Matcha Tea Chocolate Bars

For general/other topics related to tea.

Apr 20th, '07, 15:38

Matcha Tea Chocolate Bars

by xine » Apr 20th, '07, 15:38

OK, I know I am the admin here, but I don't know where I to put this....green tea? others? so here it goes:

I'm getting ready for my every-so-often- order from Vosges Chocolate, which if you aren't familiar with the company offers exotic chocolate bars, truffles, brownies, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc. I believe they are based in Chicago, but I first encountered them during a shopping trip in SoHo. A friend and I sat down to a scoop of the Red Fire ice cream ( Ancho & Chipotle Chillies, Ceylon Cinnamon and dark chocolate) and I've been in love since.

I usually pick up a couple of candy bars and a brownie or cookie to keep me satisfied for a time. I did not realize that they had a Matcha Tea chocolate Bar...and if it is anything like their other gourmet chocolate bars....it'll be quite yummy.

Here is is:

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/product/ ... late_chips

i'm quite curious on how this will go- will let you all know.

Dreaming of chocolate (and tea!)
-xine

Apr 20th, '07, 16:34

by Space Samurai » Apr 20th, '07, 16:34

When you get the matcha bar, would you be so kind as to give me the UPC. We carry some of their items at my store, and I'd like to try to get that in.

Thanks a bunch.

Apr 23rd, '07, 14:13

by xine » Apr 23rd, '07, 14:13

Will do!

Apr 26th, '07, 12:09

by xine » Apr 26th, '07, 12:09

I got it in the mail today:

I had a small bit of it; it's very tasty, but you taste the chocolate more than the Matcha. If it had a creamy-Matcha filling; I think it might be a little better. It is a tasty bar, but the Matcha is very subtle- like I feel that if you weren't thinking of it, it wouldn't be there- yummy, but not my favorites from their line.

Space Samurai- I PM'd the UPC to you.

Apr 26th, '07, 12:10

by tomasini » Apr 26th, '07, 12:10

that makes me smile :D

Apr 26th, '07, 14:27

by TeaFanatic » Apr 26th, '07, 14:27

Yum, matcha chocolate bars. What crazy thing will they think of next?
"Make tea not war"

Favorites: Sencha, Dragonwell, White Monkey, Silver Needle, Gyokuro, Kukicha, Darjeeling

Apr 26th, '07, 15:10

by xine » Apr 26th, '07, 15:10

I just had another bite, and it's somewhat growing on me. I don't know though, I just think I have to keep on eating some to figure it out :D

Apr 26th, '07, 21:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 26th, '07, 21:47

Sounds very interesting. Now if they have this in dark chocolate form, it would be an "authentic health food" loaded with antioxidents, etc.

So, do they do this in dark chocolate also? Has anyone had a dark chocolate version? MMM, I love dark chocolate almost as much as I love tea.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 26th, '07, 21:53

by xine » Apr 26th, '07, 21:53

It is dark milk chocolate...mmmmmm.

Apr 26th, '07, 22:25

by Chip » Apr 26th, '07, 22:25

Thanx, Xine. Yeah, you are right. Milk and dark chocolate. MMMMM. That is unusual. I will have to try one if I can even find one.

I make a lot of my own dark chocolate...hmmm...I will have to figure this out...how to mix matcha into a chocolate bar and still have the great taste of both. I do not know if that can really be done.

Apr 27th, '07, 10:45

by xine » Apr 27th, '07, 10:45

Chip, you make yr own chocolate? Awesome. I've been trying to get into that whole chocolate/candy making. I have a book, but alas- no time :(. You should experiement- and let us know the outcome!

Apr 27th, '07, 14:05

by Chip » Apr 27th, '07, 14:05

Xine, alas, the time factor, lol. This has doomed so many great inventions and experiments. But I hear you...

Because of the time factor, most of my chocolate concoctions as of late simply involve throwing nuts (no, not Tomasini, actual nuts, like toasted almonds or peanuts) into melted dark chocolate. You can't lose with that combo. It is as healthy a combo as you will find with chocolate, and tastes GGGGGGGGREAT.

Apr 27th, '07, 15:49

by xine » Apr 27th, '07, 15:49

I did happen to make these chocolate truffle things last week. They're allright- it was based on a vegan recipe (called Angel Turds. Lovely), but I made it non vegan and used dark chocolate. It was just a concoction of dark chocolate coccoa powder, butter, some milk, peanut butter, oats, and sugar. Tasty. I am going to try the original vegan recipe, because that was what I tasted originally and liked.

All this talk of chocolate is making me waaaaaaaaaaant some. I forgot my bar to snack on while at work, which I guess it good. I think I will fix a cup of rooibos almond, which will help my sweet tooth. :D

Apr 27th, '07, 16:13

MATCHA MATCHA MAN

by Chip » Apr 27th, '07, 16:13

Well, that sounds pretty good, but the name needs a little work...lol.

I see I will have to make some chocolate this weekend. I have just a little dark chocolate virtually every day, but I like to make it too...always tastes better.

How to incorporate matcha into dark chocolate and not get lost in the chocolate flavor. I think it can be done the more I think of it, but it will always be more in the background.

Authentic Japanese Matcha is great for cooking and baking. I use it all the time, matcha icing, matcha rice, matcha in baked goods...very good. MATCHA MATCHA MAN...And the green color is even cooler.

Have you tried using matcha in cooking or baking?

May 17th, '07, 10:34

by xine » May 17th, '07, 10:34

I've totally forgotten- while at the Tea/Coffee Fest in NYC there was this company that was launching their own Green Matcha chocolate bars- I found the bar last night in a drawer (probably tucked away for a future secret eating time), and mmmm-mmmm.

They use coccoa butter instead of milk or dark, which is amazing- I love white chocolate. Also, they include the tea leaves in the chocolate, so there is this fun slight crunchiness to it- adds to the texture.

I believe the woman said they were going to try to have the bars sometime later this year at certain retail outlets. If I have time over this weekend (errr-a wedding and an invasion of West Coast relatives) I will post a picture of it. I also have this adorablishious teapot set I got that I want to post a picture of.

+ Post Reply