Shopping for pu'er in Toronto's Chinatown

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Sep 26th, '09, 20:05
Scrolling: fixed

Shopping for pu'er in Toronto's Chinatown

by TomVerlain » Sep 26th, '09, 20:05

I was just in Toronto and had a chance to go to Dundas St and Chinatown. I have been trying to post some teaware pictures in the teaware section, but it seems to reject non-hagi photos -

Anyhow, by wandering into various Chinese Medicine stores, I found two that had some pu'erh worth buying. The first was actually a Vietnamese store, they had a pretty good selection of all sorts of teas, as well as these two Xiaguan tuochas. They were $2.99 @, and the are a shu and a sheng. The bottom of the sheng is stamped 2006, so it is already been aging :)

The leaves are not the best, lots of twigs and bits, but for $2.99, I think it is a pretty good deal. Certainly drinkable. Certainly less than I have paid for a 2006 Xiagan toucha before -

The real find was a 250 g bag of loose tea. I asked for pu'erh, the tea is labled pu'erh, but when the english speaking manager called out to the assistant to bring the tea, it was clearly "bo lay" I heard.

This was the real deal. I did not open it in Canada (I did not want to try taking a bag of leafy stuff through customs) - so when I got home I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was shu, as it was dark. It smelled more like chinese medicine in the store, so I did not really know it how it would be. For $2.99 - It is definately aged sheng. Not quite worth flying back to toronto to pick up lots more, but a very happy surprise.

Overall, a fun diversion from business and though most of the stores had nothing i was interested in, it was certainly worth spending a few hours wandering around.

Sep 26th, '09, 20:09

Re: Shopping for pu'er in Toronto's Chinatown

by tony shlongini » Sep 26th, '09, 20:09

$2.99 for a three year old Jia Ji tuo?

Not too shabby!

Sep 26th, '09, 22:39

by oldmanteapot » Sep 26th, '09, 22:39

TomVerlain wrote:The real find was a 250 g bag of loose tea. I asked for pu'erh, the tea is labled pu'erh, but when the english speaking manager called out to the assistant to bring the tea, it was clearly "bo lay" I heard.
"Bo Lay" is the equivalent of Pu'Erh in spoken Cantonese. Pu'Erh is pinyin in Mandarin.

Cheers!

Sep 27th, '09, 07:48
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Sep 27th, '09, 07:48

Wow, that's some great stuff, thanks for sharing! Chinatown stories for some reason seem to not usually turn out so well, but you made some great finds it looks like.

Maybe we could start a different type of 'tea map' where we can enter info like this for others to take advantage of if they are ever in the same area...?

Sep 28th, '09, 10:48

by Jack_teachat » Sep 28th, '09, 10:48

I recently managed to acquire 7 of those shou 'Xiao Fa' tuocha you have there for approximately £2.85 each (English Pounds), so I would say you've gotten a v.good price at $2.99 a cake!

Jack :D

Oct 1st, '09, 21:51

by heavydoom » Oct 1st, '09, 21:51

dude, you should have contacted me. i could have hooked you up on some prime pu erh tea cakes and nice nice yi xing tea wares etc....

avoid china town tea at all costs!!!

+ Post Reply