Mar 5th, '20, 11:26

Qing Shui Ni and Qing Hui Ni

by sporad » Mar 5th, '20, 11:26

I am confused..
Is Qing Shui Ni the same thing as Qing Hui Ni?
Could somebody please explain?

Mar 5th, '20, 22:16

Re: Qing Shui Ni and Qing Hui Ni

by FBee » Mar 5th, '20, 22:16

sporad wrote: I am confused..
One is light brown, one is grey. One is still available, one is extinct in its original form.

Mar 7th, '20, 04:33

by sporad » Mar 7th, '20, 04:33

FBee wrote:
One is light brown, one is grey. One is still available, one is extinct in its original form.
Hi FBee. What do you mean by "extinct in its original form"?

I came across a beautiful red pot labeled as Qing Shui Ni. Would that be the "brown" kind you mention but fired at a low temperature?

Mar 7th, '20, 07:53

by FBee » Mar 7th, '20, 07:53

sporad wrote:
FBee wrote:

I came across a beautiful red pot labeled as Qing Shui Ni. Would that be the "brown" kind you mention but fired at a low temperature?
Means there used to be a grey clay called QHN but it is extinct since old times. QSN is light brown in colour, firing has nothing to do with it.

Mar 7th, '20, 08:25

by sporad » Mar 7th, '20, 08:25

FBee wrote:
sporad wrote:
FBee wrote:

Means there used to be a grey clay called QHN but it is extinct since old times. QSN is light brown in colour, firing has nothing to do with it.
Mud and Leaves sells QHN pots
https://www.mudandleaves.com/store/p487 ... 130ml.html

and has posted about it:
https://www.mudandleaves.com/teatime-bl ... -qinghuini

So according to you, this would be a fake pot and false information?

Also, continuing to google around I just came across this article written by Daniel Liu: https://thechineseteashop.com/pages/how ... ese-teapot

I quote (from the section about clay composition):
"There are 3 basic compositions of clays which are often mixed together in an infinite variety of combinations.

Zisha Clay. (Also called “Qing Shui Ni” when not mixed or coloured).
Mixed (Pingni). Can be any combination of Yixing, non-Yixing and artificial clays
Artificial (Coloured clay). May also be used in mixed clay."

So he is also wrong?

Mar 8th, '20, 21:58

by FBee » Mar 8th, '20, 21:58

Not fake. QHN does still exist, but it’s not a pure ore like it used to be in old times. It has been a popular clay back in Qing period, but it’s rare.

Clays are confusing as people use different definitions of what is what and different references... back before factory 1 everything was just Zisha...

I can’t comment on Lui’s statement. All I know is that QSN is always light brown, never purple.

Mar 9th, '20, 23:29

by pacphobia » Mar 9th, '20, 23:29

Found an old clay teapot in an antique store. I was looking for a netipot thing when found this cute teapot. Any idea what kind of clay used in this? Maybe a yixing clay? :lol:
Attachments
teapot-3.jpg
teapot-2.jpg
teapot-1.jpg

Mar 9th, '20, 23:39

by pacphobia » Mar 9th, '20, 23:39

Found an old clay teapot.

Mar 10th, '20, 20:10

by sporad » Mar 10th, '20, 20:10

FBee wrote: Not fake. QHN does still exist, but it’s not a pure ore like it used to be in old times. It has been a popular clay back in Qing period, but it’s rare.

Clays are confusing as people use different definitions of what is what and different references... back before factory 1 everything was just Zisha...

I can’t comment on Lui’s statement. All I know is that QSN is always light brown, never purple.
So I've kept googling about this and came across this, which clarifies things:
https://www.teapotandtea.com/yixing-zisha-clay-zini/

QING HUI NI (青灰泥)

Among non Chinese speakers, Qing Hui Ni (青灰泥) could be confused with Qing Shui Ni (清水泥), but they are totally different. The first is an actual Zisha ore while the latter isn’t.

Qinghuini was common and popular during the late Ming and early Qing Dynasty. In the modern times however it’s often a forgotten type of Zini. It is also called Shayupini 鲨鱼皮泥 or Shark Skin Clay, due to how the surface of the teapot feels to the touch, after firing.

As most Yixing Zisha, it originally comes from Huanglongshan. Compared to other Zini it contains more sand like particles.

After firing it has a grayish-brown color and has the following attributes:

Shrinkage Rate: 6%
Firing Temperature: 1180°C — 1220°C
Porosity: It is more porous than Zhuni, but less than Duanni, similar to other kinds of Zini.

Qinghuini, is also quite versatile and so can be used with any kinds of tea. It is worth noting, that a new Zini teapot at the beginning could be more muting, but with seasoning and time it’ll adopt to the tea you use it with.

I’d recommend Qinghuini for people who want to experience what teapots during the Ming and Qing dynasties have been. I’d also advise to get a teapot with a more classic, traditional shape, to go along with the feeling.

QING SHUI NI (清水泥)

Qingshuini is one of the most loosely defined “clay” among Yixing Zisha, and one which can cause a lot of confusion. The reason being, that Qingshuini is not an actual Zisha ore, but it’s a phrase which potters used during the factory era to refer to clay, which has not been altered. Meaning that after crushing the ore no other materials, chemicals or coloring oxides were added to the clay, so it’s pure Zini. Qing Shui (清水) means Clear, Water, which explains the meaning, that the Ni (泥/Mud, Clay) was clear, pure, unadulterated Zini.

Because most Qingshuini Zini teapots during the Factory era were light brown in color, people started to use the word to refer to teapots with similar texture and color to those Factory 1 teapots. This is what created the confusion that exists today. So if you see Qingshuini mentioned in case of a modern teapot, then be wary, because it doesn’t tell anything about what the teapot is made of, only what it tries to be.

+ Post Reply