TeaHabitat-All 20% off-sale til 2morrow

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 30th, '11, 00:09

TeaHabitat-All 20% off-sale til 2morrow

by wh&yel-apprentice » May 30th, '11, 00:09

Figured some of you might be interested.

This is the 1st time I've seen all 27 of TH's 'single bush' Dan Cong's on sale (a few are sold out), but I only noticed recently, and the sale supposedly ends June 1.

http://www.teahabitat.com/store/index.p ... x&cPath=10

Too many other teas I'm exploring (limited budget) now at the peak season for 2011, so I'll have to pass on any of these expensive teas, would have liked to try some of the 2006's she has now, as I've only tried the '08 & '07 a few years ago at her store.

Too bad Imen couldn't make a profit with her brick & mortar store, was great while it lasted :(

May 30th, '11, 02:57

Re: TeaHabitat-All 20% off-sale til 2morrow

by Oni » May 30th, '11, 02:57

I bought 4 teas from Imen recently, I was motivated by the 20% off, I am really hoping for the best, I really wish that she can sell us high quality tea for a long time, if she is in trouble we should support her and buy tea, there are only a few shops that sell higher quality teas, they should be protected from the harmful side of economics.

Jun 7th, '11, 04:52

by Oni » Jun 7th, '11, 04:52

I have recieved my order of 4 great Dancongs, and I see that the deadline is extended, I can hardly wait to go home and try my first teahabitat DC order, these will be the first real Single Bush DC`s that I try, and I have high expectations, like durability of infusions, and great aftertaste and aroma.

Jun 7th, '11, 05:22

by Nenugal » Jun 7th, '11, 05:22

Oni wrote:I have recieved my order of 4 great Dancongs, and I see that the deadline is extended, I can hardly wait to go home and try my first teahabitat DC order, these will be the first real Single Bush DC`s that I try, and I have high expectations, like durability of infusions, and great aftertaste and aroma.

Interesting! I ordered some 2009 Lao Cong Zhi Lan Xiang just now, and it will be my first real single-bush dancong too. :mrgreen:

Jun 7th, '11, 19:57

by bob » Jun 7th, '11, 19:57

I also took advantage of the recent sale and bought several dancongs: Ba Xian 2007, Honey Orchid Gold Medalist #1 2008, Lao Cong Zhi Lan Xiang 2009 and Ming Cong Jin Si 2009.

I didn't open the Lao Cong Zhi Lan yet, but I would be very interested in comparing the taste. I would like to see if I taste the same things as you do or maybe something completely different... :)

Jun 8th, '11, 02:51

by Nenugal » Jun 8th, '11, 02:51

bob wrote:I also took advantage of the recent sale and bought several dancongs: Ba Xian 2007, Honey Orchid Gold Medalist #1 2008, Lao Cong Zhi Lan Xiang 2009 and Ming Cong Jin Si 2009.

I didn't open the Lao Cong Zhi Lan yet, but I would be very interested in comparing the taste. I would like to see if I taste the same things as you do or maybe something completely different... :)
Yes comparing taste experiences is a nice idea. I ordered it yesterday so I guess my package will arrive around two weeks from now :)

Jun 10th, '11, 16:07

by bob » Jun 10th, '11, 16:07

Great!

I think I'll try the Zhi Lan tomorrow. I'll post how it went!

Jun 15th, '11, 18:37

by bob » Jun 15th, '11, 18:37

OK, I've been playing with the Zhi Lan for the past few days.

The first time I forgot the tea at the fourth brew and left it soaking for a couple of minutes. The result was very bitter and undrinkable. The subsequent short or long brews were flat. :roll:

The second time I had a long session with 4-5 g in a 100 mL gaiwan. I tried following Imen's directions (10-15 seconds for the first few brews), but I was not very impressed with the results. OK, the basic aroma that I associate with Dan Cong (I guess it's the "orchid") was clearly present, it was a bit woody/grassy, but I couldn't detect much fruity/floral aromas that I was hoping for.

The third time I used the same amount but with very short steepings, only a couple of seconds for the first few brews. I also used bottled mineral water instead of the usual tap water (which is good but hard). The results were a bit more to my liking, I could get a hint of something floral, a little sweetness, a nice aftertaste. But I think I prefer Ba Xian, I seem to get more out of it.

And please keep in mind I'm very new to describing teas and I have limited experience with Dan Congs... :wink:

Jun 23rd, '11, 03:57

by Nenugal » Jun 23rd, '11, 03:57

bob wrote:OK, I've been playing with the Zhi Lan for the past few days.

The first time I forgot the tea at the fourth brew and left it soaking for a couple of minutes. The result was very bitter and undrinkable. The subsequent short or long brews were flat. :roll:

The second time I had a long session with 4-5 g in a 100 mL gaiwan. I tried following Imen's directions (10-15 seconds for the first few brews), but I was not very impressed with the results. OK, the basic aroma that I associate with Dan Cong (I guess it's the "orchid") was clearly present, it was a bit woody/grassy, but I couldn't detect much fruity/floral aromas that I was hoping for.

The third time I used the same amount but with very short steepings, only a couple of seconds for the first few brews. I also used bottled mineral water instead of the usual tap water (which is good but hard). The results were a bit more to my liking, I could get a hint of something floral, a little sweetness, a nice aftertaste. But I think I prefer Ba Xian, I seem to get more out of it.
It was very interesting to read your notes! Now I know that I need to pay close attention to brewing parameters for this one. My bag finally arrived yesterday, and I plan to try it later today. I'll post again then :mrgreen:
And please keep in mind I'm very new to describing teas and I have limited experience with Dan Congs... :wink:
+1! It will be my first real single bush Dan Cong... very exciting :)

Jun 23rd, '11, 05:52

by Nenugal » Jun 23rd, '11, 05:52

First attempt at 2009 Lao Cong Zhi Lan Xiang.
4 g in a 75 ml gaiwan. Boiling water (good Norwegian tap water), first infusion is around 8-10 seconds (not 15 as recommended by Imen). First impression is that it is a bit mild and not too much going on apart from "regular dancong taste" (whatever that is), but after a couple of sips, I suddenly notice notes of sweet-sour fruit (lychee/rambutan/longan?), a very nice honey-like sweetness, a smell of something slightly roasted, and some flowery softness (now I have to smell an orchid to compare...). The aftertaste is really long and fruity-sweet and finally turns into something sweet-spicy.

Is it the increased attention to detail because of high expectations that makes me like it a lot? Or that I "really want to like it" since I paid a lot for it? Or an effect of the beautiful Petr SO cup that I drink it from? I make the second infusion also 10 seconds, and then a slight astringency sneaks in. Still very good, significantly better than non-single-bush dancongs that I've had in the past. Now I need to buy another single-bush dancong to compare and contrast. Any recommendations? :mrgreen:

Jun 24th, '11, 04:33

by Nenugal » Jun 24th, '11, 04:33

2009 Lao Cong Zhi Lan Xiang continued...
Next day and around the 10th infusion (lost count), it's still good :mrgreen:

Jun 24th, '11, 10:30

by debunix » Jun 24th, '11, 10:30

Nenugal wrote:First attempt at 2009 Lao Cong Zhi Lan Xiang.
Is it the increased attention to detail because of high expectations that makes me like it a lot? Or that I "really want to like it" since I paid a lot for it? Or an effect of the beautiful Petr SO cup that I drink it from?
Now I need to buy another single-bush dancong to compare and contrast. Any recommendations? :mrgreen:
Of the available teas, recently I've been enjoying 2009 Kan Tou (Stone Wall Edge) and 2009 Ya Shi (Duck waste). I liked the 2007 Po Tou (Ginger flower) enough to buy buy the same one again, but the 2008 Song Zong #5 really took my breath away.

Jun 25th, '11, 03:16

by Nenugal » Jun 25th, '11, 03:16

debunix wrote:
Nenugal wrote:First attempt at 2009 Lao Cong Zhi Lan Xiang.
Is it the increased attention to detail because of high expectations that makes me like it a lot? Or that I "really want to like it" since I paid a lot for it? Or an effect of the beautiful Petr SO cup that I drink it from?
Now I need to buy another single-bush dancong to compare and contrast. Any recommendations? :mrgreen:
Of the available teas, recently I've been enjoying 2009 Kan Tou (Stone Wall Edge) and 2009 Ya Shi (Duck waste). I liked the 2007 Po Tou (Ginger flower) enough to buy buy the same one again, but the 2008 Song Zong #5 really took my breath away.
Thanks! I'll have a look at those, although for the price I'll probably have to pick only one in the end... I see the 2008 Song Zong #5 and 2007 Po Tou are already sold out unfortunately.

Jun 25th, '11, 09:33

by debunix » Jun 25th, '11, 09:33

Oops, was trying to check for availability before I posted.

I've really only had trouble with one of Imen's dan congs, and it was because I was mistaking the "single bush" version for the "commercial" version I'd had previously, and the single bush demanded a little more care.

Jun 25th, '11, 10:12

by Nenugal » Jun 25th, '11, 10:12

debunix wrote:Oops, was trying to check for availability before I posted.

I've really only had trouble with one of Imen's dan congs, and it was because I was mistaking the "single bush" version for the "commercial" version I'd had previously, and the single bush demanded a little more care.
It could also be that your recommendation lead to a sudden increase in the popularity of these :lol: So I've ended up with ordering the 2009 Kan Tou - Stone Wall Edge and I'm really looking forward to trying it after the success with the 2009 Lao Cong Zhi Lan Xiang :)

+ Post Reply