The Tea Gallery, Small Gaiwan, AdamMY

Member reiviews of teaware related products.

Jun 4th, '10, 14:50

The Tea Gallery, Small Gaiwan, AdamMY

by AdamMY » Jun 4th, '10, 14:50

http://www.theteagallery.com/small_gaiwan_p/ta-gwns.htm

This is my go to gaiwan, espeically if I am making tea only for myself. I have to say the porcelain is so thin it takes some getting used to before you realize it is much sturdier than it looks (but I still would not abuse it). The gaiwan being so thin does not hold heat exceptionally well, which is both good for your fingers, and bad if you have a tea that needs a high temperature maintained over a longer time. But it is easy enough to maintain temperature by using a little bowl/dish and pouring a little bit of hot water in it and setting the gaiwan in that (about 1/3 to 1/2 submerged).

This gaiwan is small, but for someone with fairly large hands it is rather easy to use once I played with it for a little bit.
Last edited by AdamMY on Jun 5th, '10, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 4th, '10, 16:34
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: The Tea Gallery, Small Gaiwan

by pb2q » Jun 4th, '10, 16:34

It's worth noting that the volume of this gaiwan, to the rim is roughly 75ml. This was measured using the mass delta between empty and filled. The Tea Gallery site lists the volume as 60cc - an in-use volume. When I'm using the gaiwan (almost daily, with many kinds of tea), I aim for 50ml of tea.

The large gaiwan is roughly 177ml to the rim. The website specifies the volume as 130cc.

From this I infer that the medium gaiwan, listed at 90cc on the site, would have a volume somewhere around 120ml to the rim.

Jun 6th, '10, 14:10

Re: The Tea Gallery, Small Gaiwan, AdamMY

by Maitre_Tea » Jun 6th, '10, 14:10

my only "complaint" with this is the small knob on the lid. I usually keep my index finger on the knob when pouring, and there's no way the tip of my finger can "fit" into the knob. Very nice for solo drinking, especially when you're trying expensive teas.

Jun 7th, '10, 01:34

by nickE » Jun 7th, '10, 01:34

Maitre_t... wrote:Very nice for solo drinking, especially when you're trying expensive teas.
+1
I love the small size as well. However, I do have one complaint that I think is worth mentioning, especially seeing as this gaiwan costs $18.

My gaiwan (not sure about anyone else's) doesn't fit on the saucer exactly right. The "foot" part at the bottom of the cup is not quite long enough to reach the bottom of the saucer, therefore it kind of swivels around when sitting, which can be quite annoying. Not a big deal, but slightly disappointing when you consider the cost and how great of a gaiwan it is besides this small flaw. I still use it quite a bit anyway, but usually without the saucer. :cry:

Here are some [bad] pics for reference. Let me know if your gaiwan is like this, and if it bothers you.
This is the "foot" that I'm talking about.
In "tilt" mode.

Jun 7th, '10, 02:01

by Maitre_Tea » Jun 7th, '10, 02:01

mine doesn't too that...maybe a one-off flaw? maybe you can get a free replacement if that's the case.

Jun 7th, '10, 10:40

by pb2q » Jun 7th, '10, 10:40

nickE wrote:
Maitre_t... wrote:My gaiwan doesn't fit on the saucer exactly right.
Mine has a similar problem. I'll bet that many of these have similar problems with the fitments. Some folks just dispense with the saucer altogether when using gaiwans.

Jun 7th, '10, 13:11

by Chip » Jun 7th, '10, 13:11

Wow, I would not have expected this from these. They look well made in the site photos.

And this is not intentional, right?

Jun 7th, '10, 16:55

by nickE » Jun 7th, '10, 16:55

Chip wrote:Wow, I would not have expected this from these. They look well made in the site photos.

I don't think so, especially as pb2q is the only other person to say they have a similar problem. I would guess that it's maybe a rare defect? Not sure.

Maybe I will contact The Tea Gallery and see if they know anything about this, or would be willing to send a replacement. I bought it under a month ago, so we'll see.

Jun 7th, '10, 17:53

by wyardley » Jun 7th, '10, 17:53

Leave the saucer in the cabinet, and then there's no problem :>

I think mine swish around in the saucer a little, but I don't really consider it a flaw -- I think if you play with it a little, you can get it to sit flat. But then again, I also don't use the saucer.

Jun 13th, '10, 00:42

by tmorten » Jun 13th, '10, 00:42

+1 on using a small bowl/dish filled with hot water for heat retention. Great suggestion Adam :mrgreen: I just tried this today with a Tung Ting, which is higher oxidized. Works great for maintaining temp in this thin walled gaiwan. I noticed that my tea had a bit fuller flavor and this method also helped to pull out the last remaining traces of flavor from the leaf on the later steepings. Looks like I won't be using my saucer much anymore :lol:

Jun 13th, '10, 00:55

by pb2q » Jun 13th, '10, 00:55

Chip wrote:Wow, I would not have expected this from these. They look well made in the site photos.

Almost certainly not intentional. I've assumed that these imperfections are the result of manufacturing, not rare, and I don't really expect tighter tolerances. I should also add that despite this I do believe that they're well made, though I expect that there must be gaiwans of similar quality available more cheaply.

But - unless I find that similar gaiwan - if my small gaiwan fell off the table tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to order another from the Tea Gallery.

Jun 13th, '10, 02:12

by Geekgirl » Jun 13th, '10, 02:12

Wow, I would consider that a major flaw. Even my cheap porcelain mass-produced gaiwan sit nicely in the saucer, no matter how thin or thick the porcelain is. :shock: Seriously, I know people here know and like the owners of TG, but if you bought the gaiwans from Teavana or Fun Alliance, would you give them a "pass" on a gaiwan that didn't seat properly in the saucer?

Jun 14th, '10, 17:43
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jun 14th, '10, 17:43

Will ask Michael and Winnie about this issue. Stay tuned.... :wink:

After a conversation with Micheal, whom designed and commissioned these series of fine gaiwans... I felt so silly.... Specially I've been collecting these stuff for years :oops: There will soon be a post on their blog about the reason of a lossly fitted saucer. Anyone can guess the right answer, I will reward him or her with my top grade 2010 light TiKwanYin. :D

Not a plug Mr. Chip. :wink: ~ T
Last edited by TIM on Jun 15th, '10, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 15th, '10, 01:26

by Geekgirl » Jun 15th, '10, 01:26

I'll hazard a guess, though I still don't like the idea of a tippy sit in the saucer...

I have one gaiwan that is perfect in every way - perfect in the sense that it is absolutely symmetrical, without a burr or imperfection in the ceramic. It sits perfectly in the saucer, so perfectly that when it gets any liquid at all in the saucer, the two pieces suction together. I can't tell you how many times I've picked up the bowl and had the saucer come with it, only to unseal and drop back onto the tray. It drives me nuts, and I can't believe it hasn't broken yet.

My other gaiwan have slightly irregular bottoms to the bowl or the saucer so this doesn't happen. However, they all still sit very evenly both in appearance and in feel.

Jun 17th, '10, 06:52

by brandon » Jun 17th, '10, 06:52

I shouldn't reveal the secret, but since no one has biten on the offer...
The loose fit of the base causes a slight lean whereby tea pearls can slide down and form a perfect string of pearls around the edge of the saucer. Remarkable kung fu skill.

Mine has good posture and is perfect for brewing very precious teas for one.

+ Post Reply