stainless electric tea kettle. do you have any contacts? :lol:

Jun 21st, '11, 23:24

by Chip » Jun 21st, '11, 23:24

rdl wrote:
Chip wrote: But why do all these seem to have plastic lids (electric kettles in general)? Steam goes up, condenses, drips.
chip - time for a TC SO - all stainless electric tea kettle. do you have any contacts? :lol:
Well, yes sort of ... but the quantities would have to be really high. Like how many dozen units should I put you down for? :lol:

Jun 21st, '11, 23:36

by Bakkoi » Jun 21st, '11, 23:36

Sorry, maybe you guys can help me out -- what exactly is the difference in actually using an electric kettle as opposed to a water boiler (i.e. Zojirushi)?

Jun 21st, '11, 23:43

by wyardley » Jun 21st, '11, 23:43

There are lots of threads on the forum about electric kettles that have minimal or no plastic. They are hard to find though.

I think a kettle is better for something that you can easily take around with you, and you usually have better control of the pour. However, you will have to refill it, and usually you'll have to connect it to something or put it back on a base for it to re-boil, and most won't hold the water temperature very long. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on whether you want to cool down the water after boiling it.

A water dispenser is much better if you want something that will sit, usually in the same place, and dispense out hot water at a fixed temperature, at many different times of the day without much fuss or waiting for it to boil.

I use a stovetop or electric kettle more of the time for making tea (though sometimes I use the Zoji to fill the kettle with pre-heated water). I use the Zoji more for general hot water for drinking, casual tea / tisane drinking, and other hot water needs.

Jun 21st, '11, 23:53

by debunix » Jun 21st, '11, 23:53

s
Chip wrote:The Pino linked is semi automatic and will maintain the desired temp for shorter periods of time.
Exactly. I keep it turned on and it keeps the water ready when I'm sitting next to it making frequent infusions. I turn it off when there's a long gap. And unlike most of the water dispensers I've seen, or most other electric kettles, it permits adjustment of desired temperature to anything from 104-207 degrees, or it can be set to go straight up to boil and then turn off--you're not limited to boil then cool or two or three different temperature settings. And with 1.5L capacity, it holds me for a good while with one trip down the hall to the sink.

Jun 22nd, '11, 00:03

by Bakkoi » Jun 22nd, '11, 00:03

So besides the push-button dispensing, the only major difference is that the Pino doesn't keep the water at a fixed temperature?

Jun 22nd, '11, 00:19

by debunix » Jun 22nd, '11, 00:19

The pino will turn the heat on and off to maintain the temp in a narrow range around your set temp--when I set it for 145 to start a morning sencha session, it won't usually drop below about 142 or go above 150, although the control is looser when the pot is closer to empty, and it overshoots the temperature by a larger margin. But it always tells you the temp quite precisely, so if it overshoots, I watch it for a minute or three until it drops to what I want.

But it is not insulated, so it drops temp rapidly when you turn it off, and the reheating phase is rather noisy, which sometimes forces me to take it off the heat when I need to answer a phone call.

Jun 22nd, '11, 12:47

by Stentor » Jun 22nd, '11, 12:47

I have said it in some other threads but I use a stainless steel double walled vacuum insulated thermal carafe to keep my water hot.
It'll easily stay hot enough for an entire sencha session. You just have to make sure to preheat it. In order to do so, I put in a little of the water I just boiled, put the lid on, "shake" the carafe a little so the hot water heats up the entire inside (anyone who has used a cocktail shaker to cool a drink with ice cubes will be familiar with this).
It uses no energy and I have my hot water ready right where I'm having tea. This solution has served me pretty well so far.
If you need water that's hotter than 80-85° C it may not be the best solution but you drink green tea, I think it's worth looking into.
Good thermal carafes with zero plastic aren't cheap, though.
There are even water dispensers like that but I have not used them myself. If I needed more than 1 liter of water I might give one of those a try.

Jun 22nd, '11, 14:16

by Chip » Jun 22nd, '11, 14:16

rdl wrote:
I had preordered the new adagio varieTEA kettle that is due out in July and just looked at it today, at least the exterior of the lid is stainless steel! I am hoping the interior is as well.

5 push button temp settings and a 30 minute "keep warm" feature. How many of these new features will I actually use? Heck, I just boil now despite the multiple settings, have never once used the variable temp. :lol:

After beating this old utiliTEA to death for years, I am excited for a change in "kettle scenary."

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/varieTEA_ ... d5add44245

Jun 22nd, '11, 14:18

by David R. » Jun 22nd, '11, 14:18

If you happen to have a photo of this carafe Stentor...

+ Post Reply