Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Feb 4th, '12, 16:34

Re: What Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Tobias » Feb 4th, '12, 16:34

Oolong or not, I'm having a Hadong balhyocha bought from Darjeeling.cz, it taste a lot like Yí Měi Rén, I think I will do a comparative brewing later.

Feb 4th, '12, 16:40

by debunix » Feb 4th, '12, 16:40

I need to work on a more photogenic corner for my teas and teawares......

Feb 4th, '12, 16:51

by debunix » Feb 4th, '12, 16:51

Tobias wrote:Oolong or not, I'm having a Hadong balhyocha bought from Darjeeling.cz, it taste a lot like Yí Měi Rén, I think I will do a comparative brewing later.
I think it fits better here than in discussions of green or black teas--the flavor profile of the two I've tried are so much more oolong-like, plummy/fruity, sweet, earthy, and with stamina for many more repeated infusions than most puerh.

Feb 6th, '12, 20:49

by MIKE_B » Feb 6th, '12, 20:49

3 Stamps old bush SX from The Mandarin's Tea Room.
10gs in a 100ml gaiwan. I am on my third infusion.
My limited tea tasting vocabulary would not do this tea justice. I will just say, "wow!"

Feb 7th, '12, 01:23

by debunix » Feb 7th, '12, 01:23

Po Tou, ginger flower dan cong from Tea Habitat, floral, spicy, fruity, lovely. More nice tea brewed in the cheapest of pots.

Feb 7th, '12, 08:05

by Kaja2737 » Feb 7th, '12, 08:05

Shi Zuo from Tea from Taiwan. First time drinking it, I have bought just a sample... and I like it :)

Feb 10th, '12, 18:05

by MIKE_B » Feb 10th, '12, 18:05

1st Generation Tree of Red Robe from The Best Tea House.
This premium DHP is a heavy hitter. I am 15 steeps in and this tea has more.
I like it.

Feb 14th, '12, 03:24

by Hannah » Feb 14th, '12, 03:24

MIKE_B wrote:1st Generation Tree of Red Robe from The Best Tea House.
I like it.
1st gen? :shock: Didn't even know that was available for sale!
Mind if I ask how much it was?

My 2009 DHP from seven cups just arrived, about to get into it!

Feb 14th, '12, 14:12

by wyardley » Feb 14th, '12, 14:12

waltersh wrote:
I like it.
It doesn't mean that it's from the original tree. I think the name is meant to imply that the tea is from first generation clones of the original tree. Whether or not that's true, the main point is that it's a better grade (and a fair bit greener) than their cheaper dahongpao.

I think about $130 US / 100g.

Feb 14th, '12, 14:51

by MIKE_B » Feb 14th, '12, 14:51

wyardley wrote:
waltersh wrote:
I like it.
It doesn't mean that it's from the original tree. I think the name is meant to imply that the tea is from first generation clones of the original tree. Whether or not that's true, the main point is that it's a better grade (and a fair bit greener) than their cheaper dahongpao.

I think about $130 US / 100g.
Yes, first generation clones...not original DHP. That would be a heck of a claim!
It is pretty green when brewed out. A nice dark color green.
It was $75 for 50g.

Feb 14th, '12, 15:09

by wyardley » Feb 14th, '12, 15:09

Also discussed here:
http://www.marshaln.com/2011/06/revisit ... dahongpao/

The one I tried was a sample from TokyoB, and was purchased a while back, if memory serves. It was quite good. Most of BTH's yancha have a distinctive taste and aftertaste (and made with high oxidation, balanced and well rested roast), but this one is different. Of course, it's not at all cheap, but the version I tried was nicer than a lot of yancha on the market.

I have some of a more recent batch but haven't tried it yet.

Feb 14th, '12, 22:34

by Tead Off » Feb 14th, '12, 22:34

wyardley wrote:Also discussed here:
http://www.marshaln.com/2011/06/revisit ... dahongpao/

The one I tried was a sample from TokyoB, and was purchased a while back, if memory serves. It was quite good. Most of BTH's yancha have a distinctive taste and aftertaste (and made with high oxidation, balanced and well rested roast), but this one is different. Of course, it's not at all cheap, but the version I tried was nicer than a lot of yancha on the market.

I have some of a more recent batch but haven't tried it yet.
I didn't care for the less expensive DHP from Best Tea when I was in Hong Kong last time. I also didn't see this more expensive one you mention. Maybe they were sold out. I found many of their teas quite middle of the road. This was in the Nathan St. store in TST. Maybe there is more selection in another store?

Feb 14th, '12, 23:02

by wyardley » Feb 14th, '12, 23:02

Tead Off wrote: I didn't care for the less expensive DHP from Best Tea when I was in Hong Kong last time. I also didn't see this more expensive one you mention. Maybe they were sold out. I found many of their teas quite middle of the road. This was in the Nathan St. store in TST. Maybe there is more selection in another store?
Which teas specifically did you find middle of the road?

I think this one comes a few different ways - smaller gift packaging (50 or 75g), as well as boxes with 100g bags (standard packaging). I believe I saw the smaller package in the Laichi branch when I was there last time; as far as the 100g packs, you might have to ask. Whether or not you like this particular one, I do think it's pretty different from any of their mid-grade yancha, most of which is around $50/100g. I have heard good things about the premium grade tieluohan and rougui from other forum members, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I did try the baijiguan recently, which is cheaper in HK than on the Canadian site; to me, it tastes very similar to their qianlixiang and some of the other yancha -- even though it's fairly oxidized and roasted, I don't think it seems to have the right color for baijiguan, but I could be wrong.

The small package is this one:
http://bestteaonline.com/store/catalog/ ... ucts_id=66
and if memory serves, there was some kind of gift box of the same tea.

A friend picked up the new batch for me (at the Laichi branch, I believe), and it's in a bright red colored box (apparently their new standard packaging), the same size and shape as their usual box for yancha / dancong.

I would say it's a fair criticism that many of their teas are "middle of the road", or, at least, that there are better teas at the same price point. There is definitely yancha I like more, but most of it is either more expensive, or harder to get. I like that their teas are consistent, and well balanced (i.e., not too much or too little fire). Especially some of their higher end Tieguanyin I really like for its balance. The teas have a healthy amount of oxidation, and aren't overly roasted (though from what I hear, they use electric, rather than charcoal, for roasting). The teas also hold up well over time - I had a qianlixiang which I bought in 07, and which was probably already a few years old. Revisiting it a few weeks ago, I noticed that the taste is pretty much the same (in a good way).

There are certain things I'd especially steer away from; fresh Taiwan oolongs is one obvious one. And, while many of them taste pretty good for the price, I would take some of the age descriptions on their pu'er blends with a healthy grain of salt.

In terms of price, usually there's some "give" there; if you're a member, you get a 20% discount, and they will bargain within reason if you're buying a lot of a tea. Now, because of the exchange rate, shipping, etc., buying via the Canada branch can be a little more expensive. Yes, there are better values out there, and better teas, but there are times where I really crave certain BTH oolongs, especially for everyday drinking. I like the 仙猴 (St. Monkey) and 泰斗功夫茶王 (Espresso Roast (not literal translation, but that's what they call it)) fairly well. If I want something a little heavier fire, I think the gongfu TGY at Lau Yu Fat is a little better.

Feb 14th, '12, 23:39

by Tead Off » Feb 14th, '12, 23:39

Best Tea Shop seems like a good commercial shop to find teas, 'commercial' being the key word. I didn't find anything I thought was fine or premium grade. Their prices are decent for HK.

The 2 best shops I've found for high end teas are Lock Cha on the stairs of Cat St. and the one just around the corner on Queen's Rd., I think the name is Ngan Ki Heung Tea Co. Both are expensive but carry good teas.

Feb 15th, '12, 17:50

by MIKE_B » Feb 15th, '12, 17:50

An afternoon with 1960s WuYi ShuiXian from The Mandarin's Tea Room.
I am learning that I really like aged oolongs. This one has that aged aroma without tasting like bitter medicine. Very clean.
About 7g in 100ml gaiwan. I could have gone stronger.

+ Post Reply