2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.


User avatar
May 8th, '12, 03:30
Vendor Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Jul 13th, '09
Location: Japan
Contact: Kevangogh

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Kevangogh » May 8th, '12, 03:30

Yes, the original is often called "classic". Then I got ahold of another real good one and called it "LE" because it was, well, limited. I sold them both at the same time. I "might" do that again, I haven't decided yet.

User avatar
May 8th, '12, 04:47
Posts: 1422
Joined: Oct 5th, '09
Location: UK

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Alex » May 8th, '12, 04:47

Just ordered some Organic Kagoshima Shincha Asatsuyu from YC...been waiting to try this one. As it was my fav sencha last year.


Just itching for them to get the Organic Kagoshima Sencha Kirishima Kanayamidori in now. I'm desperate for some Asu now.

User avatar
May 8th, '12, 09:37
Posts: 556
Joined: Oct 8th, '10
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Germany

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Stentor » May 8th, '12, 09:37

Kevin, thanks for always being so open about these things.
I imagine it can be hard to decide between several teas of similar quality, especially if you have a long lasting business relationship with somebody whose product you feel you have to turn down.

I for one enjoyed the 2011 version, so I am looking forward to your 2012 Yutaka Midori offering either way.
I don't know how much sense it makes business wise, but I wouldn't mind having the chance to try both of your top 2 choices.

User avatar
May 9th, '12, 01:52
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22836
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Chip » May 9th, '12, 01:52

Speaking of classic and new Yutaka Midori from O-Cha ... NEW Yutaka Midori is in the house!!! Lovely, persistantly green leaves that are especially nice for a fuka.

More to come on this saga.

User avatar
May 9th, '12, 02:00
Vendor Member
Posts: 433
Joined: Feb 2nd, '12
Location: RSA
Contact: SilentChaos

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by SilentChaos » May 9th, '12, 02:00

Kevangogh wrote: I really wanted to go back to the "classic" supplier but although it was also very good, I didn't think it was as good this year as the one I selected. ... The people I buy from know I go with the best I can find first, and loyalty to a particular vendor comes second. This probably differentiates me from a regular Japanese buyer, but that's how I roll.


Stentor wrote:I imagine it can be hard to decide between several teas of similar quality, especially if you have a long lasting business relationship with somebody whose product you feel you have to turn down.


Just a thought... Whilst I can understand seller-supplier loyalty from a business and/or personal perspective,I don't get why as a customer one would want to buy from a seller who puts loyalty to supplier first. (I'm not sure but it seems like at least some customers buy that way.) If a particular supplier is providing a certain consistent taste, and such a taste appeals to me then yes I would want to buy from such a seller. But given this is not the case (correct me if I'm wrong), I definitely appreciate that when I click o-cha's checkout button, I will be getting what Kevin in his honest opinion thinks is the best tea or at least quality to price ratio from the selection available to him.

:mrgreen: It's still shincha time but can't wait to see what happens with 2012 gyo. :mrgreen:

User avatar
May 11th, '12, 17:16
Posts: 127
Joined: May 19th, '10

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Chesslover » May 11th, '12, 17:16

Today I tried O-cha's YM shincha and I must say, that it's superb...sweet, tasty, with hints of lemon...each steeping world of his own...great third and nice fourth steeping...started with 70 degrees C and ended with 80 degrees - no bitternes, still room for higher temperatures, I think.

Well done Kevin!

User avatar
May 13th, '12, 13:18
Posts: 1693
Joined: Jun 24th, '08

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by edkrueger » May 13th, '12, 13:18

Ippodo Shincha is out!

User avatar
May 17th, '12, 21:33
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22836
Joined: Apr 22nd, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Chip » May 17th, '12, 21:33

The shincha review topic is "in." :mrgreen:

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17321

User avatar
May 23rd, '12, 04:33
Posts: 29
Joined: Mar 14th, '12

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Zubo » May 23rd, '12, 04:33

Chesslover wrote:Today I tried O-cha's YM shincha and I must say, that it's superb...sweet, tasty, with hints of lemon...each steeping world of his own...great third and nice fourth steeping...started with 70 degrees C and ended with 80 degrees - no bitternes, still room for higher temperatures, I think.

Well done Kevin!



Same here. I'm still a noob, but YM i got this morning is the most freaking amazing drink I've ever drank!

User avatar
May 23rd, '12, 09:24
Posts: 68
Joined: Apr 25th, '09
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by robbie_olive » May 23rd, '12, 09:24

So far, I've only ordered from Zencha.net; I ordered some Yame -The Ultimate, Kagoshima Super Premium, and YM. I've ordered from them before (mainly Yame shincha, gyokuro and matcha) and I've been very happy with the quality. This will be the first time I've ordered Kagoshima shincha from them, so I'm hoping it's as good as those from O-Cha.com. I might order a couple of packs of O-cha's YM while I'm at it anyway!

I'll let you if they're any good.

Cheers!

User avatar
May 23rd, '12, 10:58
Posts: 714
Joined: Jan 9th, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by sherubtse » May 23rd, '12, 10:58

robbie_olive wrote:So far, I've only ordered from Zencha.net; I ordered some Yame -The Ultimate, Kagoshima Super Premium, and YM. I've ordered from them before (mainly Yame shincha, gyokuro and matcha) and I've been very happy with the quality.


Any recommendations for a modestly-priced, yet excellent, matcha from Zencha? :?:

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar
May 23rd, '12, 11:50
Posts: 705
Joined: Sep 1st, '10
Location: Northwest Louisiana

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by tortoise » May 23rd, '12, 11:50

edkrueger wrote:Ippodo Shincha is out!


I've got some, along with a few other items from Ippodo, on the way.

User avatar
May 23rd, '12, 22:31
Posts: 68
Joined: Apr 25th, '09
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by robbie_olive » May 23rd, '12, 22:31

sherubtse wrote:
robbie_olive wrote:So far, I've only ordered from Zencha.net; I ordered some Yame -The Ultimate, Kagoshima Super Premium, and YM. I've ordered from them before (mainly Yame shincha, gyokuro and matcha) and I've been very happy with the quality.


Any recommendations for a modestly-priced, yet excellent, matcha from Zencha? :?:

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse



Hi sherubste,

From zencha.net, I've tried both the 'Sansui' koicha and the 'Moe' usucha, both from Yame, and they were very nice. The 'Moe' is good value if you decide to buy the 40grams or 100grams, which is what I tend to do, as I drink matcha everyday. It's a very good matcha for daily usage or for chanoyu. $28 for 100grams, or $12.95 for 40grams, is pretty good value. If you want something for a special occasion, try 'Seiju', which is a koicha, but can be used as usucha too. You can find 'Seiju' from greentea-japan.com

Having said all that, when it comes to matcha, you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.
Cheers!

User avatar
May 24th, '12, 10:03
Posts: 714
Joined: Jan 9th, '10
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by sherubtse » May 24th, '12, 10:03

robbie_olive wrote:From zencha.net, I've tried both the 'Sansui' koicha and the 'Moe' usucha, both from Yame, and they were very nice. The 'Moe' is good value if you decide to buy the 40grams or 100grams, which is what I tend to do, as I drink matcha everyday. It's a very good matcha for daily usage or for chanoyu. $28 for 100grams, or $12.95 for 40grams, is pretty good value. If you want something for a special occasion, try 'Seiju', which is a koicha, but can be used as usucha too. You can find 'Seiju' from greentea-japan.com


Thanks for the feedback, robbie_olive!

I am using the Moe now, and agree that it is a fine matcha, esp. for the price. It sifts very nicely -- no lumps at all. The Sansui is in the fridge, awaiting use.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

User avatar
May 30th, '12, 03:57
Posts: 1422
Joined: Oct 5th, '09
Location: UK

Re: 2012 Official Shincha Ordering Topic

by Alex » May 30th, '12, 03:57

2012 Organic Kagoshima Shincha Kirishima Kanayamidori

"We regret to say that this year's Kanayamidori was not a success, so this tea will not be available this year. "



Image

+ Post Reply