Jul 27th, '10, 10:00

Re: Hagi, presented for your disapproval

by JBaymore » Jul 27th, '10, 10:00

Chip (+ all),

Well, I got an email response from the guy. Came into my inbox about 5 hours ago.

I wrote to him solely in Japanese and specifically asked if the palownia wood boxes were signed by Seigan. His response was short and simple....and did not answer the PRIME question I gave him but was specific enough to answer a question I did NOT ask him.

Interestingly, his reply was written in English, and said only that the box was wood, that it was a "box of simplicity" (his exact words), and that it was not palownia wood.

There was no direct mention at all of who signed the boxes.

It is possible that the phrase "box of simplicity" was intended by him to mean that it is NOT signed by Seigan...... or it might be that it is deliberately evasive on that matter. It could mean that.... or it could not mean that. It could also means that they are not "good" boxes... but very basic boxes. A basic box could possibly not be signed by the artist.

Vague at best.

He was very specific in mentioning it was not palownia wood...even though I did not ASK about that fact. He picked it up from my phrasing of the Japanese sentence that I ASSUMED that fact.

The use of English to answer me instead of his native language might be him being polite to me (very Japanese) since I have an "English speaking name and email address".......... or it might be because he can be more evasive in English (as in the phrase "box of simplicity") and claim it was just a "language issue".... rather than having to be VERY precise in Nihongo. [Or maybe he just thinks my Nihongo is terrible :lol: .]

I will follow up again with the specific question one more time. And maybe ask him to please respond in Nihongo too :wink: .

best,

...........john

PS: LATER EDIT: The piece I asked him about was a $160 buy-it-now chawan:

Jul 27th, '10, 10:50

by JBaymore » Jul 27th, '10, 10:50

OK... new email is now off to the guy.

Thanked him for the last email but said I did not understand.

Specific simple question...... "Did Seigan-san write on the top of the wooden box?"

We'll see.

best,

............john

Jul 27th, '10, 11:28

by Robert Fornell » Jul 27th, '10, 11:28

A number of interesting posts here and my heart goes out to Chip regarding the purchase. A couple comments that resonated with me.....

"buy the pot and not the potter"...... I know that Warren MacKenzie stopped signing work for a while as too many pieces were ending up as what he perceived as "investments" rather than for use.

Teed Off brought up the issue of copying/forgery which, if one were to get involved in, why copy a, IMHO, relatively unknown (outside of the internet) potter? Like JB, I wouldn't go down that path, but if I were to, I would choose someone who's works commanded higher yen, but yet somewhat of a low profile, not National living treasure type material because as JB said, the scrutiny is too intense and the buyers at that level too knowledgeable.

Looking at JB's previous 2 posts in the light of cross cultural communications (ibunka)....... Linguistic differences, differences in fluency levels, differences in communication style ie. direct vs. indirect, as well as basic cultural differences. When all these come together on an international venue like Ebay, things can happen.

I think the seller probably bought works from this potter at a discount, in bulk, or off Yahoo Japan Auctions as there is a lot of work on that site at deeply discounted prices. He signed or had boxes signed to add value. Deceitful yes. Uncommon, no.

Best,
R

Jul 27th, '10, 11:50

by britt » Jul 27th, '10, 11:50

JBaymore wrote:The boxes for Japanese pots can vary all over the place. To lay out the general scenario.......

There can be no box at all.

The box can be of cardboard and have a printed label with typeset type.

The box can be of cardboard and have a caligraphic looking but printed label.

The box can be of very inexpensive wood construction and have no labeling at all.

The box can be of inexpensive construction and have black caligraphic writing on it and a red stamp (or two). This writing could be done by a distributor, the vendor, or the artist.

The box can be of good quality construction and have black caligraphic writing on it and a red stamp (or two). This writing could be done by a distributor, the vendor, or the artist.

The box can be of good quality construction and have black caligraphic writing on it and a red stamp (or two). This writing is done by the artist or someone on his/her staff designated by the artist to do so.

The box can be of both superior quality wood and construction and have black caligraphic writing on it and a red stamp (or two). This writing is done by the artist.

You can put in there some other permutaions of this idea... but that is the general "heiarchy" of things. In larger operations sometimes the caligraphy on the boxes for the lower bracket works is done by the deshi or shokunin or office workers. Maybe the master potter only affixes the hanko. For lower priced works, sometimes there is an extra charge for adding the "artist signed box", due to the time and costs involved on a piece that does not carry support for that in the original price.

Generally speaking, the "increasing" heiarchy above goes hand-in-hand with increasing price for the work. One way to potentially jack up the percieved value for a piece is to add in a wooden box to it. Wooden boxes are traditionally reserved for the "better", more valuable pieces.

"Run-of-kiln" production type pieces don't typically get sold with signed wooden boxes. Vendors will often add these with "post production" (not done by the kiln....done by the vendor) boxes that bear a caligraphic description of what is in the box ....ie. ぐいのみ....., and the kiln location name....sometimes using a red stamp for this. To someone who cannot read Nihongo (Japanese) it can LOOK like an artist signed box... but it is not. And it is not intended to; these boxes are made for the Japanese market... and it is expected that the person purchasing the piece (with box) reads Nihongo.

Signed wooden boxes are usually reserved for the more one-of-a-kind or the exhibition works, that almost always have involved the hand of the master potter in a significant part of the genesis of the piece.

Sometimes a box is done for a specific piece by someone other than the artist, typically after his/her death. This is typically reserved for famous artists and pieces. This person creating the box might be a former deshi of the artist if they are successful enough, the potter son of that artist, or a noted expert in the field of Japanese ceramics like maybe a museum curator. And the box will bear the fact of how it was created.

Each potter makes a personal decision about at what quality and price point level his/her work routinely warrants such boxes included with the pieces. Lesser known artists likely will do this for works at a price point that someone like a Matsuzaki Ken (look him up... he's great) would not consider.

To REALLY know if the pot is the real thing from the artist you think it is, and that BOX the pot is in is the real thing from the artist you think it is, requires either depending on the trust in a good reputable dealer or agent, or knowing both the artist's work and (reading) the artists' caligraphy and personal hanko (stamp) very, very well. Lots of study and practice.

And as we've seen here.... sometimes the boxes look SO bad.... that you don't really need to be an "expert" to detect something is wrong. :wink: :roll:

best,

..................john

PS: I already told Chip this ... but I wrote (in Japanese) the the guy on Ebay asking if another "Seigan" piece he has listed comes with a box SIGNED BY Seigan. No answer so far :wink: .
Very informative, thanks for taking the time to write this!

Jul 27th, '10, 20:34
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jul 27th, '10, 20:34

Thanks everyone for the newer replies!

After more than 4 days since sending my message w/o response to this seller outlining my concerns in the alloted number of characters or less, and seeing that they have responded to John in a day or two, I figure I am done waiting. I have left what I feel is appropriate feedback.

Now what will ebay do once the seller whines about it?

Just saw, selling a Seigan blue chawan for a pretty high buy now price of $160 or make an offer ...
"SPECIAL OFFER! BIG SALE PRICE STARTS! ORIGINAL PRICE IS $450"
HURRY!!! :lol: was $450 ... :roll:

Jul 27th, '10, 21:13

by JBaymore » Jul 27th, '10, 21:13

Chip,

That $160 chawan is the one I am inquiring about and got the answers so far on. We know that at that price point (if you believe him that it is really a $450 chawan) he is already telling me it is not palownia wood and the boxes are "simple". So imagine what you get with the cheaper pieces :lol: ?

Also remember... in the guy's "defense"... I was writing my question in Japanese. He was replying in one or two sentence English. It was not long and involved....and half the conversation was in his language (as well as I can speak it :wink: ).

If you are writing a lot of English in your messages..... he likey is wading through it trying to understand it all.

NOT that I am really defending him. Just being realistic. English is almost certainly a second language there.

But it does still "stink".

best,

...............john

Jul 27th, '10, 21:16

by JBaymore » Jul 27th, '10, 21:16

britt wrote:Very informative, thanks for taking the time to write this!
britt,

No problem. You are welcome.

best,

..........john

Jul 27th, '10, 21:35

by JBaymore » Jul 27th, '10, 21:35

Robert,

Good to see you sharing your thoughts here too.
ronin ceramurai wrote:Like JB, I wouldn't go down that path, but if I were to, I would choose someone who's works commanded higher yen, but yet somewhat of a low profile, not National living treasure type material because as JB said, the scrutiny is too intense and the buyers at that level too knowledgeable.
Hey Robert.... you want to go into business together? Maybe some Matsuzaki Ken stuff? Think we could pull off Suzuki Goro? Ah.... Koie Ryouji! That's the ticket. No wait...... Hamada Tomoo...I do overglaze enamels and have Mashiko Stone. :lol: :lol: :lol: (TOTALLY kidding folks, kidding.)
ronin ceramurai wrote:Looking at JB's previous 2 posts in the light of cross cultural communications (ibunka)....... Linguistic differences, differences in fluency levels, differences in communication style ie. direct vs. indirect, as well as basic cultural differences. When all these come together on an international venue like Ebay, things can happen.
Yup....... difficult communications at best. My guess is that in typical Japanese fashion, he answered my question already, really. If I were in Japan dealing in person.... I'd know that from voice inflection and maybe the "sucking teeth sound" that might have been there..... and with the clear avoidance of the direct answer to the question asked. As I mentioned already..... "simple boxes" is the indirect answer. There to see, if you are listening.
ronin ceramurai wrote:I think the seller probably bought works from this potter at a discount, in bulk, or off Yahoo Japan Auctions as there is a lot of work on that site at deeply discounted prices. He signed or had boxes signed to add value. Deceitful yes. Uncommon, no.
Most of the Seigan and Deshi stuff that I have seen on EBay and the various "one stop shopping" type tea/teaware online vendors is, as best as I can tell from looking at them, "kiln" production work or lower end artist's pieces. So I think you are correct about the sourcing of most of this stuff. The potters tend to reserve the beter items for exhibitions and the gallery type dealers, with higher prices.

I think the depressed lower to mid level economy in Japan combined with the younger generation's tendency toward a lack of interest in more traditional culture and pursuits has caused many potters there to look to the internet for moving some lower priced works outside the internal Japanese economy.

Who knows.

Even with all the "benefit of the doubts" thrown in,.... this guy smells a bit fishy.

best,

.............john

Jul 27th, '10, 21:59

by JBaymore » Jul 27th, '10, 21:59

I just looked at another of this guy's auctions. It is for a piece by Ishii Takahiro. It has a box lid showing on the offering. (Unfortunately...the box lid image there is small.... but I isolated it.)

Look at the calligraphy quality on the two lids. Look a the signature area. Seems significantly different to me. Yeah...... could be a "bad writing day". Still more questions.

Known Genuine Box:
GenuineBoxTrocodero.jpg
GenuineBoxTrocodero.jpg (18.26 KiB) Viewed 876 times
This guy's box:
OtherGuy'sBox.jpg
OtherGuy'sBox.jpg (3.1 KiB) Viewed 876 times
best,

............john

Jul 27th, '10, 22:24

by Proinsias » Jul 27th, '10, 22:24

If that's a bad writing day, it must have been one hell of a day. I'd have liked to have been there.

Jul 27th, '10, 22:28

by Chip » Jul 27th, '10, 22:28

Proinsias wrote:If that's a bad writing day, it must have been one hell of a day. I'd have liked to have been there.
Didn't you read the Seigan descriptions? He was likely out drinking beer and sake with Seigan! :lol: Seriously, give that guy a breathalizer test.

Jul 28th, '10, 11:22

by britt » Jul 28th, '10, 11:22

Does anyone know if this seller is actually Japanese? This is the weirdest story of Japanese customer service I've ever heard of.

I got ripped once on Ebay purchasing vintage video game items from a Japanese vendor. He had a great Japanese name for his business and he presented himself as Japanese. I thought it was strange that I could find a real Japanese vendor who was so outright deceitful, completely lacking in ethics, and so fraudulent in his product descriptions. I checked him out further and found that he is Chinese, living in France, and selling on Ebay from Japan, where he resided for a portion of each year.

After I filed my Ebay complaint (auction had ended) he changed the Ebay posting i.e. pictures and product description. I had already saved the original webpage. I had also paid extra for EMS shipping but he sent via regular airmail and pocketed the difference. One product in the order was legitimate and worth about $90, the other $50 item was not worth anything because what it was described as doesn't even exist. I had paid about $160 total. I offered for him to refund $60 and we'd call it even and the conflict would end. He just laughed at me. I told him I would get a refund and keep the product if he didn't resolve this. More laughing!

I contacted the credit card company and initiated a chargeback. I told them I had not received the product that was described in the auction description, which was actually carefully worded truth. They contacted him to provide proof of shipping. Since he ripped me off on the EMS by shipping unregistered airmail, I knew he could not provide proof. I ended up with a full refund and kept the order. Boy, was he crying when he contacted me afterward! I told him I had given him every opportunity to agree to a fair resolution but he refused, so he deserved this lesson and he should learn from it.

Chip, have you considered taking some form of action with the credit card company? Does Ebay now have some form of guarantee on the products sold on its site? Doesn't PayPal also have a satisfaction guarantee? What happened to me was in 2001. Back then PayPal had a resolution policy and system, but they never really resolved anything and it took so long that the deadline for filing a chargeback with the credit card company would have expired. If you paid by credit card, be aware of time limits. Also, after my chargeback, PayPal threatened to shut down my account for not using their flawed resolution system. I told them to go ahead, shut it down. They never did.

Jul 28th, '10, 11:47

by Chip » Jul 28th, '10, 11:47

Thanks for sharing your experience, Britt. All I have done is considered taking further action, I am taking it slow and deliberate. I sent a non replied message to the seller, now left feedback.

I really do not want to get into returning items. The actual wares are pretty nice, though I am certain are larger production runs ... not a huge deal though most Hagi I look at/collect are more limited runs ... and the Hagi SOs are very limited runs of around 20ish pieces (but they liked the design and results so much that they did later large production runs anyway.)

Jul 28th, '10, 12:20

by JBaymore » Jul 28th, '10, 12:20

britt wrote:Does anyone know if this seller is actually Japanese? This is the weirdest story of Japanese customer service I've ever heard of.

I got ripped once on Ebay purchasing vintage video game items from a Japanese vendor. He had a great Japanese name for his business and he presented himself as Japanese. I thought it was strange that I could find a real Japanese vendor who was so outright deceitful, completely lacking in ethics, and so fraudulent in his product descriptions. I checked him out further and found that he is Chinese, living in France, and selling on Ebay from Japan, where he resided for a portion of each year.
PRECISELY what I was thinking. I already asked Chip in a PM if he checked the packaging... and see if it actually came from Osaka (it did).

I practice Iaido..... and on EBay the Chinese dominate the market for sword parts and fittings (mostly junk). The listings of this guy are reminiscent of the Chinese sword part listings. And the "practices" are similar.

This stuff would be WAY atypical for a Nihonjin. (Even the Yakuza have their own code of proper behavior.)

best,

..............john

Jul 28th, '10, 12:44

by britt » Jul 28th, '10, 12:44

Chip wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience, Britt. All I have done is considered taking further action, I am taking it slow and deliberate. I sent a non replied message to the seller, now left feedback.

I really do not want to get into returning items. The actual wares are pretty nice, though I am certain are larger production runs ... not a huge deal though most Hagi I look at/collect are more limited runs ... and the Hagi SOs are very limited runs of around 20ish pieces (but they liked the design and results so much that they did later large production runs anyway.)
Have you considered asking a vendor such as Artistic Nippon if they could order some legitimate boxes for you, maybe direct from Seigan if this is what you want? This would be an extra expense, but may be worth the peace of mind.

I am also particular about things like packaging. The best way I've found to avoid problems is to stick with proven vendors whenever possible. However, when I do try a new vendor, I do online research first. TeaChat is a good starting point. I then do a general search on Google or Bing.

I also consider the layout of the site and whether it appears that the owners of the webshop are in business only for profit or if they actually like what they're doing. In other words, would a vendor who takes the time to setup a really awesome, attractive site with complete and knowlegable product description and photos, really do this if he was a con-artist? Even if the site is outdated, do the product descriptions sound like an advertisement or are they written enthusiastically by someone who is knowlegable about their product? With this system I found Artistic Nippon, 2000 Cranes, Hou De, Magokorado, Jing Tea Shop, and The Beijing Tea Party (Think Beijing). Think Beijing is a good example of a vendor website in mainland China that was very well laid out with good photos and enthusiastic product description. I couldn't find much online about them, but they are affiliated with a well-established firm in the US. I took a chance and recieved the order two days ago. I was very happy I did when I received the order on Monday. I don't place large first orders, though. I do a trial run first.

+ Post Reply