Tea Essence or Tea Cream

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 6:04 am
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Tead Off » Dec 10th 12 6:04 am

I'm wondering if some of the posters here are familiar with this form of Puerh that seems to be getting more popular with the Chinese. I was given some samples of both raw and cooked Tea Essence. The photos show the packaging and the Tea Essence itself. Searching google, I found some sites featuring different brands but all describe a very scientific process of extraction that seems to get all of the beneficial elements of the tea leaves.

At first, I thought it might be some kind of instant tea that restaurants sometimes serve, but this is not the case. Pouring boiling water into a vessel slowly melts the pellet into a thick, syrupy blob that ultimately dissolves in the water. After drinking, we could feel sensations in the forehead and stomach.
1g Tea Essence.jpg
1g package.jpg
Can someone tell me what Houde means? It appears on both the raw and cooked samples. Other packages said wenchun. I couldn't find translations for either of these words on Babelcarp or other dictionaries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 7:32 am
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mar 15th 06 10:43 pm

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by MarshalN » Dec 10th 12 7:32 am

Houde is just the brand name. Wenchun - I don't see the Chinese for it, but I'm guessing it's the brand name too.

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 7:48 am
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Tead Off » Dec 10th 12 7:48 am

MarshalN wrote:Houde is just the brand name. Wenchun - I don't see the Chinese for it, but I'm guessing it's the brand name too.
The brand looks like Kingzen.

Can you tell me what the characters say on the lozenge?

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 8:20 am
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mar 15th 06 10:43 pm

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by MarshalN » Dec 10th 12 8:20 am

The company that made it is Kingzen, Houde is the brand name they applied to this tea. It's like Toyota calling a car Camry. Houde is Camry. Kingzen is Toyota.

The words on the brick are 鑫藏 Xincang

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 8:32 am
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Tead Off » Dec 10th 12 8:32 am

MarshalN wrote:The company that made it is Kingzen, Houde is the brand name they applied to this tea. It's like Toyota calling a car Camry. Houde is Camry. Kingzen is Toyota.

The words on the brick are 鑫藏 Xincang
Thanks. Do you know what Xincang refers to? Do you have any experience drinking this type of tea?

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 8:34 am
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mar 15th 06 10:43 pm

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by MarshalN » Dec 10th 12 8:34 am

Xincang is just a fancy name. You can look up the dictionary, but it is just a name, really. This is puerh chagao - it's not very good, just concentrated pu. Expensive and you have no idea what's actually in it. You're better off drinking leaves.

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 8:41 am
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Tead Off » Dec 10th 12 8:41 am

MarshalN wrote:Xincang is just a fancy name. You can look up the dictionary, but it is just a name, really. This is puerh chagao - it's not very good, just concentrated pu. Expensive and you have no idea what's actually in it. You're better off drinking leaves.
Yes, it's expensive. I'm not about to switch. There is no substitute for playing with the leaves, plus the taste is very different from the actual leaves. Seems more like a supplement than a tea.

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 2:09 pm
Posts: 691
Joined: Mar 10th 11 1:17 pm
Location: on top of a mountain.

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by gasninja » Dec 10th 12 2:09 pm

Is that similar to the tea gels at yunnan sourcing?

I highly doubt that they are using good Moacha as a base ingredient.

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 3:20 pm
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mar 15th 06 10:43 pm

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by MarshalN » Dec 10th 12 3:20 pm

gasninja wrote:Is that similar to the tea gels at yunnan sourcing?

I highly doubt that they are using good Moacha as a base ingredient.
You have to be crazy to use good maocha for this

User avatar
Dec 10th 12 3:59 pm
Posts: 474
Joined: Jan 23rd 07 7:50 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Evan Draper » Dec 10th 12 3:59 pm

To answer your question, I believe the brand reads 厚徳 hòu dé, which might translate to something like "profound humanity."

User avatar
Dec 11th 12 7:34 am
Posts: 1335
Joined: May 27th 09 8:55 pm

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by teaisme » Dec 11th 12 7:34 am

From houde's website...

Hou is the Chinese word for "thick, plenty of, rich in …"
De is the Chinese word for good and proper behaviors

pretty good transaltion evan, I always thought it meant good stuff (think I need to pay more attention to the tonal marks) :lol:

User avatar
Dec 12th 12 2:09 am
Vendor Member
Posts: 512
Joined: Mar 19th 12 6:49 am
Location: Frequently Moving Around

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by TwoDog2 » Dec 12th 12 2:09 am

It is a puer concentrate. I would say it's biggest pro is convenience. As far as the cooling effects and feelings in the stomach, etc., just brewing good puer will yield better results.

A comparison of freshly squeezed juice and juice from a concentrate is not far off.

User avatar
Dec 12th 12 3:37 am
Posts: 2817
Joined: Oct 17th 08 1:01 am
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Drax » Dec 12th 12 3:37 am

This point may not be as critical, but a tea concentrate is probably going to be lacking a whole subset of chemicals -- the lighter, more volatile ones. I would imagine that the process of concentrating the tea extract into solid form involves a lot of heating, which would boil away chemical compounds of lighter weight.

I can't say how those compounds affect the aroma and taste, but again, they will likely be missing from this solidified form.

User avatar
Dec 12th 12 4:39 am
Posts: 4583
Joined: Apr 1st 09 4:48 am
Location: Bangkok

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by Tead Off » Dec 12th 12 4:39 am

Drax wrote:This point may not be as critical, but a tea concentrate is probably going to be lacking a whole subset of chemicals -- the lighter, more volatile ones. I would imagine that the process of concentrating the tea extract into solid form involves a lot of heating, which would boil away chemical compounds of lighter weight.

I can't say how those compounds affect the aroma and taste, but again, they will likely be missing from this solidified form.
One of the claims that are being made about this type of product is the process they use to extract the beneficial properties of the tea. Theoretically, you could get more of the beneficial properties out of a product like this. Personally, I don't drink tea to solely benefit from the properties. I like the process of brewing, taste, aroma, and fiddling with the tea ware. With a product like this, all the above are missing and you are left with a product that is more like taking a supplement. The taste and aroma are much more subdued and almost unrecognizable from the original leaves. I would have no interest in buying and using this kind of product but I can see how it could be marketed as a 'tonic' which the Chinese, in particular, seem to have a fondness for.

User avatar
Dec 12th 12 5:03 am
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mar 15th 06 10:43 pm

Re: Tea Essence or Tea Cream

by MarshalN » Dec 12th 12 5:03 am

Tead Off wrote: One of the claims that are being made about this type of product is the process they use to extract the beneficial properties of the tea. Theoretically, you could get more of the beneficial properties out of a product like this. Personally, I don't drink tea to solely benefit from the properties. I like the process of brewing, taste, aroma, and fiddling with the tea ware. With a product like this, all the above are missing and you are left with a product that is more like taking a supplement. The taste and aroma are much more subdued and almost unrecognizable from the original leaves. I would have no interest in buying and using this kind of product but I can see how it could be marketed as a 'tonic' which the Chinese, in particular, seem to have a fondness for.
To which I say I think this is all BS. Yes, it's marketed as a kind of medicinal thing, but honestly - who are we kidding? Back then it might have indeed been boiled and reduced the old fashioned way, but these days if they make this at all, it's in giant stainless steel vats.