BING CHA 80207

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.


Sep 20th, '09, 14:25
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 20th, '09

BING CHA 80207

by baska » Sep 20th, '09, 14:25

Hello there,

I need an advice, please. Have anybody heard about this receipt before? It supposed be one of the high prized and not well known receipt. It is from good source but I want to check it, just in case. They say it cost about RMB 1500 in that area. Thanks a lot. :D

User avatar
Sep 20th, '09, 14:34
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22834
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: BING CHA 80207

by Chip » Sep 20th, '09, 14:34

OK, I moved this topic to here thinking it is likely Pu-Erh. If it is not, let me know so I can place it where it belongs.

Thanks!

User avatar
Sep 20th, '09, 14:51
Posts: 400
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09
Scrolling: fixed

Re: BING CHA 80207

by TomVerlain » Sep 20th, '09, 14:51

hi

Welcome to tea chat.

pu'erh uses recipe numbers, like 7542. They include date "75" recipe # or leaf grade "4" and factory "2". This represents a recipe first made in 1975, using #4 grade leaves, by the meng hai factory.

80207 does not really fit that scheme. Some teas use numbers as names, but I do not know of a 80207 cake.

You can use a year and batch number attached to the recipe as well, like 7542-801, would be a cake made in 2008, the first batch of recipe 7542.

A picture is worth a thousand words here. Do you have a picture or more information on the cake ? (What else the label says)

Sep 20th, '09, 15:30
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 20th, '09

Re: BING CHA 80207

by baska » Sep 20th, '09, 15:30

Yes CHIP, it is black Pu Erh tea cake, thx
Last edited by baska on Sep 20th, '09, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sep 20th, '09, 15:36
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 20th, '09

Re: BING CHA 80207

by baska » Sep 20th, '09, 15:36

Hi Tom, sorry I am still not sure how it works here so I hope you can read this..I have to go now but if you can give me your mail I will send you a picture..it is quit difficult to read it as everything is in chinese..many thx

User avatar
Sep 20th, '09, 16:14
Posts: 529
Joined: Jul 23rd, '08
Location: The Isle of Malta

Re: BING CHA 80207

by tony shlongini » Sep 20th, '09, 16:14

With all due respect, if you're considering a tea that's $210 and you're not even certain it's a pu'er, my recommendation would have to be that you not purchase it.

If you're not sure of the year, the factory, the blend, and the seller, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Buying pu'er is tough enough even when you're armed with all the necessary information.

User avatar
Sep 20th, '09, 16:49
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mar 3rd, '09

Re: BING CHA 80207

by entropyembrace » Sep 20th, '09, 16:49

tony shlongini wrote:With all due respect, if you're considering a tea that's $210 and you're not even certain it's a pu'er, my recommendation would have to be that you not purchase it.

If you're not sure of the year, the factory, the blend, and the seller, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Buying pu'er is tough enough even when you're armed with all the necessary information.


+1

Would probably best to buy lower priced puerh from well known and easily recognized brand names like Menghai Dayi or Xiaguan or buy only from vendors that you have a high level of trust with until you have enough knowledge of puerh to evaluate if a cake is actually worth such a high price or not on your own.

User avatar
Sep 20th, '09, 21:26
Posts: 196
Joined: May 1st, '09
Location: Malaysia

Re: BING CHA 80207

by oldmanteapot » Sep 20th, '09, 21:26

tony shlongini wrote:With all due respect, if you're considering a tea that's $210 and you're not even certain it's a pu'er, my recommendation would have to be that you not purchase it.

If you're not sure of the year, the factory, the blend, and the seller, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Buying pu'er is tough enough even when you're armed with all the necessary information.


+2 :D :D

User avatar
Sep 21st, '09, 02:20
Posts: 196
Joined: May 1st, '09
Location: Malaysia

Re: BING CHA 80207

by oldmanteapot » Sep 21st, '09, 02:20

baska wrote:Hello there,

I need an advice, please. Have anybody heard about this receipt before? It supposed be one of the high prized and not well known receipt. It is from good source but I want to check it, just in case. They say it cost about RMB 1500 in that area. Thanks a lot. :D


Did a search online... 80207 seems to be a postcode in Denver, CO. Can you paste the link of the Beeng Cha you're talking about? A picture speaks a thousand words... :)

Cheers!

User avatar
Sep 21st, '09, 09:00
Posts: 62
Joined: May 8th, '09
Location: Malaysia

Re: BING CHA 80207

by pgho » Sep 21st, '09, 09:00

Below is the link to a Chinese website selling a 2006 cooked cake of similar 80207 for 89 RMB or approx USD13.03, if you are paying more than 2X that
price then you are paying too much.

These multi digits (more than 4) are being used by newer probably smaller tea companies. Seen some on the new CNNP products too. As most of you would know, the current CNNP production (labels) are licensed by many new and small tea companies. You will probably not know who the producers are nor the source of the materials; be safe .... Dayi (Menghai Tea Factory), Xiaguan, Mengku ring the bell.

http://www.dafawa.com.cn/Shop/ProShow.aspx?id=4126

User avatar
Sep 21st, '09, 09:02
Posts: 196
Joined: May 1st, '09
Location: Malaysia

Re: BING CHA 80207

by oldmanteapot » Sep 21st, '09, 09:02

pgho wrote:Below is the link to a Chinese website selling a 2006 cooked cake of similar 80207 for 89 RMB or approx USD13.03, if you are paying more than 2X that
price then you are paying too much.

These multi digits (more than 4) are being used by newer probably smaller tea companies. Seen some on the new CNNP products too. As most of you would know, the current CNNP production (labels) are licensed by many new and small tea companies. You will probably not know who the producers are nor the source of the materials; be safe .... Dayi (Menghai Tea Factory), Xiaguan, Mengku ring the bell.

http://www.dafawa.com.cn/Shop/ProShow.aspx?id=4126


Hey PG,

Thanks for clearing the air.

Cheers!

User avatar
Sep 21st, '09, 09:37
Posts: 62
Joined: May 8th, '09
Location: Malaysia

Re: BING CHA 80207

by pgho » Sep 21st, '09, 09:37

Hello OMTP,

Good to see you. Man, you had been pretty active lately. Guess I need to do my part too.

My little trick to search unknown blends or tea and since I can not read Mandarin ... I always include the Chinese character for tea " 茶 " or
puerh "普洱" or Xiaguan "下关" or Dayi "大益" into the search. Then I use
google translator to translate to English.

Rgds,

User avatar
Sep 21st, '09, 10:15
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 20th, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Re: BING CHA 80207

by Salsero » Sep 21st, '09, 10:15

pgho wrote: My little trick to search unknown blends or tea and since I can not read Mandarin ... I always include the Chinese character for tea " 茶 " or
puerh "普洱" or Xiaguan "下关" or Dayi "大益" into the search. Then I use
google translator to translate to English.
Great idea, thanks for sharing.

User avatar
Sep 23rd, '09, 20:47
Posts: 161
Joined: Dec 21st, '08
Location: Burke, VA

Re: BING CHA 80207

by JAS-eTea Guy » Sep 23rd, '09, 20:47

entropyembrace wrote:
tony shlongini wrote:With all due respect, if you're considering a tea that's $210 and you're not even certain it's a pu'er, my recommendation would have to be that you not purchase it.

If you're not sure of the year, the factory, the blend, and the seller, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Buying pu'er is tough enough even when you're armed with all the necessary information.


+1

Would probably best to buy lower priced puerh from well known and easily recognized brand names like Menghai Dayi or Xiaguan or buy only from vendors that you have a high level of trust with until you have enough knowledge of puerh to evaluate if a cake is actually worth such a high price or not on your own.


+1 it's not all about the price unless you are purchasing some 20-30 year old teas.

User avatar
Sep 23rd, '09, 21:47
Posts: 169
Joined: Mar 16th, '09
Location: Asia

Re: BING CHA 80207

by sp1key » Sep 23rd, '09, 21:47

simply, do not buy if you're not sure

For reference, I've bought some 30yrs aged sheng puerh for that price. So unless you know what you're buying, be vigilant.

+ Post Reply