Show off your Pu!!!!!!!

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

User avatar
Dec 8th, '08, 04:43
Posts: 434
Joined: Apr 1st, '08, 01:46

by thanks » Dec 8th, '08, 04:43

Like I said the flavor has improved dramatically. It looks like it's undergone some wet storage, and four years is usually an awkward stage for most pu'er's I've tried.

The big green tree you have most likely aren't fakes, as the 2003 big green tree that I've seen on eBay is only 27$. Only the 99 commands outrageous prices.

User avatar
Dec 8th, '08, 04:46
Posts: 163
Joined: Jun 19th, '08, 23:13

by taitea » Dec 8th, '08, 04:46

thanks wrote: The big green tree you have most likely aren't fakes, as the 2003 big green tree that I've seen on eBay is only 27$. Only the 99 commands outrageous prices.
Do you have a link? A local vendor here is selling 2003 Big Green cakes for $85 canadian. I thought that was a bit much.

User avatar
Dec 8th, '08, 15:28
Vendor Member
Posts: 1990
Joined: Apr 4th, '06, 19:07
Location: NYC

by TIM » Dec 8th, '08, 15:28

Manatoa wrote:
thanks wrote: To TIM

The brick is really nice. I'm drinking in right now since you brought it up. They got pretty wet stored on the slow boat to Canada when I bought them and at first I thought they were ruined. After a few years in very dry storage they have a distinct shicang flavour with a very strong notes of camphor and bark. Like the basenotes of a 7542 but much stronger and without the musk. Quite energetic too.
Thanks Manatoa, for the review. I am watching how this company growing or improving. So far, they are one of the up and coming blender and their products shows good chi and nice balance. Great choice : )T

User avatar
Dec 8th, '08, 16:28
Posts: 434
Joined: Apr 1st, '08, 01:46

by thanks » Dec 8th, '08, 16:28

taitea wrote:
thanks wrote: The big green tree you have most likely aren't fakes, as the 2003 big green tree that I've seen on eBay is only 27$. Only the 99 commands outrageous prices.
Do you have a link? A local vendor here is selling 2003 Big Green cakes for $85 canadian. I thought that was a bit much.
Well, now that you mention it, I've never ordered from this vendor before, so it's quite possible they might be unwittingly selling the "fake" versions as well. They have a bunch of interesting teas at some... interesting prices. Some reasonable, some not, and the shipping is astronomical, so be warned. Anyway, here it is;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meng-Hai-2003-Wild- ... m153.l1262

User avatar
Dec 8th, '08, 17:23
Posts: 163
Joined: Jun 19th, '08, 23:13

by taitea » Dec 8th, '08, 17:23

Hmmm, after shipping and currency conversion, I'm not sure what to think.

$85 canadian = $67 usd.

Ebay has it for $27 + $16 shipping = $43.

Given that my vendor probably has a pretty large markup, this could be legit. The thing is, I wouldn't know how to tell if it was fake or not even if I got one.

Just noticed they have a 250g and a 350g version. hmmm

User avatar
Dec 8th, '08, 18:15
Posts: 15
Joined: Nov 9th, '08, 02:36

by Manatoa » Dec 8th, '08, 18:15

thanks wrote:
taitea wrote:
thanks wrote: The big green tree you have most likely aren't fakes, as the 2003 big green tree that I've seen on eBay is only 27$. Only the 99 commands outrageous prices.
Do you have a link? A local vendor here is selling 2003 Big Green cakes for $85 canadian. I thought that was a bit much.
Well, now that you mention it, I've never ordered from this vendor before, so it's quite possible they might be unwittingly selling the "fake" versions as well. They have a bunch of interesting teas at some... interesting prices. Some reasonable, some not, and the shipping is astronomical, so be warned. Anyway, here it is;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Meng-Hai-2003-Wild- ... m153.l1262
The pictures and descriptions are from the site I bought them from in 2003. I guess they just changed the name of their ebay store. There was some discussion in 2004 on RFDT that these were fake. If anyone has that new-born pu'erh book they could compare the images on the ebay site to the pictures for the '03 Big Green Tree and see if they agree. One person on RFDT seems to have ordered cakes represented by the pictures you see on ebay and received a cake with a different wrapper and nei fei. The ones I got agree with the ebay site pictures.

Just search for Menghai cake real or fake and the old thread will come up.

Dec 13th, '08, 00:40

by Deleted User #17777 » Dec 13th, '08, 00:40

bang a tong - get it on ....

just arrived , almost exactly 4 weeks via SAL ...

Image[/url]

User avatar
Dec 13th, '08, 00:46
Posts: 155
Joined: Nov 5th, '08, 01:35
Location: NYC

by Goose » Dec 13th, '08, 00:46

TomVerlain wrote:bang a tong - get it on ....

just arrived , almost exactly 4 weeks via SAL ...

Image[/url]
Very nice, Buy 7 get the 8th free!

I am awaiting some of the 8582 also.
Jim

User avatar
Dec 13th, '08, 04:21
Posts: 1633
Joined: Feb 15th, '08, 15:15
Location: Pennsylvania
Been thanked: 1 time

by shogun89 » Dec 13th, '08, 04:21

NICE!!!! That is the tong I have always wanted. ENJOY! And be sure to post some thoughts on it. Short brews are key with this one!

User avatar
Dec 13th, '08, 04:23
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 21st, '06, 04:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Dec 13th, '08, 04:23

I bought one cake hoping I would get seven free, but apparently it doesn't work in reverse.

It would be so nice to have a whole tong of something. They look so cool, but there is no way I could ever drink it all ... even in my next 5 lifetimes.

User avatar
Dec 13th, '08, 16:58
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 21:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Dec 13th, '08, 16:58

I see you got the 802.

Just kidding. :lol: Great score!!!

Dec 13th, '08, 20:15

by Deleted User #17777 » Dec 13th, '08, 20:15

everyone knows the 802 is the one to get :wink:

opened it up and brewed some (From the bonus 8th cake)

No way around the fact it is too young for me to drink regularly. With short steeps, not too bitter, has a bit of smoke, and darker than than I would have expected. The soup is pretty viscous, nice mouth feel, not astringent. Not like hay, grass or vegetal like some other young sheng I have tried.

I was surprised at how tightly compressed this was. Like particle board (not very appetizing to visualize, but apt). Not moist, some new cakes feel a bit damp. There is a mix of orange and brown and silver leaves, not too much stem. The leaves seem small, and the brewed leave were too broken up to really see what full sized leaves looked like. Breaking it apart was hard due to the compression.

I bought it to age, and think it will do well. (one hopes)

Image

Image

User avatar
Dec 13th, '08, 22:13
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 21:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Dec 13th, '08, 22:13

It's a beautiful thing, Tom.

User avatar
Dec 19th, '08, 04:14
Posts: 5151
Joined: Dec 21st, '06, 04:33
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Been thanked: 1 time

by Salsero » Dec 19th, '08, 04:14

Received from Puerhshop today:

7 CAKES
2004 CNNP 7548 Green Pu-erh Tea
2004 CNNP Old Tree Green Pu-erh Tea
2005 CNNP Yellow Label Pu-erh Tea
  • (3 CNNP cakes because I realized I had no cakes with the Zhong Cha mark :shock:)
2005 Jingmai Ancient Arbor Pu-erh Tea Cake
  • (I like the 2007 Jingmai Mountain Spring and asked Jim to suggest another Jingmai for me to try)
2006 Douji Yiwu Mountain Arbor Pu-erh Tea Cake
  • (I liked a sample)
2006 Changtai 339 Pu-erh Tea Cake
  • (I don’t have much of any Changtai and it is one of Hop’s fav factories)
2007 Mengsa Arbor Pu-erh Tea Cake
  • (I liked a sample)

4 SAMPLES
2007 Douji Eco Ancient Tree Pu-erh Tea Cake
  • (Hop and others like this one)
2003 Dayi Yiwu Arbor Pu-erh Tea Cake
  • (Jeremy liked this one)
2008 Premium Bingdao Arbor brick
American Hao 0802
LOOSE SHU
2006 Golden Sail Brand Loose Leaf Pu-erh Tea (4 Ounce)
  • (I liked the sample Omegapd sent me and it is less than $3 for 4 oz!)

User avatar
Dec 19th, '08, 07:00
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08, 21:07
Location: The Isle of Malta

by tony shlongini » Dec 19th, '08, 07:00

Salsero: Male sure you're sitting down when you try the Changtai. The flavors are almost overwhelming (and pretty smoky).

I bought the CNNP 7548 a while back, but haven't opened it yet. Look forward to your comments.