Sep 4th, '10, 18:51

colour of tetsubin "fur"

by jjanek » Sep 4th, '10, 18:51

Hi everybody,
I´ve bought antique tetsubin (100 years, very nice, by the way :) ), but I´am not sure about one thing and need your advice, please. The tetsubin has quite thick "fur" inside, which I have read could be good thing, but it is usually written that it is white or white-yellowish. Mine is brown or orange-brown (I´ll try to upload photos, colour is not exact, I´could not get white balance right, but it is similar to reality :wink: ). Is it O.K.? What´s the reason? I´ve boiled down water in it for three times, should I do something else? Thanks for all answers
Yours
Janek
P.S.: excuse my english, please
Attachments
no2.jpg
no2.jpg (34.03 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
no1.jpg
no1.jpg (34.88 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

Sep 4th, '10, 21:55
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: colour of tetsubin "fur"

by Chip » Sep 4th, '10, 21:55

Welcome Janek to TeaChat. Your English is quite fine. How is the weather in CZ?

Hopefully one of our members who is more versed on the subject of tetsubins will chime in shortly.

Sep 5th, '10, 06:18

by jjanek » Sep 5th, '10, 06:18

Thank you for your welcome, Chip, I´m glad to become member of community. Weather was really rainy for more than a week, but today we´ve got some sun (altogether with cold wind :D ). I have also interesting mail conversation about tetsubins with Aaron Fisher (I´d like to thank him even here, his knowledge is deep and he kindly shares it with other), but I´m really interested in other opinions and experiences.
Thanks and best wishes
Janek

Sep 5th, '10, 09:11
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » Sep 5th, '10, 09:11

I have no idea about tetsubin. But this may be an interesting chemistry question. If the "fur" is reddish brownish, it's very likely the regular rust (iron oxide), which has loose texture to allow oxygen to go through, and therefore will lead to, instead of preventing, further rust.

If an oxide film is formed on the surface of iron (usually by treatment), the dense texture can prevent oxygen to go through and therefore seal the metal layer blow it in a safe, oxygen free environment. That's why metals are often treated to induce oxide film to prevent rust. Could that be the "fur" of the tetsubin? :D

Sep 5th, '10, 09:37

by nonc_ron » Sep 5th, '10, 09:37

gingkoseto wrote: it's very likely the regular rust (iron oxide)
I agree it's iron oxide and mineralization from the
other minerals in the water. All combining together to form a cement like compound.
It can easily be sandblasted out.
Then you can grow your own with your water and your tea.
Don't sand blast the outside it would destroy the patina. :D

Sep 5th, '10, 11:03

by jjanek » Sep 5th, '10, 11:03

Thanks a lot for replies.
Idea of "revitalizing" tetsubin and start building my own fur is interesting, but what exactly you mean by "sand blast"? I know about "industrial" process but do you know about some DIY version?
Janek

Sep 6th, '10, 01:37

by Oni » Sep 6th, '10, 01:37

I would read from www.Hojotea.com the description about the tetsubin, I own a new one, I see some small red dots, and some white dots on the inside, but I will probably become an old man before my tetsubin will form a fur. I remember reading about the tetsubin at the-leaf.org online tea magazine, they write about the old tetsubins and the "fur", I suggest reading these articles first so you get some basic knowledge about these kettles, the tetsubin is one of the traditional teawares to heat water, others are the clay kettle and the silver kettle, there should be a lot of emphasis put on the water quality and water heating, and the kettle, because they are the most important element in tea making, and they are often neglected, or replaced by modern low quality electric teaware, that will never produce the same results.

Sep 6th, '10, 11:16

by jjanek » Sep 6th, '10, 11:16

In fact, articles from Leaf made me interested in tetsubins and drove me to buy one. What is interesting, is reversed option about fur in old tetsubins from Hojotea (not good, because not "build" from your water) - but as they sell the new ones, is it possible that their opinion is biased?
Janek

Sep 6th, '10, 16:38

by Oni » Sep 6th, '10, 16:38

I used an old tetsubin at a teahouse, we even lit a fire and used it in a tea ceremony, but I am no expert in this type of teaware, the only thing I know that Hojo was right when he wrote that it is not good for every type of tea, I only bought it to my japanese teas, and chinese greens.

+ Post Reply