Apr 5th, '09, 14:25

Re: Slightly off topic...

by wyardley » Apr 5th, '09, 14:25

MiaAzayzel wrote: I want to know if one can heat a cast iron tea pot on a traditional modern stove top without damaging it.
Do you have a gas stove or electric? An *unlined* tetsubin should be fine on an electric stove, and I imagine should also be Ok on a gas stove.

If you're just looking for a fairly traditional (non-modern) looking stovetop kettle, you could also consider the Simplex kettles, such as:
http://www.amazon.com/Simplex-Heritage- ... B0001V01WK (they have a model just for gas stoves that boils extra-fast).

Apr 5th, '09, 16:39

by MiaAzayzel » Apr 5th, '09, 16:39

okay...i think I've figured out what I'm going to do now. thanks to everyone who responded, I've learned a lot more than I expected to from this question. :D
Someone shot the alphabet.

Apr 5th, '09, 16:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 5th, '09, 16:52

MiaAzayzel wrote:okay...i think I've figured out what I'm going to do now. thanks to everyone who responded, I've learned a lot more than I expected to from this question. :D
Glad to hear that, which was my intent ... :D

Apr 19th, '09, 00:36

by trent » Apr 19th, '09, 00:36

TIM wrote: Image
You can see from the pic. the amount of charcoal are 4 small pieces. And should use the highest quality "White Charcoal" if possible, odorless, and burnt really hot and slow. Ventilation and good air flow is important.
How exactly do you light the charcoal? I tried and failed while using my makeshift flower pot brazier.

Apr 19th, '09, 11:15
Vendor Member

by TIM » Apr 19th, '09, 11:15

trent- I use 2 different kind of charcoal. A Korean oak charcoal, which is much cheaper to start the fire and add japanese white charcoal over it later. Using a couple start up from burning over stove top and start piling ontop of the lit ones in a charcoal brazier.

Using the right charcoal is very important, the rate of burning and the heat is very different comparing to reg. BBQ charcoal.

+ Post Reply