Chill Sheng

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 6th, '09, 18:24

Chill Sheng

by Art Vandelay » May 6th, '09, 18:24

Recently I tried a sample of Menghai BuLang Jing Pin from Houde and was pleasantly surprised. The first 4-5 infusions completely numbed the back-roof of my mouth on contact and soon after had me totally relaxed. I felt as though I was drinking muscle relaxer or tranquilizer as my whole body and mind was put in this “chill” state.

I hesitate from labeling this chaqi as most of what I have read describes it as relaxing your body while sharpening your mind, or being in a very clear state. This was slightly different as my mind was just as chill as my body. I believe I have experienced qi with some of my other cakes, but never to this extent.

To be sure this wasn’t a fluke I tried it again a couple days later and sure enough got the same experience, only it occurred in later infusions.

My question is, can anyone recommend a cake that gave them a similar experience? I am looking for more sheng I can drink in the evening that will relax me without the jolt of caffeine (plus Houde is sold out of Jing Pin).

Thanks in advance.

May 6th, '09, 19:04

by shogun89 » May 6th, '09, 19:04

Yeah, its seems that you got the chaqi. It is much more common in aged cakes, but young can have it to, but in a different sense. I have felt a calming effect with my Bai Cha Tang cake. Not as relaxing as you describe but, you can feel something. Take this with a grain of salt though, as I am defiantly no chaqi expert.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bai-Cha-Tang-7th-Ge ... 1|294%3A30

May 6th, '09, 23:56

by tea soho » May 6th, '09, 23:56

Glad to hear that you descripe the Chaqi. Normally i will get very strong Chaqi from the Puer trees, uncooked puer. For drinking this year's Yiwu Maocha, each minority villages' tree Maocha has different aromas, but all in common, they are all very sweet, flowery, and fresh.

For me, the Chaqi refers to after drinking the tea, the aroma, sweetness maintain a long time in your month. When you breath, the aroma will change a little different, which requires you to feel the subtle changes. [/url][/code]

May 7th, '09, 13:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by Dizzwave » May 7th, '09, 13:12

Cool story!
The tea that most gives me the "chill" feeling is a shu -- but that's probably because I haven't had tons of aged sheng. I'm talking about the 2003 Songpin Imperial (from puerhshop.com). I know that some others who've tried it were not big fans, but it's one of my personal faves for nighttime.
PM me if you (or anyone) would like a sample before you go out and buy a whole cake. :)
-dave

May 7th, '09, 14:57

by shogun89 » May 7th, '09, 14:57

Dizzwave wrote:Cool story!
The tea that most gives me the "chill" feeling is a shu -- but that's probably because I haven't had tons of aged sheng. I'm talking about the 2003 Songpin Imperial (from puerhshop.com). I know that some others who've tried it were not big fans, but it's one of my personal faves for nighttime.
PM me if you (or anyone) would like a sample before you go out and buy a whole cake. :)
-dave
That is an excellent shou.

May 7th, '09, 21:34

by Art Vandelay » May 7th, '09, 21:34

Thanks for the responses. I will keep the Songpin in mind although I am partial to sheng.

I must add the Bai Cha Tang to my list, it looks interesting. I also have yet to order anything from Dragon Tea House but have been looking for an excuse to do so, maybe I'll add the Gouyan Lao Ban Zhang. I understand that people have different experiences with pu's but I would much rather seek suggestions than take a shot in the dark.

May 7th, '09, 21:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 7th, '09, 21:39

Bosco anyone? :wink:

+ Post Reply