Jan 3rd, '08, 01:26

My first Gaiwan

by PolyhymnianMuse » Jan 3rd, '08, 01:26

So after much looking over the "show off your teaware" thread and seeing some beautiful gaiwans I'm deciding to purchase my first one and start experimenting with it. I'v looked at a few different websites and I was hoping I could get some input on the quality of gaiwans people have bought and from where, or if you could suggest some other good places to look.

Jan 3rd, '08, 02:45

by Wesli » Jan 3rd, '08, 02:45

I bought my gaiwan for $5 from a local shop. Cheap teaware means not worrying about breaking it. Also, I don't think the quality of a gaiwan matters as much as the quality of yixing and other pots. First of all, you want it glazed, so that means less worrying about what clay it's made of, although heat retention is something to consider. The only issue I have with my $5 gaiwan is that the lid doesn't fit perfectly. It's fit makes it sit partly turned, only noticeable when scrutinized.

Take a look at Red Blossom. (I think about half of those gaiwans have been purchased by people on this site. :wink: )

Jan 3rd, '08, 02:47

by Space Samurai » Jan 3rd, '08, 02:47

I've said it before; I think the silver needle (and its jade mist counter-part) from Red Blossom are excellent gaiwans, best I've seen.

Then someone usualy points out that you can get them cheaper from eBay and what not.

To which I always say or think, you get what you pay for.

Jan 3rd, '08, 16:14

by TheSteamyPot » Jan 3rd, '08, 16:14

I just got my first at a local oriential market here in Tampa. It was cheep and I liked how it looked. It will be good for me to use to practice on how to brew and poor with it properly.

+ Post Reply