Apr 13th, '09, 10:08

by Tead Off » Apr 13th, '09, 10:08

Topmounter wrote:I did end up getting a response from Hojo with the PDF price list.... not sure if this was mentioned, but his stuff is all built-to-order.
I asked Hojo if he stocked all the tetsubin. He answered that it depends on what I was interested in and that stock was kept in his Malaysian store and could be shipped from there if I picked something they had. His website is cyber based, not shop based. The prices on his website are completely different than the store. Way, way, less than the prices in KL. I was rather shocked at the difference. However, if you compare his prices for Kunzan tetsubin with Artistic Nippon, they may be a tad higher but nothing unreasonable.

Artistic Nippon is mostly built to order, too.

Apr 13th, '09, 10:16

by MarshalN » Apr 13th, '09, 10:16

Tead Off wrote:The prices on his website are completely different than the store. Way, way, less than the prices in KL. I was rather shocked at the difference. However, if you compare his prices for Kunzan tetsubin with Artistic Nippon, they may be a tad higher but nothing unreasonable.
Maybe this is one reason why he wants the prices to be off-site and by request only -- he doesn't want any random Malaysian customer to wander to his website and find that everything can be bought for a lot less than the store.

Apr 13th, '09, 10:23
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 13th, '09, 10:23

Tead Off wrote:
Topmounter wrote:I did end up getting a response from Hojo with the PDF price list.... not sure if this was mentioned, but his stuff is all built-to-order.
I asked Hojo if he stocked all the tetsubin. He answered that it depends on what I was interested in and that stock was kept in his Malaysian store and could be shipped from there if I picked something they had. His website is cyber based, not shop based. The prices on his website are completely different than the store. Way, way, less than the prices in KL. I was rather shocked at the difference. However, if you compare his prices for Kunzan tetsubin with Artistic Nippon, they may be a tad higher but nothing unreasonable.

Teadoff - Is "built-to-order" means ordering the standard item from manufacturers, for example: Suzuki Morihisa, every time Hojo got an order. Or Suzuki Morihisa will custom made every order for Hojo to their specification? Coz if it is the later case, I will assume the prize could be triple or even more?

Apr 13th, '09, 10:39

by Tead Off » Apr 13th, '09, 10:39

TIM wrote:
Tead Off wrote:

Teadoff - Is "built-to-order" means ordering the standard item from manufacturers, for example: Suzuki Morihisa, every time Hojo got an order. Or Suzuki Morihisa will custom made every order for Hojo to their specification? Coz if it is the later case, I will assume the prize could be triple or even more?
I believe Suzuki's pots are all one-offs. This is the highest quality tetsubin when only 1 pot is made from the mold.

All others, I believe, are made like the model you are choosing on the website, not custom built to your specs, although you might be able to get them to do it.

In response to Marshall, I think it is the rationale of web based businesses to offer lower prices because there is not the same overhead involved as havingn a retail store and his retail store is in a very exclusive mall. The rent ain't cheap.

I have no problem with Hojo or his price list. I believe his intentions are good.

+ Post Reply