Taste Confusion

For general/other topics related to tea.

Aug 28th, '12, 05:31
Vendor Member

Taste Confusion

by SilentChaos » Aug 28th, '12, 05:31

So, I've been drinking a number of very similar teas recently especially Gaoshan and aged oolongs. At first, I could taste relatively quite nuanced differences between similar teas of similar quality, i.e. more or less telling tea X of grade Y apart from tea W of grade Y. Recently though, these differences are sort of fading into the background, even with teas I know quite well. My taste buds getting confused? Becoming accustomed to certain tastes? Anyone had similar experiences?

Aug 28th, '12, 09:21
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Taste Confusion

by Lerxst2112 » Aug 28th, '12, 09:21

I've noticed that a tea that's been open awhile starts to lose its subtleties. Though they were greens. Not sure if this goes for oolongs as well.

Aug 28th, '12, 09:33
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Aug 28th, '12, 09:33

I thought of that, but this is the case for me even with a tea that I know, and that I just got fresh from my tea dealers (same batch of tea of course).
:shock:

Aug 28th, '12, 16:56

by Lerxst2112 » Aug 28th, '12, 16:56

SilentChaos wrote: that I just got fresh
Well fark... so much for that theory. Aliens blocked your taste receptors :lol: But seriously, though. Have you been sampling a lot of these teas? Maybe stepping back for a little while, and going onto something else for a little bit, then revisiting them might help.

Y'know, it just dawned on me that your pic is a downwards shot of what appears to be a stringed instrument.. like a guitar. What do you play?

Aug 29th, '12, 01:03
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Aug 29th, '12, 01:03

Lerxst2112 wrote:
SilentChaos wrote: that I just got fresh
Well fark... so much for that theory. Aliens blocked your taste receptors :lol: But seriously, though. Have you been sampling a lot of these teas? Maybe stepping back for a little while, and going onto something else for a little bit, then revisiting them might help.

Y'know, it just dawned on me that your pic is a downwards shot of what appears to be a stringed instrument.. like a guitar. What do you play?
Hehe, I like the aliens theory better. Yeah, I've been drinking a lot of gaoshans and laocha at quite high to ridiculous ratios, so think maybe that's got something to do with it too.

Pic is technically an upward shot of a guitar from bridge to neck. I used to be a guitarist.

Aug 29th, '12, 21:00

by Chip » Aug 29th, '12, 21:00

When this happens to me, I look for ways to break things up, perhaps trying an extreme brewing method for otherwise familiar teas ... or taking a break from sencha for a brief period.

Aug 29th, '12, 22:35
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Aug 29th, '12, 22:35

Chip wrote:When this happens to me, I look for ways to break things up, perhaps trying an extreme brewing method for otherwise familiar teas ... or taking a break from sencha for a brief period.
:o Glad to know this is not some weird thing unique to me. :P Speaking of sencha, just got back into it with a boom bang kikyou. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply