Nov 20th, '10, 12:01
Vendor Member

Re: Tea in a wine glass...

by gingkoseto » Nov 20th, '10, 12:01

Herb_Master wrote:I have not tried that one, but I have drunk wine from a Petr Novak teabowl!

:oops: I was thirsty and the bottle was open, and the kitchen cabinet that used to have lots of glasses in is now full of teaware. I was drinking outside in the sunshine, and was too eager to get back outside, so did not go through to the room where the wine glasses now live.
I often use some porcelain or glass gongfu teacups as shot glasses too :D And saki cups as gongfu teacups. And espresso cups for puerh, sometimes. :D

Nov 20th, '10, 15:55

by Alex » Nov 20th, '10, 15:55

tingjunkie wrote:Actually, I wasn't brewing in the glass, just pouring my gaiwan/pot directly into one to drink from. But whatever works for you guys, enjoy!
No it was awesome. I often just brew in a tall glass when I want to brew and go and a wine glass is so much better for it. easy to hold, thin glass, nice smells, and a good shape for holding back the leaves = win :mrgreen:

Nov 21st, '10, 00:28

by tingjunkie » Nov 21st, '10, 00:28

Tead Off wrote:To tell you the truth, I didn't care for the tea this way. It lost heat too fast and I didn't notice any benefit other than you can see the liquor. For gongfu brewing, it doesn't make sense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVCtkzIXYzQ

Nov 21st, '10, 00:53

by tingjunkie » Nov 21st, '10, 00:53

Zensuji wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:Actually, I wasn't brewing in the glass, just pouring my gaiwan/pot directly into one to drink from. But whatever works for you guys, enjoy!
No it was awesome. I often just brew in a tall glass when I want to brew and go and a wine glass is so much better for it. easy to hold, thin glass, nice smells, and a good shape for holding back the leaves = win :mrgreen:
Cool. I'm guessing you are brewing more Western style, as gongfu would require short steeps and drinking VERY hot tea.

Nov 21st, '10, 03:25

by Alex » Nov 21st, '10, 03:25

tingjunkie wrote:
Zensuji wrote:
Cool. I'm guessing you are brewing more Western style, as gongfu would require short steeps and drinking VERY hot tea.
Yeah just a table spoon of wuyi. Fill the wine glass and leave for 10 mins or so. Taste great. Go for one refill. Comes out strong and dark but I like wuyi like that. The thin glass it perfect as the temp drops quick and doesnt over brew even though I stick a good amount of leaf in. And all the oolong falls to the bottom so you dont have to part the leaves or deal with odd bits.

I wouldn't do it If had time to brew gongfu at the tea table. But when I just want to pop upstairs and play some xbox for the odd hour its perfect.

Nov 21st, '10, 05:05

by tenuki » Nov 21st, '10, 05:05

I do this a lot in the summer:
And this in the winter:

I love the colors - I took a whole series of abstract color studies using tea in glasses and sunlight.

Nov 22nd, '10, 03:55

by Tead Off » Nov 22nd, '10, 03:55

tingjunkie wrote:
Tead Off wrote:To tell you the truth, I didn't care for the tea this way. It lost heat too fast and I didn't notice any benefit other than you can see the liquor. For gongfu brewing, it doesn't make sense.
What else could it possibly be? Isn't that what you were asking about? :lol:

Nov 22nd, '10, 13:59

by tingjunkie » Nov 22nd, '10, 13:59

Tead Off wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:
What else could it possibly be? Isn't that what you were asking about? :lol:
Well, I was really making a suggestion for folks to give it a try if they hadn't already, but nothing wrong with adding your opinion to the thread. I'm sure not everyone will like the method or learn anything by trying it. The thread just seemed like it needed an appearance by the Dude. ;)

Nov 23rd, '10, 00:03
Vendor Member

by IPT » Nov 23rd, '10, 00:03

I often use wine glasses in my teashops to demonstrate the blossoming teas that open up. I also use glass pilsner cups to brew green tea in. I found some very nice double lined glass ones which are great for watching the tea dance and also it keeps the fingers from getting burned.

+ Post Reply