Malty Flavor

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

May 14th, '09, 03:18

by Beidao » May 14th, '09, 03:18

As a true "teatotaller", I'd say: "Just smell it, and if you happen to take a sip, spit it out quickly" :wink:

May 15th, '09, 08:03

by teanoob » May 15th, '09, 08:03

I could never understand the fascination with beer, it's bitter and tastes like some lousy cough syrup my mom used to give me when i was little.

Beer drinkers tell me that I need to keep at it till i "acquire" a taste for it but i just don't see the point.

May 15th, '09, 12:43

by entropyembrace » May 15th, '09, 12:43

First time I had beer it was a cheap mass produced brand (kokanie) and I thought it was gross...second time I had beer I was served a really nice one...tasted like and gave me the feeling of fresh bread right out of the oven...delicious! I don't know what brand it was though.

I think the people who acquire a taste to cheap beer just kill their senses and drink it for the alcohol. :roll:

But there is good beer out there...

I don't really care enough to go find it again though, not a fan of the effects of alcohol beyond that first drink.

May 15th, '09, 14:49
Scrolling: scrolling

by bsteele » May 15th, '09, 14:49

teanoob wrote:I could never understand the fascination with beer, it's bitter and tastes like some lousy cough syrup my mom used to give me when i was little.

Beer drinkers tell me that I need to keep at it till i "acquire" a taste for it but i just don't see the point.
That's like saying all tea is gross, bland, and bitter based on an experience with a cup of Lipton tea :)

May 15th, '09, 15:10

by scruffmcgruff » May 15th, '09, 15:10

bsteele wrote:That's like saying all tea is gross, bland, and bitter based on an experience with a cup of Lipton tea :)
Or even a really nice puerh that you just aren't accustomed to!
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

May 15th, '09, 16:35

by Dresden » May 15th, '09, 16:35

I was never a fan of beer...

Maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time getting a handle on assam. There's just something that doesn't sit well...

If only there was an assam that tasted like single barrel Jack Daniels :wink:

May 15th, '09, 19:03

by hooksie » May 15th, '09, 19:03

Dresden wrote:I was never a fan of beer...

Maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time getting a handle on assam. There's just something that doesn't sit well...

If only there was an assam that tasted like single barrel Jack Daniels :wink:
There's one for the suggestions forum.
We were fated to pretend.

May 15th, '09, 23:46

by sneakers » May 15th, '09, 23:46

Beidao wrote:. We had a long discussion here about the word "vegetal" some months ago.
Vegetal-- tasting like a green vegetable, like chlorophyll. Oolong and green. No mystery

May 16th, '09, 11:02

by Beidao » May 16th, '09, 11:02

sneakers wrote:
Beidao wrote:. We had a long discussion here about the word "vegetal" some months ago.
Vegetal-- tasting like a green vegetable, like chlorophyll. Oolong and green. No mystery
Well, it was a big mystery to some people, as shown in that discussion. Peronally the things I've had the hardest time understanding was mineral taste and astringency.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 17th, '09, 05:26

by teanoob » May 17th, '09, 05:26

bsteele wrote:
teanoob wrote:I could never understand the fascination with beer, it's bitter and tastes like some lousy cough syrup my mom used to give me when i was little.

That's like saying all tea is gross, bland, and bitter based on an experience with a cup of Lipton tea :)
Then how about some suggestions on good beer? :)

May 17th, '09, 10:49

by brad4419 » May 17th, '09, 10:49

teanoob wrote:
bsteele wrote:

teanoob I agree with you 100% I have never liked beer(drank it anyways before :D ). Some people will have just 1 beer with there meal and it makes me think why don't you drink something that tastes good instead :?: I guess theres no reason to argue about taste :roll:

I have heard a lot of people say Blue Moon is good and I think its sold about everywhere but I haven't tryed it so take that for what its worth.

May 17th, '09, 21:51
Scrolling: fixed

"Beer, the mother of us all"

by Intuit » May 17th, '09, 21:51

Handcrafted beer is to loose-leaf estate tea as common swill is to stale teabags.

Plain and simple, if you haven't tried quality microbrew, you haven't had REAL beer.

A real beaut to try if you live way out West: New Belgium Triple

I would encourage those interested to join a microbrew discussion group or visit a website dedicated to quality handcrafted beer recommendations.

May 17th, '09, 22:46

by Herb_Master » May 17th, '09, 22:46

There is no single beer that can give you the idea of malt as one homogenous flavour you have to try them all in order to locate the common denominator.

Progressive heat treatment of malted barley develops distinctive flavours, colours and textures optimised by controlled kilning, caramelisation and roasting.

http://www.puremalt.com/

But they may be willing to send you samples
To obtain further information or samples
please tick appropriate box and if possible
give details of potential application.
:wink: :lol: :wink:

May 19th, '09, 15:53

by spot52 » May 19th, '09, 15:53

I like boddingtons...it is considered to be creamy, I guess thats what this pic is all about

But it can be a touch bitter. I love it though.

May 20th, '09, 00:35

by bsteele » May 20th, '09, 00:35

teanoob wrote:
I'd recommend starting out with a wheat beer/hefeweiss. They can be sweet, refreshing, and easy drinking.

One of the BEST hefe's I've had, hands down: Weinstephaner (see http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/weihenstep ... bier/1156/ ) Has awesome clove and citrus notes. Also, two solid wheat beers you can find anywhere: Blue Moon and Hoegaarden.

Guinness is overrated. I mean... just throwing that out there. Try it once and forget about it.

I'm a sucker for Trappist ales. Must haves: St bernardus abt 12 and Rochefort Trappistes 10... plus a dozen other that I won't list :)

I'll be honest, strong malty and hoppy tastes do take a while to get used to. The funny thing about some really hoppy beers I've been drinking as of late: I finally realized that the bitterness is SO similar to a grapefruit bitterness. It's just interesting how a palate get's refined over time to categorize different tastes...

This really wasn't that grand of a recommendation list... just some ramblings. But the moral of it all: yes, beer is an acquired taste. But not only is "liking" it acquired, but gaining an experienced palate that can appreciate different flavors.

As a side, somewhat related example, drinking tea without sugar took me some getting used to... now I can't imagine tainting most my teas with it. A few months ago, I probably would be gagging on some of my favorite teas now :lol:

+ Post Reply