May 22nd, '07, 14:32

Looking for black square teapot on Iron Chef America

by sygyzy » May 22nd, '07, 14:32

Last night I watched a (recorded) episode of ICA. The challenger, a Texan, brewed Earl Grey (from bags, yuck) in a cool teapot. It was black and looked like metal and was square, not spherical.

Any ideas?

May 22nd, '07, 17:06

by Space Samurai » May 22nd, '07, 17:06

Sigh, as much as I absolutely hate to reccomend anything from Republic of Tea, there is this one:

http://www.republicoftea.com/templates/ ... k138557748

May 22nd, '07, 21:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 22nd, '07, 21:36

There should be a law against brewing any kind of tea bag, especially something "English" like Earl Grey in a Japanese tetsubin.

If I had been there, I might have drawn my imitation Samurai sword.

May 22nd, '07, 22:59

by sygyzy » May 22nd, '07, 22:59

Well, this was a crazy tequila shooting, Stetson wearing, rebel Texan cook. I was surprised he brought out tea to begin with. They poured hot water into the tetsubin then placed 2 (3?) Earl Grey tea bags in them to steep.

May 23rd, '07, 13:44

by tomasini » May 23rd, '07, 13:44

if you dont mind me asking..why the hatin on republic of tea?

May 23rd, '07, 14:39

by Mary R » May 23rd, '07, 14:39

I'm a Republic rebel because they over-flavor their blends (and I'm the sort of tea nerd who likes flavors, so that's saying something) and rely on 'natural flavoring' additives (concentrated sprays of a chemical with a natural origin) to obtain that flavor.

They're also insanely big on yuppie marketing, which I can understand--money makes the world go round, after all--but it annoys me nevertheless.

May 23rd, '07, 15:05

by Chip » May 23rd, '07, 15:05

As a CitiZEN of the Republic, I declare Mary as a rebel.

I remember when I first started drinking tea, RoT (funny acronym) was actually pretty decent, and I got a kick out of the whole republic and minister of leaf thing they had going on. But it wore thin when their quality diminished and yes, they use too much additive flavorings.

The last straw was when I bought one of their white can Jasmine white tea bags. As soon as I opened the can, I knew I made a mistake. It was "flavored" vs scented in the traditional Chinese method (I should have read the label, but I made an assumption).

Really disgusting. I still have it somewhere. It would make a decent potpourri, but I ain't drinking that s**t

May 23rd, '07, 21:51

by Mary R » May 23rd, '07, 21:51

Woo hoo! I am no longer a self-declared rebel! I can finally fly my flag with no compunctions!

Photoshop and boredom...

May 23rd, '07, 22:38

by Space Samurai » May 23rd, '07, 22:38

tomasini wrote:if you dont mind me asking..why the hatin on republic of tea?
Funny you should ask; I was planning on writing a review on TRoT. My problem with them is this:

1) Prices, their "legit" teas (dian hong, silver needle and the like) are way, way overpriced, and usually inferior in quality to other teas that are priced significantly lower.

2) Marketing. I agree that the whole Republic, Minister, Citizen thing is cute for about five minutes. It annoys me that they release a line of Fair Trade Teas, and make no effort whatsoever to expand the certification to their other teas. The economic stability of third world workers is little more than a marketing strategy to them.

3) Customer service. I have had numerous bad experiences with them.

4) They don't know what they are doing. Seriously, ask them a question. I have had the following conversation with them, almost word for word. "Where does your Golden Yunnan come from, please be specific." "It comes from Yunnan, China." "Okay, more specific than that." "The North West. It's very exclusive."

Or my favorite, "There is no difference between a sheng and a shou."

5) (and this is what it comes down to) So many people think that Republic of Tea is high quality, gourmet, the best tea on the planet and will pay premium prices for their little tea bag of ginger peach flavored BOP of unknown origins. Why should this bother me? Cos I am an inferior human being, that's why.

May 26th, '07, 02:13

by himthatwas » May 26th, '07, 02:13

IN THIS CORNER, HAILING FROM PARTS UNKNOWN IS BAAAAHHHHHHHHHPPPPP.

IN THE FAR CORNER, eh, ginger peach.

A collision...

Mmmmmmmmm Tasty.

It's the only tea I like from them, but I like it a lot, and I haven't found a version I like better anywhere else (I have tried several, and will continue to). Thankfully I have a local place that carries it for $6.95. I've seen it as high as $12 - absurd!

I really didn't like their version of it as a loose tea.
For tales of the utmost stupidity, the outright thirsty, and the obscenely fickle eccentricities of tea drinkers, transporters, and makers of tea visit:

http://teasire.blogspot.com

May 27th, '07, 02:47

by scruffmcgruff » May 27th, '07, 02:47

Just so you know, it's French, not Japanese (thus not a tetsubin). The brand is Staub. I know because I actually have the round one that was shown in the same episode (briefly). Though the company calls it a teapot, I use mine as a kettle, and I think it is much better suited to that purpose.

Here's the product page:
http://www.staubusa.com/v7/prod_teapot/index.asp

And here's a place you can buy it (pricey though):
http://www.chefsresource.com/16501.html
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

May 27th, '07, 02:50

by scruffmcgruff » May 27th, '07, 02:50

Also, with regard to the enamel, this is not the same enamel I've found in tetsubins-- it's the more modern enamel found on enameled cast iron cookware, so it won't get messed up on a stove.

Dec 27th, '07, 22:04

by TheSteamyPot » Dec 27th, '07, 22:04

Stab is my all time favorite manufacture of enameled cast iron cookware. It is pricey but it performs beautifully (I am a self made chef :)...). I do not have a staub tea pot but I am seriously planning on getting one, I will get the round one. You can find them easily online and for a descent but still steep price. Best thing is that you can boil water in this teapot, because the enamel can withstand up to 550 degrees.

Dec 28th, '07, 02:40

by HydeInFL » Dec 28th, '07, 02:40

+ Post Reply