Jun 29th, '12, 14:20

Cheapest Set Temp Kettles?

by LowInFat » Jun 29th, '12, 14:20

I'm looking for an electric kettle where I have some element of control over the water temperature. Ideally, this would mean one where I can set any temperature I want and have it bring the water there rather than boiling it. I also wouldn't mind one where you may not be able to set the temperature, but it comes with a thermometer, so you that you can just turn it off when it gets to your desired temperature. Ideally, I'd want one with both.

All of the ones I've seen have been over $100. Has anyone found any for less that they would recommend?

Thanks.

Jun 29th, '12, 17:02

Re: Cheapest Set Temp Kettles?

by Poohblah » Jun 29th, '12, 17:02

Adagio has a couple that are both below $100. I think Pino makes one as well.

Easiest and cheapest option would be to buy the thermometer and kettle separately.

Jun 29th, '12, 18:04

by debunix » Jun 29th, '12, 18:04

I have three of these from Pino, $69 on Amazon.

Jul 3rd, '12, 00:33

by phoenixK » Jul 3rd, '12, 00:33

debunix wrote:I have three of these from Pino, $69 on Amazon.

I also have this. The reviews are kind of scary about it breaking. I have had it about a year and it still works well. Also I like that it tells you the current temperature at all times. This is nice because it overshoots the set temperature a bit (when the water level is low it can be a lot) when reheating... So it helps to watch the temperature drop back down so you know when it is "safe" to pour the water again.

Jul 3rd, '12, 20:12

by LowInFat » Jul 3rd, '12, 20:12

phoenixK wrote:I also have this. The reviews are kind of scary about it breaking. I have had it about a year and it still works well. Also I like that it tells you the current temperature at all times. This is nice because it overshoots the set temperature a bit (when the water level is low it can be a lot) when reheating... So it helps to watch the temperature drop back down so you know when it is "safe" to pour the water again.
I was excited to get it until I read the reviews. Normally I would dismiss it but there was a remarkable number of people with the same issue of something or other breaking/ceasing to function after only a few months. I'm split between that one and the utiliTEA kettle from Adagio. The Pino seems to work way better and have a greater capacity, as well as the "keep hot" feature, but the reviews are much better for Adagio's. Ah well, I'll figure something out.

+ Post Reply