May 10th, '11, 00:48

Tea tin scent removal

by Coppery Cup » May 10th, '11, 00:48

I bought several of these Teavana tea tins awhile back: http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/tea ... na-tea-tin

At the time, the clerk assured me that when I put new teas in there that the leftover scent from previous teas held in the containers could be easily washed out with mild soap and water. Well, this has turned out to be completely untrue and the scent remains after washing and after putting baking soda in it to absorb the odor. I don't buy the same teas all the time and have a couple tins near empty that will not be replaced with teas even remotely similar in aroma. Anyone have any suggestions for removing the scent?

May 10th, '11, 13:13

Re: Tea tin scent removal

by Buzz Fledderjohn » May 10th, '11, 13:13

Charcoal used for fish aquariums wrapped in a tissue, paper towel, etc. works wonders. It takes a while though. Seal it up in the tin and leave it alone for a few weeks.

May 12th, '11, 14:30

by MarshalN » May 12th, '11, 14:30

What kind of scent are you talking about? Do you drink flavoured teas?

If it's from those flavourings, good luck, since those things stick around. If it's regular, non flavoured teas -- airing it out and putting some charcoal in might do the trick.

May 13th, '11, 16:22
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » May 13th, '11, 16:22

What I've observed from my spices' cans is, if a scent refuse to go easily, mostly likely the effort of driving it away will turn out fruitless :shock: Usually what I do with those cans is, I use them to hold spices with even heavier scents and don't bother to wash them at all. :mrgreen:

I don't have much of such problem with tea cans. But I have a few cans of the smokey type of lapsang souchong. I eventually use them for coffee or barbeque spices. :mrgreen:

May 13th, '11, 17:04

by dajaga » May 13th, '11, 17:04

Have you tried using a vinegar and water solution and than wash it with a mild dish soap. Works for me. Just make sure you dry it out real good.
I usually dry it out with a paper towel and let it set for 24 hours.

+ Post Reply