2009 Spring Oolongs - What have you tried?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 17th, '09, 12:08
Scrolling: scrolling

2009 Spring Oolongs - What have you tried?

by Victoria » May 17th, '09, 12:08

What's the scoop out there? I know a few of you have certainly beat me to the '09 harvest by now. The closest I've come is a Spring Darjeeling Oolong. Which was mighty fine, by the way, and I've reordered that one from Camellia Sinensis. (Darjeeling Gopaldhara Wt-1 1st flush 2009)

I have orders in with TeaMasters and Hou De. I may make it over to my local tea shop today, so far I have managed to stay away. I figure it will be an expensive trip. :)

So nothing yet for me, but I await with much anticipation your reviews!!

May 17th, '09, 13:16

by Tead Off » May 17th, '09, 13:16

I've had 3 Taiwan oolongs from teafromtaiwan.com All of them are organic and spring 2009. Zhong Shu Hu, Shan Ling Xi, and, Da Yu Ling. These are delicate and refined teas that are much different than you find in Anxi oolongs. There are subtleties and complexities in these teas that you only find in Taiwan oolongs. I particularly liked the Zhong Shu Hu. All have a fruity flavor with high notes of dried apple and low notes of cereal. Leaves a sweet, fresh flavor on your lips.

I had the Winter Da Yu Ling and Shan Ling Xi which I thought were deeper but I can't complain about the Spring crop although lighter on my palette. I'm just about to reorder and also try some of the Dong Ding and some others I haven't tried yet. Taiwan oolongs are unique.

May 17th, '09, 13:24

by Herb_Master » May 17th, '09, 13:24

I have not taken the plunge yet, I am sorely tempted to buy some from Dragpn Tea House, but keep wondering why he seems months ahead of everyone else with Anxi and Wuyi ?
Best wishes from Cheshire

May 17th, '09, 15:25

by Victoria » May 17th, '09, 15:25

I dunno Herb Master, but I have not had any from there that knocked my socks off. I'm sticking with my trusted vendors that have made it happen in the past.
And those are:
Hou De
TeaMasters
Floating Leaves Tea
Jing Tea Shop

May 17th, '09, 16:39

by Herb_Master » May 17th, '09, 16:39

Victoria wrote:I dunno Herb Master, but I have not had any from there that knocked my socks off. I'm sticking with my trusted vendors that have made it happen in the past.
And those are:
Hou De
TeaMasters
Floating Leaves Tea
Jing Tea Shop
I know what you mean, but the names alone of their 3 new (to me) Wuyi's are tempting me.

Bush Lily - Jun Zi Lan
Jade in Rock - Shi Zhong Yu
Tipsy Concubine - Zui Gui Fei

and the pictures look appealing

Jade In Rock
This tea is comprised of large black leaves. It looks quite typical for a Wuyi Oolong, light and fluffy, twisted as is normal. There is also a very prominent and heavy wuyi aroma to it. This is Zheng Yan Cha, which means that it is tea that grows in the heart of WuYi Mountain. It is the very region in northern Fujian province where oolong and black teas were first invented. Shi Zhong Yu is a medium roasted oolong tea that the taste has a pleasant bitterness and a sweet floral aftertaste. The tea exhibited a amber liquor, yet it was very clear. The steepings had a very fruity flavor, but yet was smooth and mellow. The aroma is rich and sweet. The flavor is light and crisp, it has a very clean feeling to it. The flavor is mostly in the early portion and finishes a light sense of astringency. The rare ancient oolong provides an exquisite of the more traditional, darker style of oolong.

Tipsy Concubine
The shape of Zui Gui Fei is dense and thick, neat and smooth. The tea liquid is fantastically clear. The leaves are thick, tender and bright. When put in water, they appear green with red lace along the leaf edges. The tea makes highly transparent, light amber, glistening infusion. The honey-colored liquor yields a delicious assortment of dried fruit flavors. As it is slightly roasted, it's got a very complex and unique flavor and aroma, very sweet with light smoked flavors and floral orange tones.

Bush Lily
Jun Zi Lan is is a toasted oolong tea from the farmed mountainous Wu Yi Shan region of Fujian, China. It was originally found only in the steep, difficult-to-reach cliffs of Jiulongke in the Wuyi Mountains in the northwestern part of Fujian province. Jun Zi Lan has a unique rock-like taste and causes a tranquil, refreshing effect. It also contains some phenol elements that have a mysterious health-care function, and is grown organically and processed by traditional means.

It is known for its noble quality and unique color, fragrance and taste. This year's Jun Zi Lan has a complex, lasting, toasted finish with licorice notes. It has dark red leaves, curled and twisted carefully by hand, with purple-red stripe and vein. Incredibly flavourful tea from the stems of the tea plants among the rocks in Wuyi Mountain. This excellent tea has sweet-osmanthus fragrance, smooth, yet so mellow after-taste, and can stand brewing 7 --8 times, with delivering a golden yellow liquid. This rare oolong will continue to improve in flavor for a couple of years after picking, a very interesting and enjoyable tea for oolong connoisseurs. It is recommended to brew it in a purple-clay teapot with good natural spring water.

May 17th, '09, 16:50

by orguz » May 17th, '09, 16:50

For anyone interested in a traditional Chaozhou Gong Fu style high fired TGY I would like to suggest LAU YU FAT http://www.teahouse.com.hk/main.htm especially for those fond of brewing it nice and strong using a smaller pot.

It is a pain to navigate their chinese pages, because the English version doesn't list the tea selection, their 'kung fu cha wong' (top left) found in the 'kung fu tea' selection is excellent, accompanied with a nice long aftertaste. The tea has been drunk daily for a good month and nothing negative can be said about it.

May 17th, '09, 17:07

by Herb_Master » May 17th, '09, 17:07

orguz wrote:For anyone interested in a traditional Chaozhou Gong Fu style high fired TGY I would like to suggest LAU YU FAT http://www.teahouse.com.hk/main.htm especially for those fond of brewing it nice and strong using a smaller pot.

It is a pain to navigate their chinese pages, because the English version doesn't list the tea selection, their 'kung fu cha wong' (top left) found in the 'kung fu tea' selection is excellent, accompanied with a nice long aftertaste. The tea has been drunk daily for a good month and nothing negative can be said about it.
I am interested, my Chao Zhou kettle and stove from Tea Habitat should arrive within a week.

I see the English Products page says "Coming Soon" - I shall have to keep one eye open - the one that is not already keeping an eye on WanLing UK and RichBarbarian

May 18th, '09, 00:25

by Tead Off » May 18th, '09, 00:25

If anyone knows any sources of ORGANIC Oolongs, please post them, especially in China and Taiwan as I live in Asia.

TeafromTaiwan
Jing Tea Shop

Both seem on top of this scene and don't carry what the other specializes in. Prices are also not too steep, pardon the pun.

May 21st, '09, 07:31

by Herb_Master » May 21st, '09, 07:31

Have your orders arrived yet Victoria?

I see that Tea Habitat has a new batch of Dan Congs with some great sounding additions to the ones she has stocked over the last 2 years.

In Tea Obsession, I see that a great gathering has sampled many of them, I wonder if any TeaChat members were present and can give us a glimpse of their experience.
Best wishes from Cheshire

May 21st, '09, 08:08

by Victoria » May 21st, '09, 08:08

I just got my Hou De order last night,
I'll be test driving later this afternoon.
:)

May 21st, '09, 10:24
Vendor Member

by TIM » May 21st, '09, 10:24

orguz wrote:For anyone interested in a traditional Chaozhou Gong Fu style high fired TGY I would like to suggest LAU YU FAT http://www.teahouse.com.hk/main.htm especially for those fond of brewing it nice and strong using a smaller pot.

If you like the traditional Chaozhou Style TGY, I would try TG classic. http://www.theteagallery.com/Iron_Bodhi ... of-cib.htm
for comparison. LYF is a good daily high fire, and I did enjoyed it. Thanks to Will kindness samples :D

May 21st, '09, 11:16

by TokyoB » May 21st, '09, 11:16

Tead Off wrote:If anyone knows any sources of ORGANIC Oolongs, please post them, especially in China and Taiwan as I live in Asia.

TeafromTaiwan
Jing Tea Shop

Both seem on top of this scene and don't carry what the other specializes in. Prices are also not too steep, pardon the pun.
Jing Tea in the UK has a few organic oolongs (and several organic greens). I don't think they've put up any spring oolongs yet though, just greens.

http://jingtea.com/tea/oolong-tea

May 24th, '09, 17:50

by tacobell » May 24th, '09, 17:50

Gordon at Dragon Tea Shop has the Spring TKY. I just got mine, not tasted as of yet. He is actually recommending last year's Fall harvest

May 24th, '09, 18:25

by Victoria » May 24th, '09, 18:25

I have now had 3 - One from Hou De and two so far from Tea Masters, with several to go.

Hou De 2009 Spring A-Li-Shan "Shui Xian", Hand-Harvested
Good but just ok

Luanze Oolong from TeaMasters
Shan Lin Shi @ 1650 meters - April 10th '09
Better than Hou De, but , but still jut good.

Spring 2009 Subtropical Forest Baozhong from Tea Masters
Best of the three by far. Living up close to the hype of last year's crop,
I'm really digging this one.

May 24th, '09, 18:37

by Herb_Master » May 24th, '09, 18:37

Victoria wrote:I have now had 3 - One from Hou De and two so far from Tea Masters, with several to go.

Hou De 2009 Spring A-Li-Shan "Shui Xian", Hand-Harvested
Good but just ok

Luanze Oolong from TeaMasters
Shan Lin Shi @ 1650 meters - April 10th '09
Better than Hou De, but , but still jut good.

Spring 2009 Subtropical Forest Baozhong from Tea Masters
Best of the three by far. Living up close to the hype of last year's crop,
I'm really digging this one.

I am still fully occupied exploring mainland Oolong, I have been putting Taiwan off until much further down the line . . . .

But

you are tempting me with this one, sorely tempting me!

+ Post Reply