Tea lessons/advices - Share yours here...

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Nov 12th, '10, 22:53

Re: Tea lessons/advices - Share yours here...

by auhckw » Nov 12th, '10, 22:53

I was told and shown that when pouring hot water into the teapot / gaiwan, you have to be careful not to damage the leaves. The proper method is to let the water spin and not letting the water hit directly onto the leaves directly from the top with pressure.

I was shown these test:-

1) Spinning pour
-Water was poured on the corner, the water was spinning the leaves.
-This according to the seller is the proper way of not spoiling the leaves and getting the best out of it.

2) Pouring directly on top of the leaves
-The taste somehow differs not much. But infusion time couldn't last as long as Spinning pour.

3) Pour very very slow and gently on the side, without much leaves movement.
-This can last the longest infusion and the taste from the leaves will come out slow.

4) Shake the pot with the leaves in it (with / without water) or Flip the leaves in the pot
-The colour of tea that came out was murkier.
-The taste was off and stronger.

According to the seller, step 3 and 4 are some 'cheat' techniques for some sellers. I was very surprised with the 4th outcome, the seller was just flipping the leaves a little, shook the pot a little and the output came out quite differently. Brewing time was normal.
~Lesson from TC~

Nov 18th, '10, 21:48

by auhckw » Nov 18th, '10, 21:48

How many brew is enough for raw pu (in terms of health)?
-Rule of thumb, not until the leaves are totally awaken / wide opened
~Lesson from TC~

Nov 18th, '10, 23:02

by GrandmasPuerhCakes » Nov 18th, '10, 23:02

Warming up your teaware doing Gong Fu session is really unnecessary and wasteful. whats the point in that when your're going to rinse the tea anyway?

Nov 18th, '10, 23:06

by auhckw » Nov 18th, '10, 23:06

GrandmasPuerhCakes wrote:Warming up your teaware doing Gong Fu session is really unnecessary and wasteful. whats the point in that when your're going to rinse the tea anyway?
Indeed. I was wondering it too, which I end up not warming it up but just rinsing the tea twice (better be clean than sorry).

Nov 19th, '10, 07:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by Herb_Master » Nov 19th, '10, 07:04

Eagerly attacking a new tea purchase as soon as it arrives can be great, the anticipation :) 8) :lol: and excitement :D :idea: :roll: :P .

But sitting down with friends in a leisurely environment with good ambience can make the experience more appreciative and maybe more objective. The preheating can serve as part of the mood setting, and is really of minimal time and effort if you are going to spend a few hours drinking together.

It serves also to provide that extra bit of cleaning for any last trace of the previous brew if you merely rinsed and drained after it, and is a demonstration to drinking partners of one's attention to detail.

Drinking alone at home route 1 may seem easier :lol:

I use prepared (brita / charcoal) water or bottled for all infusions with one of my tea kettles, but while selecting and preparing for the session I put my standard kitchen kettle on, and use this water to preheat and wash the teapot, faircups (usually a couple), and a choice of drinking cups and the strainer.

Nov 19th, '10, 08:40

by David R. » Nov 19th, '10, 08:40

GrandmasPuerhCakes wrote:Warming up your teaware doing Gong Fu session is really unnecessary and wasteful. whats the point in that when your're going to rinse the tea anyway?
For me, because smelling dry leaves in a hot gaiwan or pot is one of the best moment of a tea session. I preheat more these days and rinse less. Of course teas like shu cha will undergo a proper rinse...

Nov 19th, '10, 09:11

by alan logan » Nov 19th, '10, 09:11

rinsing is one stage (2nd) of preparing the leaves to release flavors and aromas.

preheating is the first stage.

you may skip one or the other stages --or both for that matter. It depends on the time you have for your session, or on personal preferences: if you feel that this makes no difference to you, why do it.

maybe you could try (with same tea, same parameters):
-skipping the rinse but preheat carefully
-skipping the preheat
-then another session not skipping any.
You may well find that preheat is at least as significant as the rinse, if not more. And that in some cases both are the best choice.
Personally, i never skip preheat; for greens/whites/yellow, dan cong, striped wulongs (not aged, little roast) I preheat but do not rinse. ballshaped wulongs even though rather green I do rinse. for heicha & pu er I have different ways of rinsing.

the chaozhou technique includes a preheating stage not in the brewing vessel, but over a flame (put leaves in a vessel, heat it with flame or other source); then the hot/warmed leaves are placed in the brewing vessel, the latter preheated (logical).
Very interesting thing to do.

Similar techniques of preheating are used in cooking : for instance, if you preheat spices before use you will get better aromas. if you preheat the plates before serving certain dishes the aromas will be better maintained (or even enhanced if you are serving a vegetable cold salad eg).

These are "details", yes. But... where is the devil if not in the details ? :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply