HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

Artisan Teaware Special Offer Program


User avatar
Oct 17th, '10, 18:37
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by Chip » Oct 17th, '10, 18:37

Stentor wrote:
rdl wrote:i have always used room temp filtered water to give my newly purchased hagiyaki a long soaking and then begin using it - or put it aside to dry for a later use.
likewise, after i use my teaware i will clean in hot tap water - then give it final rinse in filtered water and let to dry.
Me too. I'm really obsessed with avoiding scale stains (hard water over here).
I would never soak any of my teaware in regular tap water and always make sure the last water my cups or pots are in contact with is filtered water. The water for the last rinse should be hot as well in order to make the teaware dry much faster.

Not trying to take this too far off topic but honestly, I think it would be a good thing if TeaChat had FAQ "sticky" topics with instructions like this on things like Hagi, Tokoname, tea brewing, tea storage etc. It would save people a lot of time going through 76 page threads or laborious searching and it would make TeaChat an even better resource. It may also prevent repeated asking of the same questions (which I am sure I have been guilty of myself on occasion).
:mrgreen: I see we are all idiosyncratic.

Oddly while I do brew with pitcher filtered water (graviTea), also having extremely hard water. This has worked wonders in scale reduction in general with teaware. Oh, the oddly part ... I don't wash/clean with filtered water however and never have.

Which brings up, I am always amazed that outside of staining crackles, Hagi does not seem to stain per se.

User avatar
Oct 17th, '10, 21:58
Posts: 401
Joined: Feb 24th, '09, 12:01
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by rdl » Oct 17th, '10, 21:58

Chip wrote: Which brings up, I am always amazed that outside of staining crackles, Hagi does not seem to stain per se.
chip, i often use two hagi cups; one for bancha and one for sencha. different potters but both shirahagi. the inside white of the sencha cup is like you say, stained only in the crackles. but the white of the bancha cup is stained green all over, with lots of crackles, up to the level i fill the cup. above that it is hardly crackled or stained. i can't say why this is. is it due to the tea or glaze or temperature, or longer time in the cup...?
on a different note, i have the cardboard box several of my hagiyaki were packed in, from shops in hagi city (in fact many shops use the same box so i have several). i cannot read the japanese but what i am sure is a translation in english says to just soak the piece in water. similar to what some on line shops say to do. there is no mention of boiling. and no shop owner ever told me to boil my purchase before use.
these are new pieces, i can understand the more careful cleaning of a used piece. i am curious where this boiling method is recommended?

User avatar
Oct 17th, '10, 22:29
Posts: 2240
Joined: Jul 22nd, '09, 10:55
Location: Capital of the Mitten
Contact: AdamMY

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by AdamMY » Oct 17th, '10, 22:29

rdl wrote: chip, i often use two hagi cups; one for bancha and one for sencha. different potters but both shirahagi. the inside white of the sencha cup is like you say, stained only in the crackles. but the white of the bancha cup is stained green all over, with lots of crackles, up to the level i fill the cup. above that it is hardly crackled or stained. i can't say why this is. is it due to the tea or glaze or temperature, or longer time in the cup...?
on a different note, i have the cardboard box several of my hagiyaki were packed in, from shops in hagi city (in fact many shops use the same box so i have several). i cannot read the japanese but what i am sure is a translation in english says to just soak the piece in water. similar to what some on line shops say to do. there is no mention of boiling. and no shop owner ever told me to boil my purchase before use.
these are new pieces, i can understand the more careful cleaning of a used piece. i am curious where this boiling method is recommended?

The boiling makes sense in regards to trying to open up hidden pockets in the piece and possibly clean them out in a way that would be hard to get with water that has less motion to it.

User avatar
Oct 17th, '10, 22:59
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by Chip » Oct 17th, '10, 22:59

RDL, TBH, I am clueless at the moment which vendor(s) included this info with an order. &/or where else I read it.

But I tend to be very meticulous, OCD, AR about following instructions :mrgreen: ... particularly when I am new to something. So, early on I followed the directions I read as a newbie to a TEE. And carried that forward.

The hot water was recommended to remove earthiness as well as any residual packing material odors. Also to aid in removing dust from cracks.

User avatar
Oct 17th, '10, 23:13
Posts: 401
Joined: Feb 24th, '09, 12:01
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by rdl » Oct 17th, '10, 23:13

Chip wrote:The hot water was recommended to remove earthiness as well as any residual packing material odors. Also to aid in removing dust from cracks.
thanks for the info. i am not offering any recommendations but this one: however you do it, do it carefully! my heart jumped too while reading kymidwife' s account. but, all's well that ends well.

User avatar
Oct 17th, '10, 23:41
Posts: 8107
Joined: Jan 8th, '08, 06:00
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Southern CA
Contact: Victoria

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by Victoria » Oct 17th, '10, 23:41

rdl wrote: thanks for the info. i am not offering any recommendations but this one: however you do it, do it carefully! my heart jumped too while reading kymidwife' s account. but, all's well that ends well.
I agree, just be careful and use common sense. Yeah my heart jumped too!

I have had older pieces with more porous clay that smelled musty and I repeatedly filled with boiled water and let sit, repeat, much like Geek, just without the tea. :)

But this piece being newly created; and from its looks fully glazed inside, shouldn't have any problems of being musty.

User avatar
Oct 17th, '10, 23:46
Posts: 48
Joined: Jan 11th, '10, 06:40

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by camw » Oct 17th, '10, 23:46

Bit of a problem causing a delay with my order ( :( ), but sorted out now. Hopefully will still get here this week ( :) ) !

User avatar
Oct 18th, '10, 00:48
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by IPT » Oct 18th, '10, 00:48

I'm expecting mine today or tomorrow. My wife's going to kill me, so if you don't see me here anymore, you'll know why.

User avatar
Oct 18th, '10, 01:10
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by Chip » Oct 18th, '10, 01:10

IPT wrote:I'm expecting mine today or tomorrow. My wife's going to kill me, so if you don't see me here anymore, you'll know why.
You did update your TeaWill, right? Making me the sole Tea and Teaware beneficiary??? :mrgreen:

User avatar
Oct 18th, '10, 01:12
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by IPT » Oct 18th, '10, 01:12

Only if you do the same for me. :wink:

User avatar
Oct 18th, '10, 01:14
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by Chip » Oct 18th, '10, 01:14

But ... but ... this was the deal for your getting a Hagi SO 12. :wink:

User avatar
Oct 18th, '10, 01:15
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by IPT » Oct 18th, '10, 01:15

什么呢?不好意思我看不懂! :lol:

User avatar
Oct 18th, '10, 01:17
Mod/Admin
Posts: 21654
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06, 20:52
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by Chip » Oct 18th, '10, 01:17

Of course you do :!: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Oct 18th, '10, 01:37
Posts: 512
Joined: Oct 8th, '10, 06:59
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Germany

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by Stentor » Oct 18th, '10, 01:37

Chip wrote:The hot water was recommended to remove earthiness as well as any residual packing material odors. Also to aid in removing dust from cracks.
Also, it is just sanitary to use hot water (above 70 C) in order to kill whatever germs may be on there. You are going to put your lips on it after all.

User avatar
Oct 18th, '10, 01:38
Vendor Member
Posts: 1521
Joined: Nov 13th, '09, 10:16
Location: Guilin, Guangxi China
Contact: IPT

Re: HAGI SO 12 "Spirits"

by IPT » Oct 18th, '10, 01:38

Sorry, in my will, my daughter gets it all. She'll probably have a gigantic garage sale.

+ Post Reply