Shincha season's coming up, isn't it?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 7th, '14, 18:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Shincha season's coming up, isn't it?

by Devoted135 » Apr 7th, '14, 18:23

tjsan wrote:
Devoted135 wrote:I've just placed my shincha pre-order for the year. :mrgreen: O-cha's chiran shincha and organic oku yutaka, as well as the sae midori. Looking forward to the new season!
Hmm, I ordered once Chiran sencha, but unfortunately it never arrived to me, so I have no opinion about o-cha.
What??? That's crazy! :shock: :!:

I'm currently loving their organic chiran sencha, so I have high hopes for the shincha.

Apr 7th, '14, 20:04

by Chip » Apr 7th, '14, 20:04

Devoted135 wrote:
tjsan wrote:
Devoted135 wrote:I've just placed my shincha pre-order for the year. :mrgreen: O-cha's chiran shincha and organic oku yutaka, as well as the sae midori. Looking forward to the new season!
Hmm, I ordered once Chiran sencha, but unfortunately it never arrived to me, so I have no opinion about o-cha.

I'm currently loving their organic chiran sencha, so I have high hopes for the shincha.
Did you contact O-Cha regarding your order to confirm it was shipped, etc.? How long ago did this occur?

Apr 7th, '14, 21:16

by tjsan » Apr 7th, '14, 21:16

Chip wrote:
Devoted135 wrote:
tjsan wrote:

Did you contact O-Cha regarding your order to confirm it was shipped, etc.? How long ago did this occur?

Yep, it was in 2010. I received a confirmation via email and that's it.

Apr 8th, '14, 11:43

by Peacock » Apr 8th, '14, 11:43

The first shincha from Tea's of Japan is available. Albeit, a bit expensive I will purchase it. After all, shincha season is only once a year.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjloGrhW4Tc

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... cPath=1_24

Apr 8th, '14, 22:08

by gunbuster363 » Apr 8th, '14, 22:08

Ippodo have Shincha but it seems their only got it for Japanese customer

http://shop.ippodo-tea.co.jp/kyoto/shop/index.html

If you check the English website, there are no Shincha on sale:

http://shop.ippodo-tea.co.jp/kyoto/shopf/index.html

I am considering buying their Shincha using another service to ship the Tea from Japan to Hong Kong... well a little extra cost

Well it seems shipping within Japan have a minimum amount for free shipping...

Apr 9th, '14, 09:42

by MEversbergII » Apr 9th, '14, 09:42

Hopefully the OTTI gets a shincha round soon!

M.

Apr 9th, '14, 10:34

by Poseidon » Apr 9th, '14, 10:34

MEversbergII wrote:Hopefully the OTTI gets a shincha round soon!

M.
otti otti otti otti! otti!

Apr 10th, '14, 10:17

by Odrahcyr » Apr 10th, '14, 10:17

Yuuki-Cha have actually quite a lot of different shincha.
I ordered nine different shincha (I drink a lot of tea). Can't wait till the first package of tea arrives in early may.

Yuuki-Cha have also shincha matcha. Does someone know if there is a real difference in flavor between shincha matcha and plain normal matcha?
Last edited by Odrahcyr on Apr 10th, '14, 12:52, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 10th, '14, 10:55

by Chip » Apr 10th, '14, 10:55

Kevangogh wrote:Shincha is available from Japan, our first shincha is in stock and shipping.

Apr 10th, '14, 11:03

by Chip » Apr 10th, '14, 11:03

tjsan wrote:
Chip wrote:
Devoted135 wrote:
tjsan wrote:

Yep, it was in 2010. I received a confirmation via email and that's it.
That is quite unfortunate and unusual. And this can of course occur with any package from any vendor. I have ordered seemingly countless packages of tea direct from Japan from numerous vendors and all but one arrived (Hibiki-An) which was actually 7 or more years ago.

Of course, when we select the least expensive shipping method, we must be willing to accept the risks which are usually clearly stated on vendor sites ... however it never hurts to contact the vendor. In fact, most vendors will want you to contact them if there is a package delivery issue.

Apr 10th, '14, 11:17

Shincha season's coming up, isn't it?

by Pig Hog » Apr 10th, '14, 11:17

Odrahcyr wrote:Yuuki-Cha have actually quite a lot of different shinsha.
I ordered nine different shinsha (I drink a lot of tea). Can't wait till the first package of tea arrives in early may.

Yuuki-Cha have also shinsha matcha. Does someone know if there is a real difference in flavor between shinsha matcha and plain normal matcha?
I bought some shincha matcha last year and really enjoyed it -- will probably do some more this year too.

Trouble is that because the shincha is different to the normal stock of matcha, it's kind of hard to compare.

Technically, it's freshly ground instead of aged, so the difference will be the lack of the ageing process. Can't say how much difference that makes to the taste but last year's choices were very nice.

Apr 10th, '14, 13:37
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Apr 10th, '14, 13:37

There is no such thing as "shincha matcha". Matcha (and gyokuro) is supposed to be aged for several months before it is released. Of course, before that time comes the previous year's matcha will often run out and the current year's product will be sold out of lack of options, prior to it's optimum time. That does not make it "shincha", nor does it make it special. In fact if it hasn't been aged it won't be as good as the previous year's, older version which may still be in stock. There's nothing wrong with selling the current year's product before it's time, provided you realized that it's not going to be as good as something that has been aged properly. Selling "shincha" matcha or gyokuro is pure hype, they don't do this in Japan.

Apr 10th, '14, 13:39
Vendor Member

by Kevangogh » Apr 10th, '14, 13:39

This is from four years ago, excuse me if I can't exactly remember this order. Did you contact us regarding it? Did you choose first class shipping, or EMS?
tjsan wrote:

Apr 10th, '14, 14:28

by tjsan » Apr 10th, '14, 14:28

Kevangogh wrote:This is from four years ago, excuse me if I can't exactly remember this order. Did you contact us regarding it? Did you choose first class shipping, or EMS?
tjsan wrote:

Yes I did and I get confirmation of shippment, but my order never arrived. Order id: #26896 http://i.imgur.com/BM4scmS.jpg

It was first class shipping.

Apr 10th, '14, 22:05

by gunbuster363 » Apr 10th, '14, 22:05

http://www.o-cha.com/tanegashima-sencha.html

O Cha have 'a' shincha available and shipping now. It is a asamushi and it relatively easier on the wallet. I just order 1 yesterday.

Note that this is the only shincha available NOW, other will have to wait til May.

---

Copied from O Cha's website:

Tanegashima Asamushi Sencha (currently in shincha form, IN STOCK, and NOW SHIPPING!) - This sencha is light steamed green tea ("asamushi-cha") and grown on Tanega Island south of Kagoshima. This is the very first shicha produced in Japan each year. It is from a cultivar not often encountered known as Shimamidori (direct translation “Island Green”) and while most other cultivars of green tea are raised by hybridization, this sencha is grown exclusively from seed and is only planted in Tangegashima making it a very rare cultivar. A very pronounced grassy aroma greets you when you first open the package. When brewed, it yields a flavorful, somewhat fruity, and a bit astringent liquor. Although you can brew this in just about any type of Japanese teapot, you will get get the best out of it by brewing in either a houhin or shiboridashi teapot.

+ Post Reply