Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


Nov 24th, '17, 08:30
Posts: 529
Joined: Feb 17th, '13, 12:34
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Official Pu of the day

by mr mopu » Nov 24th, '17, 08:30

PuerhCollector wrote: Today I decided to brew up the 2000 Xia Guan toucha that I had unpacked over the weekend. The smoke and strong bitterness from memory has dissipated greatly. The familiar Xia Guan signature of woodsy citrus and floral is recognizable but with a darker complexion. Old style puerh tea that packed quite a punch in its early day, now showing signs of mellowing out and becoming smoother.
Lucky rascal! Enjoy!

User avatar
Nov 21st, '17, 08:40
Posts: 56
Joined: Jan 26th, '15, 10:01
Location: Thailand

Re: Official Pu of the day

by PuerhCollector » Nov 21st, '17, 08:40

Today I decided to brew up the 2000 Xia Guan toucha that I had unpacked over the weekend. The smoke and strong bitterness from memory has dissipated greatly. The familiar Xia Guan signature of woodsy citrus and floral is recognizable but with a darker complexion. Old style puerh tea that packed quite a punch in its early day, now showing signs of mellowing out and becoming smoother.
Attachments
sm2000 XG2.jpg
sm2000 XG2.jpg (58.01 KiB) Viewed 10565 times
sm2000 XG1.jpg
sm2000 XG1.jpg (35.03 KiB) Viewed 10565 times

User avatar
Nov 13th, '17, 04:51
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Nov 13th, '17, 04:51

Nate_L wrote:
jayinhk wrote: Bought the following Dayi teas today:

2017 7542 (one tong)
2017 7572 (one tong)
2017 Golden Needle White Lotus (one tong)
2017 V93 tuos (50)
2016 8582 (one tong)
2014 Star Of Menghai (one tong)
Very jealous! let me know how those new V93’s are. I have a few from 2015 that I enjoy a lot.
Will do! I have a few V93s from 2015 (I think) that I am waiting to drink. I feel they need several years of storage to really come into their own. Same with the 2017s...I won't sample them until 2020 or maybe 2022, depending on how they smell!

EDIT: Not 2015s--I have 2010s that smell quite good right now! They may be ready to drink. They have only been down in Hong Kong since 2015 or so; prior to that they were in cryostorage at a large, climate controlled warehouse in Yunnan. Dayi's own storage prevents aging, aside from when they age tea just a little before pressing.

EDIT: It appears I have some 2015s too that are smelling sweet, but I think they need another year to get to where I want them. I'll give them another try this time next year!

Nov 12th, '17, 22:27
Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 20th, '17, 23:32

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Nate_L » Nov 12th, '17, 22:27

Ripe puerh today, 2015 Hui Run by YS. Really complex, one of my favorite “premium” ripe teas . Unique dark cherry notes along with some dark chocolate and oatmeal flavors. Great mouthfeel and thickness. Wonderful tea.

Nov 12th, '17, 22:24
Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 20th, '17, 23:32

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Nate_L » Nov 12th, '17, 22:24

jayinhk wrote: Bought the following Dayi teas today:

2017 7542 (one tong)
2017 7572 (one tong)
2017 Golden Needle White Lotus (one tong)
2017 V93 tuos (50)
2016 8582 (one tong)
2014 Star Of Menghai (one tong)
Very jealous! let me know how those new V93’s are. I have a few from 2015 that I enjoy a lot.

User avatar
Nov 11th, '17, 10:24
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Nov 11th, '17, 10:24

Bought the following Dayi teas today:

2017 7542 (one tong)
2017 7572 (one tong)
2017 Golden Needle White Lotus (one tong)
2017 V93 tuos (50)
2016 8582 (one tong)
2014 Star Of Menghai (one tong)

User avatar
Nov 10th, '17, 10:21
Posts: 103
Joined: May 25th, '10, 13:52
Location: Rhode Island
Contact: the_skua

Re: Official Pu of the day

by the_skua » Nov 10th, '17, 10:21

Multi-day session of 2007 Xi Zhi Hao 8582. This tea has really darkened in the past couple years. There's more sourness than I remember, but the overall feeling is very calming and damp. Bitterness has really pulled back and it's starting to be a nicely aged tea.

Nov 10th, '17, 09:07
Posts: 16
Joined: Oct 20th, '17, 04:17
Location: Guangzhou
Contact: philiplee

Re: Official Pu of the day

by philiplee » Nov 10th, '17, 09:07

2007 Yiwu Gaoshan - don't be fooled by the wrapper. It was the tea that got me started and the heavy bitterness (for Yiwu anyway) has now faded and the taste is just truly amazing. The journey has been just as good as the current taste... looking forward to another 10 years of Puer tasting.

my blog link with more info about my journey with this tea:
https://www.yiwumountaintea.com/blog/le ... -with-puer

Nov 9th, '17, 16:29
Posts: 5
Joined: Sep 20th, '17, 23:32

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Nate_L » Nov 9th, '17, 16:29

2 sessions today. Morning session of 2010 Xiaguan Xiao Fa ripe. Solid morning tea that gets me going. Just now finished up my evening session of yet another xiaguan tea, the 2012 88 round cake raw puerh. I bought a pair of these from YS with intentionsof Aging them. Brewing up a golden color. Some smokiness but not nearly as harsh as some of xiaguans other productions. Coming along nicely, I see this being great in a few years of continued humid storage.

User avatar
Oct 15th, '17, 13:16
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Oct 15th, '17, 13:16

Drinking aged cha tou from a dealer in Kunming! Cha tou are compressed nuggets of shou pu that form at the bottom of the pile during fermentation. I really love cha tou because they have great longevity and often develop very interesting warm and sweet flavors with age. These cha tou have developed a freshly baked bread aroma in the last year of storage here in Hong Kong, as well as an unexpected natural almond character that I really like! The tea is perhaps less sweet smelling than it was when first purchased, but there is still a lot of sweetness there, along with the baked bread and almonds!
I started this tea last night, drank several infusions today, and I think the leaves have enough oomph to get me through tomorrow as well!

User avatar
Sep 28th, '17, 05:21
Posts: 495
Joined: Jul 17th, '14, 05:38
Location: UK

Re: Official Pu of the day

by Rui » Sep 28th, '17, 05:21

At the moment I am sipping Spring 2014 Pa Sai from Farmerleaf. A very pleasant and sweetish sheng for those who no longer look for heavy bitterness in their shengs.

User avatar
Sep 25th, '17, 22:55
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Sep 25th, '17, 22:55

Drinking a 2004 Dayi 7542--HK dry storage. This is a cake from a dealer who specializes in traditional storage. The family's tea isn't labeled; you have to interact with them to figure out what they have and she surprised me several months ago by offering me a dry storage cake that smelled like her traditional storage. I eventually bought some and found the cake and the storage to be much cleaner than I expected.

I'm revisiting the cake after several months and it tastes even cleaner than before with citrus/black tea notes my own storage would eke out of 7542. This is really a lovely tea and couldn't be more perfect to wake up to today!

I just added this tea to the site if anyone would like to try it. :)

Sep 25th, '17, 12:10
Posts: 104
Joined: Dec 15th, '09, 21:03
Location: at the bottom of a cuppa

Re: Official Pu of the day

by whatsinaname » Sep 25th, '17, 12:10

Finished a Douji Nannuo minibrick.
Next will chip up this Xiaguan tuo.

Looking forward to sampling some tea from the new pumidor setup. Sure smells good in there!

User avatar
Sep 25th, '17, 11:38
Posts: 113
Joined: Jul 29th, '11, 10:48
Location: Singapore, Malaysia

Re: Official Pu of the day

by HifideliTea » Sep 25th, '17, 11:38

In another post on Miscellaneous "Re: Aged Green Tea...drink or throw?", my wife also found a small container of puerh that she brewed, and it was just heavenly, heavier viscosity than water, mouthful of strong huigan, very subtle musk and bitter sweet presence and obviously an aged tea.
She looked at the description at the bottom of the small container and it was 1972 Golden Needle White Lotus from Sunsing Tea.

User avatar
Sep 25th, '17, 06:08
Vendor Member
Posts: 3124
Joined: Aug 28th, '12, 08:12
Location: Hong Kong
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact: jayinhk

Re: Official Pu of the day

by jayinhk » Sep 25th, '17, 06:08

Frisbeehead wrote: Drinking the Spring 2015 Daqing Gushu from Yunnan Sourcing. Bought this cake last year, haven't cut into this cake too much yet. Every time I've had it I've enjoyed it - light, aromatic, floral, nice body, a little sweet, with a bit of astringency. Aftertaste lingers in the mouth quite a bit, not so much in the throat. I wonder if this would be a good one to keep in the pumidor to age. It is a bit light, and it's definitely enjoyable to drink now, but I'd like to see how it ages. Instead of buying another one to age, I'll probably just refrain from drinking it too often and keep it in the pumidor. But we'll see, still in the process of figuring out the inside of my pumidor in terms of what to keep in there for long-term, what new cakes I want to add, etc.

Jay, as soon as I have the money my next purchase will still be that 03-05 7542 you have on your site. :D Traveled too much recently and that's led to a cut in my tea purchases, but hoping to fix that soon. Itching to try some new stuff.
Thanks! I have quite a few more 7542s going up, some of which I like more than the 03-05! :!:

+ Post Reply