Oolongs as a gift

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 17th, '09, 02:51

Oolongs as a gift

by entropyembrace » Jun 17th, '09, 02:51

I'm thinking of making a little gift to my gf, she's new to loose leaf tea but she has great tastes, her favourites so far are single bush milan dancong and darjeelings. Anyway...I want to introduce her to more oolongs and give her a few that are easy to brew for her to drink at home :D

I was checking out Floating Leaves Tea today because they're located in Seattle (low shipping in North America!) and I know a few teachatter's really like their tea :) And wow do they ever have awesome prices. So I'm really considering them as an oolong source...

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on high quality oolongs that are easy to handle...preferably from a north american vendor to save on shipping cost and time.

Keep in mind I got her hooked on tea with single bush dancong so she knows what the good stuff tastes like already.
:lol:

Usually I get my oolongs from jing tea shop but shipping from China is stupid expensive and I don't want to make a really big tea order at the moment...overseas shipping just doesn't seem worth it to me unless I'm buying a bunch of tea all at once...and my own oolong stash is running dangerously thin! :shock:

Jun 17th, '09, 03:58
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 17th, '09, 03:58

Floating Leaves Tea is an excellent choice. All of the high mountain oolongs are easy brewers. The Spring LiShan and the DaYuLing are both excellent.

Hou De is also a good choice, although I haven't tried the '09's yet.

Are you asking for something with the same quality at a lesser price?

I have in the past had good experiences with less expensive places like Tao of Tea and Bird Pick - but - remember it is the new season right now. Make sure you are getting 2009 if you buy from either of these two.
Last edited by Victoria on Jun 17th, '09, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 17th, '09, 03:58

by Tead Off » Jun 17th, '09, 03:58

I would consider Taiwan oolongs. Da yu ling, light dong ding, Long Feng Xia. Almost any high mountain oolong will be nice. I prefer the Winter 2008 to the Spring 2009.

Jun 17th, '09, 20:53

by tea fish » Jun 17th, '09, 20:53

Seven Cups has good stuff too. Another possibility. Happy oolong shopping...

Jun 18th, '09, 02:15

by entropyembrace » Jun 18th, '09, 02:15

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D

Has anyone tried FLT's Oriental Beauty? It seems like a really interesting type of oolong...I've been wanting to try one since Stephane blogged about it on Teamaster's

Jun 18th, '09, 03:38

by Oni » Jun 18th, '09, 03:38

From february to may I consumed 700 grams of oolong, these teas prepared gong fu style last long, you can brew 7 to 8 times, so buying quality oolongs is cheaper than buying less expencieve oolongs that yield less infusions and less pleasure. I recomend Funalliance, dragon teahouse, jingteashop, houdeasianart, teahabitat, yunnan sourcing, teaspring, look at the prices and ask around for the quality, but beware once you start there is no stopping, tea is addictive.

Jun 24th, '09, 17:48
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 24th, '09, 17:48

Got 3 big boxes of gift today! Very exciting. I think the packaging design from China need to be improve.... still a distance away comparing the standard here. But it's still very presentable.

A very kind gift from my favorite tea master in Anxi: http://chadao.blogspot.com/2006/03/anxi ... -thsu.html. 2 sets of 2009 light TGY. Very different grade. Can't wait to brew them side by side.

Jun 24th, '09, 18:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 24th, '09, 18:31

Wow, impressive gifts, TIM!!! Heh, I usually get mini bags of pretzels or popcorn, wish I had your friends. (Introduce me :twisted: )
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jul 14th, '09, 04:57

Is the healthy drinks

by pc » Jul 14th, '09, 04:57

The Chinese thought that the tea is the healthy drinks, the present gives the visitor, the friend, the senior, is the best present, the significance: Wishes the healthy longevity

+ Post Reply